NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-27-2022, 09:02 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
John---that's the question that interests me. When were the first Christmas repacks produced, where, by whom and did they really ever show up in big retail stores. The lack of any real evidence about earlier production and distribution would seem to indicate they may all be post 1980, or in the case of many of them even later, productions
Exactly. The idea is very appealing - I would like to believe that some of these are real (in terms of the vintage timeframe). But I'm not sure that I do.

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-27-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:12 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Again. I have never seen anyone assert that they were a Topps-issued product. So yes, one could ask Topps, but I'm not sure why that would be necessary. I would be more interested to know if the repacking (for at least some of them) occured in 1963, or if they are all post 1980's shams. From what I can tell the majority here believe that these are not "vintage era" (pre-1980) repacks at all.
Again, my mistake then as I thought there were some that still weren't sure if these were Topps issued or not, and wasn't confining that to just the people posting in this thread.

And I am actually curious, like yourself and some others, as to who was doing these repacks, when they did start, and how they were being distributed (retail stores, flea markets, etc.), as well. And though it may be a reach, did anyone think to contact Topps about these on the off chance that they actually may know something about them? Though not especially likely, it is possible that whoever started doing these had contacted Topps to see if they would have an issue with what they ended up doing. Or upon finding out about these Christmas and other packs and seeing them out there for sale, someone from Topps may have been charged with investigating who was doing this to make sure no lines were being crossed in regard to the Topps name or products. Would have thought that would be a rather obvious source to at least question if someone were truly and very seriously investigating this issue. I'm only curious, and not that concerned to contact Topps myself. Just wondering if someone else may have thought to contact and ask Topps though, and if so, what they found out.

And I go along with the majority in thinking these aren't likely "vintage" either. What throws me though are the claims that some people have opened these and actually found some valuable cards in them. One would tend to think that by the 80's, the more valuable cards from the much earlier vintage sets would be well known, and therefore very unlikely to have been included by scammers putting together these then sham packs. Or is it possible the people making statements about finding valuable cards in one of the repacks, or supposedly showing it on a video of one of these repacks being opened, are also party to the sham? It is also possible that a scammer putting these together may not have known every valuable card in the sets, and mistakenly missed and included a few that some very lucky person(s) found. Honestly don't know, and realize this is something we may never truly know.

Last edited by BobC; 10-27-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:21 AM
Al Richter

While I do not recall any sellers claiming these were Topps originated packs, I do think some sellers imply that Topps sold or gave some excess inventory to a specific 3d party to repackage and sell at retail. I have never seen any specific documentation or substantiation of that
Old 10-27-2022, 10:47 AM

Here’s a flyer for 1969 Topps stockings. I’m fairly certain that any Xmas stockings produce by Topps or in conjunction with Topps had cards packaged inside a wax or cello wrapping then inserted in the stocking, not loose like the current ebay Xmas stockings.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9D1B0320-9FAB-45A0-BD3E-4A98422BBE31.jpg (192.8 KB, 89 views)
Old 10-27-2022, 10:48 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
While I do not recall any sellers claiming these were Topps originated packs, I do think some sellers imply that Topps sold or gave some excess inventory to a specific 3d party to repackage and sell at retail. I have never seen any specific documentation or substantiation of that
And I seem to remember hearing that as well somewhere. And another reason I'd asked about anyone having contacted Topps regarding this to see what they may know or remember. If Topps was selling excess inventory to a specific 3rd party for retail sale, one would think Topps should have some kind of record of that, and who the 3rd party was. But you don't know unless you try asking!
Old 10-27-2022, 11:59 AM
Jim

My recollection from the very early 60s (maybe 61/62/63 in MA) was that there were rack packs, likely repackaged from Topps overstock at end of year, and that I would receive a couple of packs each Christmas as a 6/7/8 year old. I believe that they were sold at a local Woolworth's 5 & 10 (similarly, bundles of repackaged comic books were also sold there). The text in the blog at the following URL seems to support that:

https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/author/statsfax/

The story (set in MI I think) proceeds chronologically so scroll down to 1963 to see the rack pack reference if you're not wanting to read the entirety.

Also check out the posting at this URL where the author recounts his Woolworth's experience (in CA) from 1959.

https://ladodgertalk.com/2020/12/27/...hings-dodgers/

Neither of these authors seem to have any agenda with respect to repackaged rack packs... they're just telling their story.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:18 PM
Al Richter

Thanks for sharing Jim
Old 10-27-2022, 09:12 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Justin---peace buddy. Sorry for my tone
Lol, no worries.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:28 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
I feel that old’ Sy seemed to have an internal hustle most of the time and while he may have sold overstock at a discount it just seems weird that the repacker removed them all from the packs first. The documented example had them in the pack. I am sure he had overstock but I doubt he let store owners return it like is done now. I would like to know how those early years dumped.

When the late 70s and early 80s came along they used fun packs to dump overstock. The Halloween fun packs were repacked in the rainbow wrappers, but that seemed like more of a money hustle so they could shrink the packs down to 4 cards and have more packs with less cards.

After those, I remember my LCS would get the overstock cheap and sell them for 5 bucks a box. Those were the boxes that I still see with the big paint marker slash across the lid.

I feel these are going to remain a hobby mystery forever unless someone finds some real proof. That seems like one needle in an Sears Tower sized haystack.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:38 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Off subject and thinking of those overstock black markered boxes gave me a fun memory.

I remember walking in the shop and the owner just got an overstock case of 84’ Topps Hockey to blow out. They barely sold that year, but my pocket had a crisp 20 and my young self walked out with 4 boxes.

It was fun to break and I set them aside. It wasn’t long before I became the neighborhood king for dropping jaws when I would be the young kid in Michigan who could fan out 30+ Steve Yzerman rookies, lol.

Fun times.

Last edited by JustinD; 10-27-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

With the crazy prices being asked now, I can see someone making them. Especially the ones showing stars.

The one I bought is a 58, and has a High number on the back. At the time I bought it, the price I paid wasn't much different than buying a High number and a handful of commons.

I'd have to do a bunch of looking stuff up, but when they were first put out there, I think it was still fairly easy to pick up batches of commons from most years in fairly good condition. By the time the other years came around like 52s it didn't seem like it would be worth the effort for some sets.

What's interesting is that and lets just go with assumptions.
The first were repacks done sometime around the late 90's
Then there were more later.
And the same graphic is still available and being used for stocking shape repacks of various kinds today.
That's 20+ years if not more like 30 of the same graphics on a commercially available cellophane sleeve.
That's kind of impressive.
And who makes those wrappers shouldn't be much of a secret.

A quick internet search found nothing though, so the wrapping may only be available in bulk or the packer makes it themselves, indicating a bigger company.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

I don't know how I missed the posts prior, or if they came in while I was making mine.

Anyway...

The ad with the stocking would seem to be the same stocking sleeve that's used now, more than 50 years later. That's really a surprise.

I wonder if any of those Christmas offers had Topps product numbers? Or if they were more generic.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:11 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I don't know how I missed the posts prior, or if they came in while I was making mine.

Anyway...

The ad with the stocking would seem to be the same stocking sleeve that's used now, more than 50 years later. That's really a surprise.

I wonder if any of those Christmas offers had Topps product numbers? Or if they were more generic.
Steve,

Which ad(s) are you referring to? There are three different pictures of three different stockings in posts #40, #43, and #54.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:25 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Steve,

Which ad(s) are you referring to? There are three different pictures of three different stockings in posts #40, #43, and #54.
I think he's saying post #54 shows a stocking package from 1969 and post #43 shows a more modern package with about 50 years between the two.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I think he's saying post #54 shows a stocking package from 1969 and post #43 shows a more modern package with about 50 years between the two.
Was thinking the same, but wanted to verify and not just assume.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:12 AM
Steve Birmingham

Yes, 43 and 54 show very similar items.
And the link I posted in 33 for retrocandy online shows another that's out of stock but presumably currently available with the same cellophane stocking and different header cards.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:42 AM
David M.

So here are the new and old together. These do seem to have very similar wrapper graphics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Christmas Stockings Offered.jpg (173.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 1953 Christmas Rack Pack.jpg (142.7 KB, 29 views)