NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Default are these cards worth pursuing? please help asap!

Posted By: carddude

Hey everyone,

glad i ran across this forum. I found an ad on craigslist, and am meeting up with the guy on monday to check his stuff out. problem is, i don't know if his stuff is legit or not. here's what he posted:

"My father and I were recently remodeling my grandparents old house to make into a rental. When we tore down the old lathe boards and plaster to replace it with drywall, we found an old bible in the wall. Inside the bible was some old money. Silver certificates and three old ball cards. My father kept the money and gave me the cards. These cards have been in that bible in the wall since at least 1942-43. We are not sure what year that part of the house was added on but was in the early 40's. The cards are Joe Jackson cracker jack card. Unsure of what year as I do not know anything about these cards. The second card says Jackson-r.f.Phila. Am. on the front and American caramel co. on the back. The last card has Johnson,Washington on the front and Peidmont cigarrette ad on the back. I need to sell these cards TODAY and best offer gets them. I have cards at work so ask any questions that you need answered and I'll try my best to do so. I don't know what year these are. Loacl card shop says he doesn't deal in old cards so I didn't take them to him. If you are not interested in buying these but know about baseball cards, could you at least advise me on what these are and how much to get from them?"

Obviously the cards he mentions are pretty high dollar. i have contacted him a few times and he seems honest so far, but like i said i haven't actually met him/seen the cards. He has agreed to not sell them 'TODAY' as he said in the ad, but will wait to meet with me.

I need some advice....i've read alot of stuff about identifying fakes/reprints, but i don't have any cards of the same brands/year to take along to compare to. what are some other good ways to tell if these are fakes without being able to compare?

the guy says he has 14 offers, the highest of which is $750.

what do you think? any advice you have for me is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I suggest you forget about this opportunity to lose your money and have great frustration in the process.

Forget it and move on.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I'm sure if there were any legitimate offers they would have been more than $750. I would have to guess that someone with a minimal amount of knowledge would have made a real offer if the cards were authentic. Concur with Frank... don't even bother with it.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

ditto.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Why is it when old cards are found in old walls in abandoned structures it's always a Joe Jackson card? Hmmmmmm........

Tony A.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

I say meet him at the local Police station. That way, if it is a scam or if it is a guy (or guys) who might possibly try and rob you, then you will have some protection. If the "seller" doesn't want to do that, then run (don't walk) away.

Personally, I HIGHLY doubt the story. I mean, first off, Craigslist is known to be a hotbed of scam artists. Secondly, WHY would a person put money and three ball cards in a Bible (nice touch to the story) and then leave the Bible in the wall? THAT doesn't sound reasonable.

David

Old 10-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Just once, I'd like to hear a story about how someone found a group of cards that included Larry Doyle, Art Schlei and Mickey Doolan as the highlights. Funny how these "finds" always seem to include top-tier HOFers or Joe Jackson.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Administrator

thanks for all the quick replies guys!

i also share your skepticism. it does sound too good to be true.

i like the idea of meeting him at the police station...

if i did decide to meet this guy, should i take a microscope? it seems to be (from my limited research) the best way to tell if they are fakes/reprints or not. (http://www.cycleback.com/baseballcards/index.html)

do any of you have experience evaluating cards with microscopes?

again, thanks for you help everyone!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

The advice which you have received is from very trustworthy and competent collectors. Do listen to them and don't fret about a microscope in this case.

all the best,

Barry

Old 10-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I agree that the story seems highly unlikely. I've heard of people burying money in their back yard, but not putting it inside of a wall. Not only would you have to tear a hole in the wall to get at it, but there's a good chance mice would get to the paper money before you. Also, baseball cards had almost no worth in 1942, so why they'd be included with the family fortune is a good question.

Also, if someone told you to bury your paper currency in the back yard or inside a building wall, what would you hold the money in? You'd put it in a metal container, of course, not a paper one. Everyone knows that worms, insects, mice, rats, fire and water can mow through a book. You could also chose to not take chances and exchange those bills into coins. I had a crazy relative who didn't trust banks and buried money in her back yard, and even she had enough sense to put the money in metal cans-- and to not forget money was buring in her back yard.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

It seems to us that the odds of Grand Pa deciding to only save three cards
from three different sets issued as long as six years apart and then placing
said cards in a bible 27 or 29 years after they were issued are rather long indeed.

Also, we doubt that someone would make an offer without seeing the cards
and verifying both the authenticity and the condition.

In fact, we doubt there is anyway in hell this story has anything to do with the truth.

That said, if you were in Las Vegas in February and decided to place a
$1000 bet on Tampa Rays being in the World Series, it is likely that the bookie
(and anyone who knew you) would have thought you to be either drunk or insane.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

If you even had to ask that question you are struggling.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Avoid it like the plague.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

I agree with David. I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with the String Bean (Hee Haw) story, but he didn't trust banks, and always kept his cash at home. The guys that murdered him and his wife only got away with $250. The story came out here in Nashville a couple years ago that the people who bought his home decided to remodel the mantle, and found nearly $15,000 when they pulled the wood off the brick. The money was pretty much eaten up by whatever got to it, and that was only 35 years later.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

To digress slightly on Bruce's post , somewhere on TV this week was a story about a Tampa Bay fan who put $100 on them to win the WS in Vegas and got 250-1 odds.
Best thing for him to do would be to bet $10K on the Phils, this way he can't lose.
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 10-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sean

Here is the only card I ever got that was found in a wall

Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

Now I know of several card shops, and one for sure is far more modern in its product line then vintage, but I have never seen a card shop unwilling to look at old cards and try to help a potential customer....HUGE red flag to me when the ad says the card shop won't help.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator

There have been 1950s Topps complete sheets found in a home's walls, but the sheets were being used as insulation or lining, not riches for future generations. If the owner thought they were worth something, about the last place he would have put them is nailed to the inside of his walls. The sheets had all sorts of holes, tears, missing sections, etc-- though clean panels were cut from the sheets. Most of the 1957 Topps baseball panels you see for sale were from this find.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

A good general rule is is you don't know how to authenticate, or at least fairly judge, the material, it's bet not to spend lots of money on items. An exception is when the seller is someone you know to be reliable and knowledgeable, which is not the case here. There's a difference between taking a wild chance on a $20 item and cards potentially worth several thousands. I don't know how to identify Ming vases, but I don't buy Ming vases so it doesn't matter.

If this situation is the impetus to learn learn about how to judge the authenticity of old cards for potential future purchases, that's great. Maybe next time a situation like this comes around, you'll be ready. Personally, I enjoy learning how to identify and date items and i.d. fakes-- that's half the fun for me.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

I actually am interested in learning about the differences in printing processes over the years. I have actually enjoyed this whole ordeal, as it has given me reason to research old cards/authentication methods. I actually borrowed a microscope and looked at various cards i have (all 35 years old or newer)- it's been cool to see for myself what i've been reading on what I assume is your website (http://www.cycleback.com/baseballcards/index.html).

Is there somewhere to go (websites namely) to really dig into learning about authenticating vintage cards? I really found the aforementioned website super informative.

I am still undecided on whether I am going to meet the guy tomorrow.

The cards the guy mentioned he has- if you examined them and were pretty convinced they were authentic, but not sure, what amount is worth 'taking a risk' on? i know that's probably a subjective question, but....

BTW, a little background on me: I collected cards as a kid (mostly baseball) in the mid 80's and into the early 90's (as did a ton of people), but ended up with mostly Topps and other worthless stuff (as did a ton of people). I've just kind of got the collecting bug again after buying a box of several thousand 70s/80s football cards at a garage sale for $45.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

carddude,

Since you are still undecided about meeting the seller, and assuming you are legitmate and not Peter Chao trolling the board, here is what you should do:

Demand to meet the seller in the darkest back alley you know of.

Bring $10,OOO in cash with you in case he decides he has received higher offers from the $750 since you spoke to him last.

Wear the cash inside a clear plastic pouch strung around your neck and outside all outergarments. That way he knows you are serious.

Carry no weapons or a cell phone.

Only in the way described way will you know if he is being straight with you. Obviously, no one else here is.