NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Peter Calderon

Default Heritage Spring Auction - Ends April 19 & 20 - Bidding has Begun!

Hey Everyone,

Bidding for the Heritage April Sports Cards Catalog Auction has already started! Ending dates are April 19 and 20, 2018. This year, Heritage is breaking up our usual huge spring catalog auction into two auctions. We will have one in May as we always have but that will be memorabilia only. The April auction is cards, cards and more cards! There is an exciting selection of almost 2,000 lots. The ending of the auction is the same format it has been for years with open bidding ending at 10pm central time then an extended period where each lot ends on an individual basis based on a 30-minute clock rule. You have to have placed a bid on a lot before 10pm central time to be able to bid during the 30-minute extended period. Be sure to check the second session card lots ending on April 20 as there is, as always, a nice selection. The home page for the auction is at: https://sports.ha.com/c/search-resul...owseAll-071515

Registration is free!

This auction has some great cards for both pre- and post-war collectors. Many of the cards come from new finds from outside the hobby and are being auctioned for the first time. Some highlights:

- The Connecticut Find – 19th Century collection featuring an 1888 N338-2 S.F. Hess Mickey Welch plus other rare S.F. Hess cards. Among the dozens of N172 Old Judge cards are two cards of Bid McPhee, Ewing & Mascot, the “New York Mascot” card, plus ten previously unknown team variations including two new Keefe cards;

- Other N172s include Delahanty, Wright, Stovey and Whitney & Dog and McGunnigle;

- 1888 N162 Goodwin "Champions" King Kelly PSA NM-MT 8;

- 1887 N690-1 Kalamazoo Bats Cabinets Bierbauer/Gallagher;

- Post Cards - Dietsche Cubs complete set, PC758 Max Stein cards of Ty Cobb and Buck Weaver, 1908 Suhling $ In Shield Chicago Cubs/White Sox Ed Walsh, 1908-09 Rose Company Christy Mathewson and first tiem offerings of PC796 Johnson, Cobb and Cobb/Wagner;

- T206s – Tolstoi, Old Mill and Polar Bear Cobb portraits, Old Mill Walter Johnson (Hands at Chest) PSA NM-MT 8, Sweet Caporal 350-460/42 Cy Young (Glove Shows) PSA NM-MT 8;

- Candy/Caramel – Great selection of E92 Nadja, E92 Dockman, E93 and E95 including Cobb and Wagner cards, E90-3s, E104-3 Nadja, an E94 Close Candy "Old" Cy Young in PSA 7 and a great selection of E98 Black Swamp cards;

- The only E98 Christy Mathewson card from the Black Swamp Find in PSA EX-MT 6 (MC);

- 1914 Cracker Jack cards of Ty Cobb and Jackson plus Mathewson, Cady, and Pratt rarities;

- 1915 Cracker Jack cards of Ty Cobb and Jackson;

- Eight Men Out Black Sox - A great selection including E270 Colgan's Tin Tops Ed Cicotte, Green-Joyce Hap Felsch, E135 Collins-McCarthy Chick Gandil, E137 Zeenut Swede Risberg & Claude Williams, D310 Buck Weaver, E100 Buck Weaver, D350-1 Standard Biscuit Buck Weaver, plus others including brands like Tango Eggs, Holsum Bread, Herpolsheimer's and Boston Store;

- 1925 Exhibit Gehrig Rookie;

- Babe Ruth - 1916 M101-5 Sporting News (Blank Back) Rookie PSA NM 7, 1917-20 M101-6 Felix Mendelsohn (Yankees), 1921 Exhibits, 1921 E121 American Caramel, 1921-23 E220 National Caramel, W517, Goudey and more;

- 1922 W575-2 Complete Set of (40);

- Extremely rare 1928 Star Player Candy Complete Set (72);

- 1939 Play Ball Ted Williams #92 SGC 92 plus a lot more.

Catalogs – They will be mailed very shortly. If you would like a free catalog please email me all of your mailing information at peterc@ha.com and we will send one out. To keep getting free catalogs we ask (okay, require) that you place a min. of $1,000 in bids in each catalog auction. There are going to be seven in 2018. Bids need to be placed in each catalog auction. Monthly auctions do not count. If there is no activity for even one auction they may not send out a catalog. I know this may sound harsh but the simple answer is these catalogs are becoming so expensive and we are sending out more and more each auction.

Post-war fans will not be disappointed either, check out the “Windy City Collection” and I hear we have a really nice ’52 Mantle.

Good Luck and Thank You for Bidding,

Peter
Old 04-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Peter Calderon

Default Heritage Auctions - Bidding Ends Tomorrow & Friday!

Hello. Just a friendly reminder that you still have over 24 hours left to get in your initial bids! This a two-day auction so open bidding ends at 10 pm central time on:

Thursday - April 19 for lot #'s 80001 to 81125!

Friday - April 20 for lot #'s 81126 to 81457!

Friday - April 20 for lot #'s 41458 to 81973 - The Windy City Collection!

Good Luck and Thank You to Everyone Who is Bidding!

Peter
Old 04-18-2018, 04:06 PM
Eric
Eric

Incredible auction once again. Well done Heritage team
Old 04-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

3 replies to this thread and 188 on REA. Anyhow, I agree with Eric, a truly outstanding auction.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-18-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Pete Sycks

Peter and Heritage are great people. There are too many amazing offerings.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 04-18-2018, 05:42 PM
pete ullman

agreed...I'm much more interested in Heritages offerings this time around.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:54 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Definitely a very nice selection on the 2 day auctions.

Member since 2009
Old 04-18-2018, 06:10 PM
pete ullman

im shocked to see a sanella ruth fetching high 3 figures!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Eric
Eric

Postcards are out of control! Had my eyes on a few, bud in them, and have since taken my eyes back off. Very very nice stuff.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:19 AM
Rob

Just curious about the Connecticut find...since I ran an ad in the Hartford Courant for years and bought many collections. Where/how was it found and how big was it?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:50 AM
Mike

I know I'm not a computer nerd, but is it just me or is the Heritage Auction Website a bit confusing and hard to navigate. I can't tell if an item is internet bidding only or after the internet it goes to a live auction etc.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I know I'm not a computer nerd, but is it just me or is the Heritage Auction Website a bit confusing and hard to navigate. I can't tell if an item is internet bidding only or after the internet it goes to a live auction etc.
its a little tricky to get into the auction but once in its pretty easy.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:58 AM
Rob

Quote:
Agree 100%. The most difficult one to navigate. Was engrossed in the bidding options and then realized I was looking at items that don't end for 17 days. What...do they have a dozen auctions a month?

Great stuff...terrible filtering and navigation.

Last edited by Fballguy; 04-19-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:05 AM
Rob

And what's with posting the last minute reserves (well more like 72 hours...but who's counting). Is that to give the consignor an out without turning off bidders early in the process?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:10 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Agree 100%. The most difficult one to navigate.
I think Hunts gets 1st place in that category
Old 04-19-2018, 10:23 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
I think Hunts gets 1st place in that category
+1. It's almost bad enough that I don't even look at their auctions. Almost.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Eric
Eric

Once you figure out their platform, it isn’t difficult. But it certainly isn’t intuitive

However, you can preview upcoming auction items MUCH earlier than most other AHs.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 AM
Peter Calderon

Default Heritage Auctions - Connecticut Find

Hi Guys,

All of the sports cards in the Connecticut find collection can be found in this auction. You can read the story about the Connecticut find here:

Connecticut Find

There are some great baseball cards in the collection but knowing his story makes the Frank Hart card so cool. Fun read. Click Here

Peter
Old 04-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Peter Calderon

Default Heritage Auctions Formats

Quote:

This is an easy one. Sports does not do live auctions. We did but that was years ago. Every auction is online and ends with either a 30 minute clock for catalog auctions or a 15 minute clock for the Sunday (or weekly) auctions. In both cases, lots end on an individual basis.

Peter
Old 04-19-2018, 11:20 AM
Peter Calderon

Default Heritage Auctions

Quote:
Agree 100%. The most difficult one to navigate. Was engrossed in the bidding options and then realized I was looking at items that don't end for 17 days. What...do they have a dozen auctions a month?

Great stuff...terrible filtering and navigation.

"a dozen auctions a month" Shhhhhhh, don't give them ideas.

We have what we call monthly auctions going year-round. They are call monthly because the bidding period is 30-days. One opens and one closes every Sunday night. So yes, we will have four auctions going at any given time plus the Catalog auctions and Platinum auctions which are four times each year. The main sports page will have large icons for all current (or Open) auctions. Click the graphic, "View Lots" or "Auction Home" buttons and it will take you to the lots for just that auction.

Don't forget any "Coming Soon" icons. As we describe and photograph the lots they will appear in this preview section.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Peter Calderon

Default Heritage Auctions - Reserves

Quote:
And what's with posting the last minute reserves (well more like 72 hours...but who's counting). Is that to give the consignor an out without turning off bidders early in the process?
Yes, we post reserves 7 days prior to the ending day of the auction. We do this for transparency. We feel this is far better than hiding them so a bidder will think they won something only to read "Not Sold" when the auction closes. Knowing the reserve allows a bidder to make his/her choice having all the facts. Your only chance of disappointment is that "Outbid Notice."

No, we don't do this to give the consignor an out. Reserves are agreed upon when we take in consignments. Are there exceptions made... yes, but 99.9% of the time reserves are agreed to well in advance. Sometimes reserves are even lowered.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Heritage has amazing auctions, and probably cranks out more stuff every year than any AH on sports collectibles. Always awesome to view their bigger sports auctions and I've been regular customer.

But I understand the sentimental regard most everyone holds for REA and similarly LOTG. Great collectible AHs that aren't national operations, have only sports auctions and sports isn't merely a department in a bigger something, and are run by much a smaller group of dedicated folks. And of course they are both from Joisey.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-19-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:47 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by petecld View Post
Yes, we post reserves 7 days prior to the ending day of the auction. We do this for transparency. We feel this is far better than hiding them so a bidder will think they won something only to read "Not Sold" when the auction closes. Knowing the reserve allows a bidder to make his/her choice having all the facts. Your only chance of disappointment is that "Outbid Notice."
The auctions I'm bidding on end in 3 days and there's a message that says the "reserves (if any) will be posted tonight at 7:00 CST".

Last edited by Fballguy; 04-19-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Peter Calderon

Default Reserves

Quote:
The auctions I'm bidding on end in 3 days and there's a message that says the "reserves (if any) will be posted tonight at 7:00 CST".

Sorry Rob. I found out what you were talking about.

For the catalog auctions - the reserves post 7 days prior to the end of the auction. What I just learned...

For the weekly auctions - the reserves post 3 days before the ending date but 99.999% of the lots in these auctions have no reserves.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Another great auction! Congratulations to Chris and Pete.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:01 AM
pete ullman

I knew that damn ruth m101-6 was/should be a 40K card...I just sold too soon!!!!!
Old 04-20-2018, 07:56 AM
Rob G.

any great buys (good value) or items that went waaaay above expectations that stick out?
Old 04-20-2018, 08:41 AM
Marc S.

I was surprised that the 1914 CJ Grover PSA 7 is a $20k card.

Perhaps not so much in context of other ones that have sold recently, but I was surprised to see that hammer price, for sure
Old 04-20-2018, 08:46 AM
Joshua

Quote:
any great buys (good value) or items that went waaaay above expectations that stick out?
Wow. That Ruth went for a good deal! 384k is a lot but same card sold for 552k a little over a year ago. I guess there is some digestion towards this meteoric rise of his cards, in particular this card. Over the long term the buyer is going to be really happy with his purchase!

Curious if a price premium emerges between the ad backs and blank backs. Seems all of the issues seems to be the blank backs.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
Wow. That Ruth went for a good deal! 384k is a lot but same card sold for 552k a little over a year ago. I guess there is some digestion towards this meteoric rise of his cards, in particular this card. Over the long term the buyer is going to be really happy with his purchase!

Curious if a price premium emerges between the ad backs and blank backs. Seems all of the issues seems to be the blank backs.
Only exponentially, otherwise not that much.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
This is an easy one. Sports does not do live auctions. We did but that was years ago.

Peter
I remember those live auctions. I won my T206 Plank in one of those. (2006)
Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Rennie
Re.ne Gal.letti

Quote:
The 1925 Exhibit Gehrig Rookie SGC 4 went for $78k which was double the estimate price. Just last August a higher grade SGC 5 went for about $80k.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:05 AM

Default Frank Dwyer Old Judge

I imagine Heritage was surprised the Old Judge Frank Dwyer went so high. Their estimate was $400 and up and it sold for over $10K. Obviously Heritage missed (but some bidders didn't) that this card was a Players League card.

From looking at the Old Judge big book, this card seems to be the first one known.

David
Old 04-20-2018, 12:56 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
"a dozen auctions a month" Shhhhhhh, don't give them ideas.

We have what we call monthly auctions going year-round. They are call monthly because the bidding period is 30-days. One opens and one closes every Sunday night. So yes, we will have four auctions going at any given time plus the Catalog auctions and Platinum auctions which are four times each year. The main sports page will have large icons for all current (or Open) auctions. Click the graphic, "View Lots" or "Auction Home" buttons and it will take you to the lots for just that auction.

Don't forget any "Coming Soon" icons. As we describe and photograph the lots they will appear in this preview section.
Quote:
Sorry Rob. I found out what you were talking about.

For the catalog auctions - the reserves post 7 days prior to the end of the auction. What I just learned...

For the weekly auctions - the reserves post 3 days before the ending date but 99.999% of the lots in these auctions have no reserves.
See, it's not that confusing at all. And the rules seem pretty consistent across all Sports auctions.
Ugh.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 04-20-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:31 PM
Peirce Conboy

This was my first heritage auction. I think I won 2 lots? I had winning bids last night then they went into some sort of extended auction. Now today they show up as winning bids and amount won. However nothing shows up under my current orders or the invoices tab.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:46 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgconboy View Post
However nothing shows up under my current orders or the invoices tab.
I believe its a 2-day auction, with more items ending tonight, so invoices likely won't go out till later over the weekend.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Another great auction! Congratulations to Chris and Pete.
Translation... Im really glad to bid on some player league cards that I might need for my collection.

Hi Jay.. Just having some Friday night fun
Old 04-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Peter Calderon

Default Heritage Invoices

Quote:
I believe its a 2-day auction, with more items ending tonight, so invoices likely won't go out till later over the weekend.

Rob is correct. The auction ends tonight and invoices will be generated at some point over the weekend.

Peter
Old 04-20-2018, 09:32 PM
Peirce Conboy

Thanks Rob and Peter.
I almost tried to win another one, the 1932 Caramel Lefty Grove. 100% will own one in the future but just couldn't quite fall in love with the colors. In the overtime bidding for a last e95.