NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1950 to 1959 Baseball cards- B/S/T

Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Mark Q

Default Unopened Packs_need advice

Was wondering if I may get some advice on purchasing unopened packs from the early to mid 70's era. Thought this may be a good stocking stuffer x-mas present, but I don't want to get duped. Any advice and/or dealer referrals is much appreciated. Also, when a pack is PSA graded, does that guarantee that the pack has never been opened or is that just for condition grading? Thanks
Mark
Old 09-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Scott

I would go after packs that are PSA Graded only. GAI has been grading some fraudulent cello packs, and I wouldn't trust anything anymore with them, to be on the safe side.

Steve Hart of the Baseball card exchange is the recognized expert in authentic packs. Keep in mind tho, that not all "ungraded" packs are fake. If you are risking that route, go w somone w good feedback in packs, and satisfied customers.

The grades to my knowledge are for condition and the pack having the original untampered seal.

I used to collect them years back, a lot of fun, but for expensive ones, just don't get like me and HAVE TO OPEN SOMETHING UP..to satisfy a fix..haha.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Mark Q

thanks Scott. Yeah, I'm looking to buy maybe a half dozen or so mid 70's packs. Just didn't want someone to open a pack a find a bunch of Star Wars cards inside. thanks- mark
Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Scott Levy

I'm going to be dating myself here .... but I remember a guy named "the baseball kid" aka mark murphy used to specialize in unopened material ... and his stuff was always genuine. But that was a decade ago....not sure if he's still in the biz.

-S
Old 09-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottglevy View Post
I'm going to be dating myself here .... but I remember a guy named "the baseball kid" aka mark murphy used to specialize in unopened material ... and his stuff was always genuine. But that was a decade ago....not sure if he's still in the biz.

-S
I remember him too. Apparently he is still in business. If you go to www.bbckid.com it says copyright 2010 at the bottom.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Mark Murphy had his entire inventory either burned or water damaged several years back. I forget which one. But he lost his entire inventory. He had lots of old wax packs, including a few boxes of unopened 1952 Topps. I bought 1960's packs from him. They were always nice. I don't think he has any of those left after his incident

Mark is a very good guy to work with and he is very knowledgeable. I believe he has a little booklet on how to determine if a pack has been opened.

Cy
Old 09-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Scott

Yes, I thought of Mark too, but hadn't heard much about him. Yes, he has an unopened pack price guide/guidebook , which is probably for sale on his website.

Either way, there is nothing like the thrill of opening up a mid 70s pack, and pulling out a star all these years later. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Phil Garry

This thread might be better served if it were moved to the Postwar Cards section since there is no item being bought, sold or traded here.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Mark Q

thanks everybody!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Anthøny N. ex

your safest bet is to order from Steve Hart at BBCardExchange. He's the most reputable source for packs and a really good guy to deal with.
http://www.bbcexchange.com/