NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-12-2023, 10:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Fair enough. I guess you always seemed so full of piss and vinegar when it comes to card doctoring that you could chew nails and spit rust. But I guess at some point it probably starts to seem like a Sisyphean battle.
My enthusiasm was fueled by the expectation or at least hope that something finally was going to be done against some bad players. At some point playing Don Quixote is stupid lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-12-2023 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:24 AM
J0hn Collin$

Again, the whole thing just smacks so much of moot point to me. Even after a major scandal amongst graders / PWCC in 2020-21, we are back to business as usual. Stuff trumps all for the most part, assuming it's in a nice slab with a number grade. The graders aren't going after card doctors. The auction houses aren't going after card doctors. Those who would mobilize the wherewithal to go after them in the hobby simply don't exist in significant number. And whether or not what these folks are doing extends to "illegal" over and above just "immoral", the FBI and the federal government don't appear to be going after them either.

Seems the most we can do is talk about how bad / frustrating it all is. Repetitively.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-13-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:35 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

One thing no one seems to be talking about is that within our lifetimes, many of our cards will deteriorate to the point of no return unless they are properly conserved. That means de-acidified, cleaned of foreign materials, and stabilized. Most of our stuff was made using wood-based pulp that is rife with lignin and acids. Many 100-year-old strip cards, postcards and Exhibit cards are already quite brittle, and many prewar newsprint items are falling apart. I have boxing pieces that are nearly 200 years old and are fine because they were made with cotton rag paper, and I have thrown away wood-pulp based items that are falling apart after 100 years.

Is it going to be 'doctoring' if a collector takes steps to address these conditions with proper conservation techniques? Because if the answer is "yes", you better get ready to say goodbye to a lot of W cards, premiums and memorabilia.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-13-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
One thing no one seems to be talking about is that within our lifetimes, many of our cards will deteriorate to the point of no return unless they are properly conserved. That means de-acidified, cleaned of foreign materials, and stabilized. Most of our stuff was made using wood-based pulp that is rife with lignin and acids. Many 100-year-old strip cards, postcards and Exhibit cards are already quite brittle, and many prewar newsprint items are falling apart. I have boxing pieces that are nearly 200 years old and are fine because they were made with cotton rag paper, and I have thrown away wood-pulp based items that are falling apart after 100 years.

Is it going to be 'doctoring' if a collector takes steps to address these conditions with proper conservation techniques? Because if the answer is "yes", you better get ready to say goodbye to a lot of W cards, premiums and memorabilia.
To me doctoring is something done but not disclosed in order to deceive.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:14 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

Adam -

Curious about what the solution is to preserve these items. I'm certainly not against preservation, especially preservation that is obvious and known to everyone, rather than performed to deceive.

But I'm also completely ignorant about what that would entail. How do you properly conserve that card without the cure being worse than the disease?

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 01-30-2024, 07:11 AM
Adam Towle

Default Lots to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I'm sure many around here will have lots to say!

Particularly around the notion that it's appropriate to make changes to cards. Seems like we've had numberless debates over the range of acceptable activities, with a wide range of opinions. Most people seem to be sorta okay with soaking cards or using a nylon to take a gum stain off of a card. Maybe using a spoon to bend back a bent corner. But beyond that, it gets pretty contentious in a hurry. And many commentators also recommend disclosing any of these modifications to a potential buyer.

Having said that, from what I can tell, most people around here feel that the services provided by Gone with the Stain aren't appropriate for baseball cards. There have even been some posts casting a pox upon any cards subject to their services, hexing them to crumble into dust.
everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:13 AM
Adam Towle

Default Please explain more

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The business is centered on altering cards for people to then sell as if they weren’t restored. Done with a wink of legitimacy of course, they aren’t doing the fraud part themselves directly, but they know damn well what their service is for.

Many will heavily frown on people altering cards. Gone with the Stain isn’t soaking in water to remove cards from a scrapbook.
Just out of curiosity since you know our business and how we do things how is it that we're removing cards from scrapbooks can you shed some light on our process and what we use if we're not using water? Since you supposedly have the answer already why don't you share to the world what you know.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:07 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

*grabs popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton21 View Post
Just out of curiosity since you know our business and how we do things how is it that we're removing cards from scrapbooks can you shed some light on our process and what we use if we're not using water? Since you supposedly have the answer already why don't you share to the world what you know.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:08 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:

Truth, always a fan of your Dad!

Hatters gonna hat, and you do you.

We have all types of people on this forum, but remember, they will boot you if they want to, or feel you are advertising without paying.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-30-2024, 11:24 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I am sure your firm has used water to soak an item out. What I am saying is that this is not all you do - using an example of something which is and has been considered benign by the general hobby for a very long time. Your own website, advertising and testimonials makes it extremely clear you are doing far more; that's what you are openly selling.

I stand by what I said. You cannot possibly not know that most of these cards are being worked on to get past graders and then sold without disclosure of the work done. This is the problem and criticism I am making (well, made, you are rather late). The wink and the nod is that your family doesn't commit the fraud, but provides the enabling the service. I have yet to see people selling cards with open and honest disclosure of your alterations and work, for some mysterious reason the minority popcorn gallery here consistently refuses to address.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:36 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I’m guessing that you’re new(ish), based on the small number of posts you’ve made to date. So welcome to the fun house!

If you’re looking for adventure, there’s a thread on the main page about how every slabbed card has a story, with a link to some videos showing how various cards have been treated to improve their appearance. I’m sure the group would love to hear your thoughts about the posts in that thread.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 01-30-2024 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 12:13 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I am very interested in the debate and the opinions and conversations. For clarity, I haven't even removed wax stains with panty hose. Pushing a corner down with my finger is the only thing I have ever personally done with a card.

Quote:
I am sure your firm has used water to soak an item out. What I am saying is that this is not all you do - using an example of something which is and has been considered benign by the general hobby for a very long time. Your own website, advertising and testimonials makes it extremely clear you are doing far more; that's what you are openly selling.

I stand by what I said. You cannot possibly not know that most of these cards are being worked on to get past graders and then sold without disclosure of the work done. This is the problem and criticism I am making (well, made, you are rather late). The wink and the nod is that your family doesn't commit the fraud, but provides the enabling the service. I have yet to see people selling cards with open and honest disclosure of your alterations and work, for some mysterious reason the minority popcorn gallery here consistently refuses to address.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:29 AM
Adam Towle

Quote:
The business is centered on altering cards for people to then sell as if they weren’t restored. Done with a wink of legitimacy of course, they aren’t doing the fraud part themselves directly, but they know damn well what their service is for.

Many will heavily frown on people altering cards. Gone with the Stain isn’t soaking in water to remove cards from a scrapbook.
By all means can you please educate us all and tell us exactly what it is that you think we use for removing cards from scrapbooks?
Old 03-20-2024, 10:30 AM
Adam Towle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Don’t mess with guys like this. They are basically in the business of altering cards to try and pass off as better for more money. Don’t think that they don’t ruin their fair share of not only cards but others reputations along the way for what they do. Steer clear if you want to keep your good name intact. Clear water soaking out of a scrapbook is not what they are all about.
So Rocky since you know so much about gone with the stain And what we supposedly do I would like you to educate us and the baseball card world exactly what it is that you think we do!?
Old 03-20-2024, 03:46 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
By all means can you please educate us all and tell us exactly what it is that you think we use for removing cards from scrapbooks?
You already did this lol. See post 60.