NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-30-2015, 09:38 AM

Default Ouch...this guy bought a fake 52 Mantle

I found this video on youtube, of a dealer filming as he buys himself a 52 Mickey Mantle.

Sadly, it's clear to me it's one of the fakes making the rounds, with the diagnostic Y in Mickey's signature far too high to be authentic. Not to mention, if you watch in HD, it is clear this card has been printed via a modern process. it doesn't look right at all.

I messaged the fellow to tell him he had a fake and needed to return it. No reply from him as yet. You think a dealer of all people would know better how to spot a clear phony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyokdURQpIM
Old 07-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Scott Maxell

Why on earth would anyone buy a raw version of a card so heavily counterfeited?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited by granite75; 07-30-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Every Minute...

As they say "there's one born every minute". While I do not profess to know if that card is genuine or not from the shabby 2 minute sideways? video, I can tell you that whoever buys one of those that is not in a TPG holder is crazy.

The seller looked very trustworthy though and not nervous at all.

Peace, Mike
Old 07-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

This one just ended. RAW as well
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mantl...item28046712b1
You gotta love the title description:
Quote:
“**I did bring to a card collector and after they looked at it I was told that it may be real and it looks to be in good condition but he cannot be sure without sending in to get graded-then he offered me Two-Hundred dollars for it but I think I can get more**This was found among my grand-fathers items while cleaning out his house after passing**I know nothing about grading cards so I am setting the condition at the lowest grade "Acceptable" but you can look at the card and judge the condition for yourself and grade it at what you think it is**Does have creasing,worn corners,pin hole in top of card,etc**The card is ungraded and from what I have read online this is commonly reprinted so it is being listed as a reprint so please bid accordingly**If you have any questions please ask them before bidding**”
Over 30 bidders must think it is real for over 300 bucks worth. Oouch it jumped 200+ in the last minute- Sold for 501 dollars

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 07-30-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Dave

Jeez, must be a common practice to put a pinhole at the top of these to make them look more "authentic".
Old 07-30-2015, 06:04 PM
je.sse @rnot

Something about that whole video seems fake. And like someone else mentioned what professional card dealer would buy an obvious fake.

As for the one Chris posted I see a lot of these on Ebay and just don't understand how people keep paying hundreds of dollars for reprints.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:40 PM
Steve

Whenever a seller pointedly mentions his grandfather, or that he's only listing it as reprint because he "knows nothing about grading" run - do not walk - for the nearest exit.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:11 PM
Al Richter

Default Grandfather

Agreed. It would begetter to say you found it inside a wall while you were remodeling your den, and then say your wife said she had heard Mantle cards were valuable and suggested you put it on eBay to get other opinions.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-31-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Agreed. It would begetter to say you found it inside a wall while you were remodeling your den, and then say your wife said she had heard Mantle cards were valuable and suggested you put it on eBay to get other opinions.
True story, but one of my favorite cards came from my grandfather who found it when he was doing construction I actually bid on an incredibly rare piece--a Post Tens box featuring Mickey Mantle--that a guy claimed he found when remodeling a house. It went for substantially more than I could justify spending but interesting story nonetheless.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:54 AM
Al Richter

Default From the hole in the wall

See, I knew that approach was a winner
Old 08-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite75 View Post
Why on earth would anyone buy a raw version of a card so heavily counterfeited?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I often wonder That myself.

I hope I can start looking for one but when I do it has to be graded atleast authentic.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:18 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
True story, but one of my favorite cards came from my grandfather who found it when he was doing construction I actually bid on an incredibly rare piece--a Post Tens box featuring Mickey Mantle--that a guy claimed he found when remodeling a house. It went for substantially more than I could justify spending but interesting story nonetheless.
Something like that I could believe. Not exactly a heavily counterfeited card. I think anyone who actually found a 52 Mantle in the wall, grandpa's attic, etc, would quickly do an online search to determine the value. Then they would figure out it needs to be authenticated and send it in. Or someone at a local baseball card shop would snap it up when it walked in.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Steve

Default ...Cut off your schlausen...

Didn't mean to cast any aspersions on people who find their grandpa's stash: was just pointing out the way-too-common sales pitch used by shady dealers posing as collectibles or sports naifs in order to hustle buyers looking to take advantage of such supposed ignorance. I like Al's variation on the sucker lure, but could imagine a hypester coming up with - (cue the old Carson routine with Art Fern waving his baton) - "this vintage Mantle card was found by a little old lady rummaging through her recently deceased husband's bank deposit box, blah, blah...."
Old 08-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Al Richter

Default Alternative

I was wandering through these old ruins with my grandfather on the side of a cliff in a place called Canyon de Chelly...or something like that ...and spotted this old driftwood box in the corner of a room under some lose gravel....I am getting kind of excited just remembering it.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Chris,

How do you distinguish a 61 Post Tens Mantle from a regular 61 Post Mantle? Do you need the entire oblong box to tell? Or is the back different?

Just curious......not meant specifically for Chris so anyone feel free to chime in.

Z
Old 08-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Steve

Default brush off the gravel

I think Al answered that question
Old 08-07-2015, 08:17 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Chris,

How do you distinguish a 61 Post Tens Mantle from a regular 61 Post Mantle? Do you need the entire oblong box to tell? Or is the back different?

Just curious......not meant specifically for Chris so anyone feel free to chime in.

Z
Hi,

It was the entire oblong box. I'm not sure if there are any variations in the cards releases in that format or even if the name I'm using for it is accurate. I've only seen two for sale but have not actively been searching for them.