NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
Has anyone tried requesting a hand written letter from a player TTM? I have a couple of hand written letters in my autograph collection that I've purchased. But has anyone ever thought to write a handwritten letter to a player and request a short handwritten letter reply back?
So, I sent a card to be signed to Lindy McDaniel and he sent me back a really nice handwritten letter thanking me for my letter.

I've also seen folks get back some nice handwritten items if you ask direct questions in your LOI. I never bother to do that, but it seems logical that if you ask things, they may write you back with answers.

Good luck!

Christian
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
Has anyone tried requesting a hand written letter from a player TTM? I have a couple of hand written letters in my autograph collection that I've purchased. But has anyone ever thought to write a handwritten letter to a player and request a short handwritten letter reply back?
It the very small amount of TTM I've attempted, I handwrite a two page letter asking them questions. I never directly ask for their autograph (unless sending $ for that purpose), just hope they'll answer the questions. Some send back a letter, some a signed card, or some answer back directly on my letter like Carl Erskine did.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

A lot of people send questionnaires that get answered back. I had an old Detroit Tigers photo that I needed help identifying players on. I sent it to Virgil Trucks and asked him to help me since he actually played with those guys. He was kind enough to obligue and even wrote me back about what he thought of the current Tigers. Mr. Trucks is one of the nicest guys I ever wrote to.

Since Carl Erskine was brought up, I thought I'd show a ball I got back from him a few years ago. I didn't even ask for inscriptions. He did that himself. No fees. Thanks again Mr. Erskine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carl Erskine 2.jpg (38.8 KB, 212 views)
Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
A lot of people send questionnaires that get answered back. I had an old Detroit Tigers photo that I needed help identifying players on. I sent it to Virgil Trucks and asked him to help me since he actually played with those guys. He was kind enough to obligue and even wrote me back about what he thought of the current Tigers. Mr. Trucks is one of the nicest guys I ever wrote to.

Since Carl Erskine was brought up, I thought I'd show a ball I got back from him a few years ago. I didn't even ask for inscriptions. He did that himself. No fees. Thanks again Mr. Erskine!
Nice ball, he inscribed a nice one for me, too. FWIW, he's big into a foundation for Down's Syndrome, so I'm sure a donation would be appreciated.

Ken
Old 03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
$teve O.

I always write questions when I send TTM.Some times they don't answer,sometimes they give 1 or 2 word answers,then there are times
I get long detailed answers.I recently got a great letter from Stan Williams.
I have been doing TTMs for about 2 years and I have over 100 letters that were answered.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Sent one out to Mark Buehrle. I already have him, but I was hoping I could get one with his Perfect Game inscription for my collection. Unfortunately, he didn't add the inscription, but he personalized it for me. Only bummer is that its not sweet spot. Still happy to get it back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130302_163518.jpg (74.5 KB, 181 views)
Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Sent one out to Mark Buehrle. I already have him, but I was hoping I could get one with his Perfect Game inscription for my collection. Unfortunately, he didn't add the inscription, but he personalized it for me. Only bummer is that its not sweet spot. Still happy to get it back.
A lot of those guys will leave the sweet spot open because they feel like they don't belong there. I had a 1940's player sign a side panel, even though I told him I wanted him to sign it on the sweet spot for a single signed ball.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
A lot of those guys will leave the sweet spot open because they feel like they don't belong there.
I don't think that applies to today's players and their million dollar egos. Buehrle in particular was exceptionally grumpy towards collectors last year in Spring Training. He also categorically refused to add any Perfect Game inscriptions.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
I don't think that applies to today's players and their million dollar egos. Buehrle in particular was exceptionally grumpy towards collectors last year in Spring Training. He also categorically refused to add any Perfect Game inscriptions.
I think A LOT of the bigger modern players put too much thought into people just turning around and selling the items. So they may do subtle things to drive down the value of what they're signing, like not signing on the sweet spot, or insisting on personalizations, or refusing certain inscriptions.. They'll save the sweet spot, inscriptions and non-personalized items for when they're being paid for it..
Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I think A LOT of the bigger modern players put too much thought into people just turning around and selling the items. So they may do subtle things to drive down the value of what they're signing, like not signing on the sweet spot, or insisting on personalizations, or refusing certain inscriptions.. They'll save the sweet spot, inscriptions and non-personalized items for when they're being paid for it..
The issue have is I would gladly take a personalization, but if I specifically ask for an inscription, and instead personalize it to me, you tell me that you read my letter enough to know my name, but you don't care about the actual request. I know it is noones job to fulfill my request to the t. But to not do it and do something competly different is odd to me.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:03 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
The issue have is I would gladly take a personalization, but if I specifically ask for an inscription, and instead personalize it to me, you tell me that you read my letter enough to know my name, but you don't care about the actual request. I know it is noones job to fulfill my request to the t. But to not do it and do something competly different is odd to me.
Something that I've found some success doing... When I am trying to be specific with what I am asking for, I will not only ask for it in the letter, I will also include a yellow sticky note with the same instructions on the index card or ball. If they don't want to read a 1-2 page letter, fine.. Here's one sentence.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Something that I've found some success doing... When I am trying to be specific with what I am asking for, I will not only ask for it in the letter, I will also include a yellow sticky note with the same instructions on the index card or ball. If they don't want to read a 1-2 page letter, fine.. Here's one sentence.
Thats what I did, added a sticky on the ball asking specifically for his Perfect Game date... oh well :/
Old 03-04-2013, 01:58 PM
$teve O.

Got a couple more Exhibits in the last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (79.2 KB, 203 views)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

In adding some imput on asking players questions. The question I always ask and love to get answered is "What is something you remember about your carrer that most people don't". I've gotten anything from Denny Walling being in the century club (at least 100 Pinch hits), to Mark Gubizca telling me his 1st, 20th and 100th career wins were all shutouts, to Greg Gagne telling me a story when a rat came all the way across the outfield in Cleveland right up to him and then just sat there.

One of the greatest answers to a question I asked though came from Joe Morgan (the early 90's Red Sox manager not the HOF 2nd baseman). I asked who was the great all around player he ever got to witness play. His response was when he was 9 years old he went and saw a game and got to see Jimmy Foxx play. Pretty cool.

Drew
Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 AM
qualitycards

Steve, thanks for Mr. Ford's address. I finally got around to sending them last Saturday and rec'd them back today.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 AM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Steve, thanks for Mr. Ford's address. I finally got around to sending them last Saturday and rec'd them back today.

They look great Jay!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Just FYI, I sent ROMLB to Al Kaline last week...got it back fast...unsigned.

He didnt RTS, he just stuffed all my things, LOI, ball, money and pen in the SASE and sent it back to me.

Somewhat odd.

Anyhow, just passing it along.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:29 PM
qu@n nguy3n

kaline don't sign balls ttm
Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
He will if you put in enough money. $10 doesn't cut it for a ball.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

what an ass AK is...
Old 03-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
He will if you put in enough money. $10 doesn't cut it for a ball.
For what it's worth, I put in $20.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
He used to not that long ago. It sounds like Al is getting close to calling it quits. I better get off my rear and send him some things I've been sitting on for a while before he shuts it down for good.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

I haven't sent a TTM request in years. I was very intrigued when I all of a sudden received one of my SASE's in the mail. Received good old Black Jack McDowell as part of my Cy Young collection. Took almost exactly 3 years. If you haven't got a package back yet, don't give up hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jack mcdowell 1.jpg (70.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg jack mcdowell 2.jpg (74.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Jeff

Default Virgil "Fire" Trucks

Just read on another autograph board that Mr. Trucks has passed away.
Now there was a friend to the autograph hobby. He would nearly always add extras and pen a nice note when sending back your request.

RIP Virgil.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Just read on another autograph board that Mr. Trucks has passed away.
Now there was a friend to the autograph hobby. He would nearly always add extras and pen a nice note when sending back your request.

RIP Virgil.
Mr. Trucks was the best there was.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 PM
$teve O.

I agree Mr.Trucks was great! I sent him a card awhile back and got 3 signed IC's with the fire truck stamp,a card of his own and a full page letter.
He will be missed!!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I just read an obit...he stated that when he couldn't sleep at night he would reply to fan mail...he didn't like to keep people waiting!

I'll bet Bryce Harper doesn't lose any sleep at night over fanmail!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
I just read an obit...he stated that when he couldn't sleep at night he would reply to fan mail...he didn't like to keep people waiting!

I'll bet Bryce Harper doesn't lose any sleep at night over fanmail!!!
Former LSU and Viking RB Tommy Mason is kind of the same on the FB side. Twice I have sent him something to sign, he looks up my phone number and calls me to see if I want a special inscription of any sort. No sh*t, he calls from his business which I think is a transmission shop of some sort. The last time it happened was three or four years ago, I don't know if he still does it or not. Talk about a surprise.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 03-24-2013 at 03:11 PM.