NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
This is getting kinda old...but...in this case the buyer did not do his due diligence on selling the card...he did not assign an acc designation to it...did not mention the manufacturer/maker of the card...his description was vague and therefore he did not deserve full value...in my opinion. It is not the buyers job to market and promote someone elses auction.
Love the attitude. "If you don't know what you have, you *deserve* to get taken advantage of!".
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
Love the attitude. "If you don't know what you have, you *deserve* to get taken advantage of!".
Geez, you're such a good person, how come you don't go through some ebay auctions, and if they are badly described, scanned, or miscategorized, out them on the main board so the poor seller doesn't get taken advantage of?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Geez, you're such a good person, how come you don't go through some ebay auctions, and if they are badly described, scanned, or miscategorized, out them on the main board so the poor seller doesn't get taken advantage of?
Just curious here, Gary...any reason you're taking this thread so personal? Peter seems offended as well...even thinks the thread is getting old and still comes back and responds.

I see both sides of the spectrum here, but since there is obviously two sides that have legitimate arguments, why try really hard to make your point...it's already been made!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 AM
pete ullman

I guess to me it's the ethical dilemna?! I have a very high moral/ethical standard...and I expect the same of others...which I know is ridiculous especially in this hobby and on the internet...but I still do! And I believe in fairness...and that hard work is rewarded.

If anything I should be glad the auction was outed as it reaffirmed the value of my f and m ruth! But being the sick f$ck that I am...fairness trumps money in my book!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Just curious here, Gary...any reason you're taking this thread so personal? Peter seems offended as well...even thinks the thread is getting old and still comes back and responds.

I see both sides of the spectrum here, but since there is obviously two sides that have legitimate arguments, why try really hard to make your point...it's already been made!
Sorry, Mike, it's not personal. And I had already told David that I would refrain from posting any more in this thread. However, to me, at least, some posts seem so idiotic, I feel like I have to respond. I get it. One person's idiotic response is another person's common sense reply.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Jeff

Some would say that it is proper etiquette to alert a seller who does not know what he has of what he has. You know, Do Unto Others. Our definition of etiquette is oft times defined by self interest, purely human.

Good points made on both sides of this issue. I agree with Leon we don't need a rule. I have no idea if 10,600 is a good or bad price. I am however happy that he didn't end the auction early in response to an offer trying to take advantage of his lack of information. That's just me.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-26-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Some would say that it is proper etiquette to alert a seller who does not know what he has of what he has. You know, Do Unto Others. Our definition of etiquette is oft times defined by self interest, purely human.

Good points made on both sides of this issue. I agree with Leon we don't need a rule. I have no idea if 10,600 is a good or bad price. I am however happy that he didn't end the auction early in response to an offer trying to take advantage of his lack of information. That's just me.
+1...you read my mind about etiquette. Although I don't believe it's our job to inform any certain seller about their auction, I believe in doing the right thing if I can help it.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
pete ullman

Not exactly...this guy knew what he had had significant value...he chose not to take 5-10 minutes to research it...the card says f and m on the bottom...had he googled babe ruth f and m he most likely would have found some info on this card...including recent sales prices.

How much effort would this take? Not much?

If one is a go getter...a hard worker...he/she deserves to reap the benefits of his/her hard work...as compared to the lazy one...who in my opinion does not deserve the same!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
...the card says f and m on the bottom...had he googled babe ruth f and m he most likely would have found some info on this card...including recent sales prices.

Question: I could never find the "f and m" anywhere on this card. I actually was somewhat confused as to how everyone knew immediately what this was. I thought is was an Exhibit at first. Just curious?

Last edited by triwak; 02-26-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
Question: I could never find the "f and m" anywhere on this card. I actually was somewhat confused as to how everyone knew immediately what this was. I thought is was an Exhibit at first. Just curious?
Not all M101-6s have the F.M. designation. You can tell by the picture and the way the name of the player is written. When I saw the listing on here I immediately knew what it was.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Jeff

Default They Don't All Have the FM

Not mine:

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
pete ullman

my bad...no f and m on the card...nonetheless a google search for babe ruth cf ny yankees would yield an image of a graded m101-6 ruth.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Clayton

A hobby is supposed to be fun, and not so "cut throat". I guess that's why outing this auction doesn't seem like the ultimate sin to me. But, I understand the reasons why people are against it.

I try to keep in mind that we (or at least I) am specifically talking about this 24 hour auction- not a typical 7 day auction, where everyone does have a chance to take the time to search. Maybe this is where things are getting crossed.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM
pete ullman

i guess one other way to look at this is that some of you feel that the seller was entitled to full retail value for this card...even though he did not do due diligence in selling it.

If all transactions that occurred in this hobby occurred at full retail...there would be no hobby! Someone has to get a card/item for less money in order to resell it for a profit?

My ribbing t206 collectors is just that! I realize it's hard to detect inflection/tone on the internet...but I mean no harm.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
i guess one other way to look at this is that some of you feel that the seller was entitled to full retail value for this card...even though he did not do due diligence in selling it.

If all transactions that occurred in this hobby occurred at full retail...there would be no hobby! Someone has to get a card/item for less money in order to resell it for a profit?

My ribbing t206 collectors is just that! I realize it's hard to detect inflection/tone on the internet...but I mean no harm.
That seems to me much less like a hobby and much more like a business.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

To me, there really isn't any way of knowing how much the final price was impacted by posting the information on here. Sure, the price jumped initially when the auction was posted on here. But how many people were set to snipe the auction?

Way back on page on one or two, there was a poster that said he saw the auction before it was mentioned on here and wasn't going to let the card go cheap. I just don't believe a $10,000 card with "Babe Ruth" in the auction title is going to slip by the entire collecting community and go for a massive discount. Maybe if it was a high-dollar rarity of a more obscure player, but not Babe Ruth. I can imagine not many people search for "Slow Joe Doyle" or "Louis Lowdermilk" daily on eBay, but "Babe Ruth" is another story.

Last edited by Bored5000; 02-26-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:26 PM
bi11h00d

I'm fairly confident in saying that if all the auctions in which I bid were outed, I'd have both less money and fewer cards. Neither of which would please me.

The best way for me to compete against those with deeper pockets is to scan Ebay better than the next guy and to find the mislabeled/misspelled etc cards. The two cards I put in the February pick up thread were both obtained this way.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Jake

Heres another

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!