NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default 13-2 Team with only 3 Pro bowlers? 2-13 Team with 5 Pro bowlers?

Wow, if this is not the ultimate disrespect for how overrated everyone thinks the Falcons are, I don't know what is. The Chiefs have won a grand total of 2 games, and they have 5 Pro bowlers! Wonder when the last time a team with only 2 losses had only 3 Pro bowlers? I really hope they use this as motivation to prove alot of people wrong...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 12-27-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Jake

In college football USC would most likely send more "pro bowlers" then Stanford. It's not all about talent.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Jeff

To me here the story is not the lack of respect for the Falcons, they're not gonna get any until they win a playoff game with Smith & Ryan, the story is how a horrible Chiefs team can have five pro bowlers.

I lived in ATL for 18 years and have lived in KC for the last 18 months so I've seen both firsthand.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 12-27-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

You are probably right Jeff. How in the hell can the Kansas City Chiefs have 5 Pro Bowlers? The Falcons beat them early in the year by like 30+ points, and they scored on their first 8 possessions! The Chiefs absolutely suck....
Old 12-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Jeff

The Chiefs have one legitimate PBler, Jamaal Charles. Brandon Flowers and Tamba might be alternates but that's it. On the Falcons, I think that Ryan, White and Jones all should be but WR is a fat position in the NFC and Gonzo has had a good year but not great, well most likely great for his age. What a stud he has been.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 12-27-2012, 09:06 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

The biggest surprise to me was no Falcons making it on defense. They get all the hype on their talent on the offensive side of the ball, but it's been the defense more times than not that have bailed them out. I really thought they would have had at least 4 make it on defense....
Old 12-27-2012, 12:21 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I understand the sentiment here, and agree that this specific scenario isn't right. But looking at overall team performance isn't the way to judge pro-bowlers, it only judges the quality of the rest of the team surrounding said pro-bowlers. Theoretically, I could envision a very top heavy team with 4 or 5 Great players, while the rest of the team is absolutely awful resulting in a 2-14 record. I could also see a very deep team, with a lot of solid players and maybe 2 or 3 great players going 14-2.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Jeff

David,
That all sounds logical but have you watched the Chiefs?
Not 5 PBlers there.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:32 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
David,
Not 5 PBlers there.
+1....The Chiefs having 5 Pro bowlers might be the biggest joke in the history of all Pro Bowls. I think this year there were 8 or 9 teams who did not have a single one. What kind of sense does that make?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
+1....The Chiefs having 5 Pro bowlers might be the biggest joke in the history of all Pro Bowls.
Except for the actual pro bowl itself.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
Except for the actual pro bowl itself.
I'll agree with this. With the exception of the The Real Housewives of Anywhere, the Pro Bowl may be about about the biggest waste of airtime ever.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
David,
Not 5 PBlers there.
I'm right there with ya. And I even said it wasn't right in this specific scenario.

The point of my post was to agree with the sentiment regarding the Chiefs. But also acknowledge that I didn't think that team records should necessarily determine the amount of pro-bowlers that a team should/could be deserving.. Especially when it comes to non-skill position players. Especially when comparing the numbers of two teams in different conferences. So it's not like these Chiefs players were chosen over Falcons players.

I can agree with Charles and the Punter. I'm actually kinda ok with Hali as well. Derrick Johnson has to be a complete a total joke though. Especially with some very worthy candidates that he's getting the nod over. D'quell Jackson comes to mind first(probably because I'm a Cleveland fan but I'm sure there's other players). D'Q is having a hell of a lot better of a year than Johnson.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Jeff P

This is what happens when the fans are allowed to vote. Is football a sport or entertainment? If it's all about entertainment, then the fans should rule. If it's about actual performance, having fans vote is a farce.

jeff
Old 12-27-2012, 04:58 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Jeff- totally agree with you....
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM

I am not sure but I believe the Giants (Super Bowl Champs) had only 3 pro-bowlers last year. For a fan of a team that has never won anything I would worry about at least winning a playoff game than the silly pro-bowl voting. The Falcons have had a great year and deserve a lot of praise but SD was 14-2 a few years ago and lost in the playoffs and never recovered and KC was the same a decade ago and never recovered. Atlanta seems to me like a paper Tiger so lets see them get to at least the Super Bowl to validate their season. They were dogs last year against a 9-7 team in the first round as the game was non competitive.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Tim M

You mean some people actually watch it. An exhibition game at best. The only players who care, it seems, are the ones who have bonuses in their contract. I usually bet the over. lol