NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-02-2023, 02:52 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
In the short term you are right he will put fans on the seats for the next few months, sell merchandise and get TV ratings.
When he leaves
Long term the seats will be emptier, the fans will buy less merchandise and ratings will be down.
Then someone else will pay the money to have him. And it will cost that team no player or prospects.
LA could have gotten a nice haul in return to hopefully make a winning team to help gain fans in seats, merchandise etc.

We will see what happens but I agree the next 2 months will be great for LA.

The next few years are the bigger question

They may have gotten a couple of future starting caliber players for him, but I doubt they would have pulled a "putting fans in the seats" type of player.

Teams don't normally give those guys up, and the Rookie contracts they are on, for a 2-3 month rental. They might for a full season of a top player...but not that short of a rental. I'm sure there might be a couple exceptions to the rule here, but unlikely the Angels would have struck gold on that front.

...and it's not just the next two months of capitalization for the Angels. This is the type of season they'll be able to merchandise for years to come...whether he's with them or not.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:58 PM
James M.

I see him staying on the West Coast. I don't see the Angels retaining him. They are far from a World Series winning, ball club. I would think the Giants, Mariners or Dodgers all have a better chance of signing him.

If he were to come to the east coast, I wouldn't discount the Mets, as Steve Cohen's pockets are very deep.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:02 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I see him staying on the West Coast. I don't see the Angels retaining him. They are far from a World Series winning, ball club. I would think the Giants, Mariners or Dodgers all have a better chance of signing him.

If he were to come to the east coast, I wouldn't discount the Mets, as Steve Cohen's pockets are very deep.
My money's on the Dodgers or the Padres. I know it's been a dumpster fire season in San Diego but they have crazy amounts of talent. And the proximity to Japan from the west coast is huge - I just don't see him going East
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 08-02-2023, 03:04 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
My money's on the Dodgers or the Padres. I know it's been a dumpster fire season in San Diego but they have crazy amounts of talent. And the proximity to Japan from the west coast is huge - I just don't see him going East
I would agree on your latter point. I certainly think East Coast is a long shot. If Cohen were to pony up 50 Million more than the next highest bidder though, I wouldn't be surprised if he accepted it. Padres are another interesting team, that I forgot about. California, to me, seems so dominated by the Dodgers and Giants, that I often forget about the Padres when it comes to these discussions!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:25 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
I would agree on your latter point. I certainly think East Coast is a long shot. If Cohen were to pony up 50 Million more than the next highest bidder though, I wouldn't be surprised if he accepted it. Padres are another interesting team, that I forgot about. California, to me, seems so dominated by the Dodgers and Giants, that I often forget about the Padres when it comes to these discussions!
supposedly the 2 biggest things he wants to Stay on west coast and be on a winning team
San Fran and LA Dodgers can both afford to put up a lot of money and LA is deep and a winning team
Cohen can out spend perhaps but not on West Coast and after trading everyone especially Verlander many do not trust their formula for a winning team and do not see them on a good path (at least in the short term for a winning team)

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-02-2023, 08:22 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:

Giants have a good chance of backing up the truck for Ohtani after missing out on Judge & Correa (thank god). They have a huge 23 acre development outside of the Park that will generate substantial income for the team. Spend away Giants, spend away...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-02-2023, 08:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Shohei Ohtani 2024 Team Odds
Team Odds Implied Probability
Los Angeles Dodgers +300 25.0%
New York Yankees +450 18.2%
San Diego Padres +450 18.2%
New York Mets +550 15.4%
San Francsico Giants +800 11.1%
Los Angeles Angels +1000 9.1%
Texas Rangers +1500 6.3%
Chicago Cubs +2000 4.8%
Boston Red Sox +2000 4.8%
The Field +1150 8.0%

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:35 AM

When you look at the Angels and see that he leads the team in every meaningful batting and pitching stat, you just wonder how bad they would be if you replaced him with a bunch of prospects and maybe a three or four Tier 2 veterans. And a previous poster is right in that Ohtani's less than fluent English probably doesn't hamper his ability to lead the team. So I take that back.

I'm going contrarian and predicting that he stays with the Angels long term. He's going to accept a lot less money than what he's worth in order to help them win a championship -- and he's going to go down as a legend in his adopted community. Something tells me he's listening to people like Ichiro, as opposed to the A-Rods of the world. And it would be better for the soul of baseball.

I grew up as a Mets fan, but please please please don't let him go work for that hedge fund guy.

Please.

Last edited by bk400; 08-03-2023 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:38 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post
When you look at the Angels and see that he leads the team in every meaningful batting and pitching stat, you just wonder how bad they would be if you replaced him with a bunch of prospects and maybe a three or four Tier 2 veterans. And a previous poster is right in that Ohtani's less than fluent English probably doesn't hamper his ability to lead the team. So I take that back.

I'm going contrarian and predicting that he stays with the Angels long term. He's going to accept a lot less money than what he's worth in order to help them win a championship -- and he's going to go down as a legend in his adopted community. Something tells me he's listening to people like Ichiro, as opposed to the A-Rods of the world. And it would be better for the soul of baseball.

I grew up as a Mets fan, but please please please don't let him go work for that hedge fund guy.

Please.
Cannot disagree about most of your points. You are right. I am not concerned about the language.
But we will see how they replace all that production next years and the years going forward without those prospects and players they would have had.

Neither side is wrong in keeping or not keeping him. I just feel getting 2 months of Ohtani vs the long term potential of what they could have gotten is really going to hurt them.

and WOW #40 Last night and raising his average to .310 and on base to .413 is simply amazing.
Hopefully he is ok pitching short and long term as he had to stop pitching after great innings do to another minor issue.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-04-2023, 07:22 AM

Perhaps I am too much of a believer in motherhood and apple pie, but I'd like to think that the Angels had a man to man discussion with Ohtani in June and came to a gentleman's agreement about what his long term contract would be for 2024 and beyond. If Ohtani plays for two months and then leaves for another team, it would be such a tremendous loss of face for the Angels, and I just don't think Ohtani's camp would want that for the team that gave him his start in the MLB.

I also suspect that Ohtani has figured out that Tom Brady is a god in New England, Ichiro's money is no good at any bar in Seattle, and the whole world outside of Saudi Arabia thinks that Messi is awesome and Ronaldo is...less awesome.

Not that I would know, but I'd like to think that for athletes like Ohtani, legacy is the asset that they want to maximize.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:27 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
They may have gotten a couple of future starting caliber players for him, but I doubt they would have pulled a "putting fans in the seats" type of player.

Teams don't normally give those guys up, and the Rookie contracts they are on, for a 2-3 month rental. They might for a full season of a top player...but not that short of a rental. I'm sure there might be a couple exceptions to the rule here, but unlikely the Angels would have struck gold on that front.

...and it's not just the next two months of capitalization for the Angels. This is the type of season they'll be able to merchandise for years to come...whether he's with them or not.
you might be right but prior to them saying he was not going to be traded most sports news outlets and papers were saying that they would get a tremendous hall for him.

But it a mute point now so they can enjoy their 2 months to say goodby

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-02-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
you might be right but prior to them saying he was not going to be traded most sports news outlets and papers were saying that they would get a tremendous hall for him.

But it a mute point now so they can enjoy their 2 months to say goodby
Who was offering a haul of prospects? All reports were that the Angels were not getting good offers. If the teams believed that he was only signing with a west coast team, they weren't offering much for a two month rental. The Angels would be better off trying to resign Ohtani and if they don't, take the draft pick at the end of round one instead of taking a bad offer.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:05 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Who was offering a haul of prospects? All reports were that the Angels were not getting good offers. If the teams believed that he was only signing with a west coast team, they weren't offering much for a two month rental. The Angels would be better off trying to resign Ohtani and if they don't, take the draft pick at the end of round one instead of taking a bad offer.
Here is an article that talks about it from cbs sports as an example

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...-farm-systems/

and another from Sports illustrated as another example

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/07/19/sh...dgers-phillies

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-02-2023, 04:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Dodgers.

But especially with the team still in the playoff hunt, no way they could have traded him.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Here is an article that talks about it from cbs sports as an example

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...-farm-systems/

and another from Sports illustrated as another example

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/07/19/sh...dgers-phillies
There are no actual trade offers in those articles. Writers like to throw out trades that have no chance of happening just to get clicks.
Old 08-02-2023, 06:05 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
There are no actual trade offers in those articles. Writers like to throw out trades that have no chance of happening just to get clicks.
Has there were no offers because he was not made available or perhaps some were made behind closed doors and we will never know.

I am just showing what writers who no the industry (and some that may not) think offers that different teams would need to make it worth both teams.

They do that in every sport and then they grade the trades they occurs because that is what the mass of sports fans like seeing the analysis and the opinions to get a feel for how their teams and trades did

But again it is all moot since he was not made available for trade and the Angels will have him for 2 months and then we will see where he goes and how the Angels do going forward

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth

Last edited by mrreality68; 08-02-2023 at 06:07 PM.