NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Bradley Holt

Default 3000+ members and only a few posters

I would like to hear some insight from new members as to why they might hesitate or reframe from starting new threads or replying to posts.

Is it because some new members might feel the fear of being ridiculed for expressing there views and/or asking questions about certain controversial issues? Is there a sense this board has more then a few regulators keeping legitimate new members from feeling welcome?

Would love to hear your thoughts!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I'm lazy.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM

A sudden lack of interest in baseball cards could be a possible reason.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Frank Wakefield

Way to ask a question that needed asking, then 'regulate' it with your provided answer...

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 08-21-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by V117collector View Post
I would like to hear some insight from new members as to why they might hesitate or reframe from starting new threads or replying to posts.

Is it because some new members might feel the fear of being ridiculed for expressing there views and/or asking questions about certain controversial issues? Is there a sense this board has more then a few regulators keeping legitimate new members from feeling welcome?

Would love to hear your thoughts!
Only about 1300 are real registered members. The others are program generated registrations that go into a banned folder. If I deleted them then they could re-register. I am not sure why anyone would write those programs to register but they do. It makes for a bit of work to weed them out. As for the 1300 or so real folks and only part of them participating I think Jeff hit the nail on the head. Also, many people just don't want to join in the fray. They would rather just lurk and that is their right also....I doubt it's because we have too many regulators. Actually, it could be the opposite from what I am hearing....regards
Old 08-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Scott Levy

Default Way too much drama -- way too little chatter about cards

That is my answer!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Todd C

I also think that some people do not respond based on their collection and budgets in spending on cards.

It's obvious there are some very nice collections and cards that are out there. There is only a small percentage of the members on this board that can actually afford to buy those.

No response can possibly be attributed to:

1. No interest/knowledge in a certain card issue.
2. Lower budget ( not able to afford the Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, Gehrig, Johnson, Jackson, etc. )..
3. As Leon put it...some choose to lurk
Old 08-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Jason Albregts

I'm new here and seeking knowledge. And yes, I fit into the category of "small budget collector". I will pipe in from time to time if I think I can add to the conversation though.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Sounds like a conspiracy to me.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
I'm new here and seeking knowledge. And yes, I fit into the category of "small budget collector". I will pipe in from time to time if I think I can add to the conversation though.
Just ask questions if you don't know-as anyone here can tell you I've posted a zillion silly questions here over the years but at the end of the day have gottne a good answer to about everything I have asked.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:33 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I'm definately in the "lurker" camp. I guess main reason is that unfortunately I don't have the knowledge most have here so my input becomes mostly opinion and well you know what they say about those. . Another reason I guess is I like to watch train wrecks as opposed to join in on them. I will say that most issues brought up are valid and should be discussed. But they eventually end up "train wrecks". I guess there is just no way around it.

I will take this time to say thanks to all the regular posters. I do appreciate the knowledge that is shared and hopefully some of it will eventually rub off. I should contribute more when I can and I will try to do so in the future.

Cheers
Old 09-08-2009, 12:58 PM

Default lurking

You'd be surprised how much you can learn and how little you give away by "lurking"
Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Dan Carson

Default Drama!

I agree with Scott, to much drama. then it turns to name calling so forth so on. (childish)
Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Michael C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carson View Post
I agree with Scott, to much drama. then it turns to name calling so forth so on. (childish)
Yup. Very few posts other than BST....mainly because most threads turn into flame fests.

Sorry- if someone could get control over those threads, I'm sure more people would want to talk cards.

IMHO

(and I'm sure someone will flame me for my opinion now
Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Barry Sloate

Too many Communists!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not so easy to get "control"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
Yup. Very few posts other than BST....mainly because most threads turn into flame fests.

Sorry- if someone could get control over those threads, I'm sure more people would want to talk cards.

IMHO

(and I'm sure someone will flame me for my opinion now
It's not so easy to get "control". As anyone who has ever moderated knows whenever a decision is made, choosing to do or not do something, then someone gets upset. My general rule is as much "hands off" as can be...Good, bad or indifferent, that is the way it is. I also don't think there would be more posts or threads if there were more "control". No flaming here...I am just giving my view of the subject. regards
Old 08-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Default reasons from a long time "lurker"

I've been a long time vintage collector (25+ years) in addition to "lurking" here for a few years. Here are some reasons I don't post much:

-I have never participated in an auction house auction
-I rarely bid or buy anything on ebay any more
-I hate slabbing
-I don't care to be caught up in "drama" as others previously mentioned
-I don't have the budget - or the desire - to buy high end cards
-I could care less about card alterations...
-...or whether a card should be a 50 instead of a 40 - many of mine are trimmed, torn, burned, written on, creased, punch-holed or otherwise tortured...and that's the way I like 'em
-I prefer to remain somewhat anonymous

As you can see, I can't really comment - or choose not to comment - on many posts here. I do appreciate those who post neat cards (like Leon's D311 Danzig) or do research projects (like Brian's E121 quest). I also appreciate the many quality cards and impressive collections I have witnessed through this board.

Email: check_raze(at)yahoo(dot)com
Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I dont post here much because I am not activly collecting pre war cards. This is not for lack of interest but lack of funds. I try to pop in here 2-3 times a day and rarely post because my knowledge of the subject matter is significantly less than most, although I have been collecting for 35 years.

My knowledge is mostly 50's on up and would love to collect pre-war but I am a guy who loves to complete sets. It would drive me nuts to do the T-206 set and not be able to complete it because of the big 3!! I dont know how everyone else does it! LOL
Old 08-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Scott

I am a low-end T206 collector. I have 98% of the set and the highest graded card I have is an SGC 60. (For the record, I am only mildly jealous of those with top flight, super-duper collections.)

I enjoy what I have and am grateful for the pleasure they give me. My other collections (with the exception of my PSA Registry winning Nate Colbert collection) are also nothing spectacular.

I mainly lurk on this site for two main reasons:

1) to learn things from those who know more than me.

2) to upgrade my craptacular collections via the B/S/T board when other collectors upgrade their collection. (This is called “trickle down” collecting.)
Old 08-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Dustan Hedlin

I've been mostly a lurker for oh, about 2 years now. I first found this forum about the same time I started gaining an interest in pre-war. I was a bit intimidated by the amount of knowledge here, and I knew I had no knowledge to add to any of the discussions. Because of this, I lurked.

Now, 2 years and 94 T206's later, I still don't feel like I have a ton of knowledge to add anything to most threads. I've gotten much more familiar with the T206's, I have a few Cubs cards from other sets, but for the most part I just enjoy reading and learning from the threads. The drama posts are entertaining to some degree, but I often find myself getting bored with them after a while and finding something that actually has to do with cards.

I think as I continue collecting the T206 set and keep getting familiar with the cards, I will post more and contribute more to threads. I knew nothing but modern cards up until 2 years ago....some of the vets on this board have been collecting vintage 20-30 years before I was born. (I'll be 28 in October) I'll get there eventually but I'm still having fun reading and learning.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Barry Arnold

Default great forum

may i offer a resounding welcome to those who are new and those not so new.
i've been on this board forever and love it, as they say, 'warts and all'.

all the best,

barry
Old 08-22-2009, 12:27 AM

i used to post slightly more regularly a few years ago, but stopped. mainly because i elicited very few responses, while inane mud slinging threads and posts contributed by longer standing members received a lot more responses. at that point, i decided to stop posting. since then, i chime in once in a blue moon and have only the motivation to read but not post on the board.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:04 AM
Barry Sloate

Tyler- I can picture Kramer delivering that line...but can't remember what his friend ate. You got me on that one.

Is it dog?

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-22-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:20 PM

Default Only a few posters

I am one of those who does not post messages to this site. I have been a member for 2 years and this is my second post, the first one about 5 minutes ago.

I don't post because I am a small, fairly uneducated collector who really doesn't have anything to say to 99% of the threads. I love reading about them and finding out more information about the hobby, but most of the item specific threads deal with memorabila that is way outside my experience and budget level.

However, the personal threads (favorite hobby experience, ...) are also interesting to me and I have not posted a reply to those yet either. Other than not taking the time, I don't have a valid reason for not posting to those threads and will try to make a conscious effort to respond. I would like to think that other collectors would also find my hobby stories interesting.

Thanks to Net 54, even though I am not an active memeber, I really enjoy the site!!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:00 PM
David M.

I've posted some to this site, but all of my prewar collecting involves the off-beat. I've posted a Japanese postcard for instance. Most of my collection starts from 1950 forward. And I wouldn't have those except that I started back when they were cheap. I never have, and probably never will spend anywhere near what most of the regulars will spend this year. And I don't need the Bruce's or any other Whale to tell me I'm a minnow. I know it, I accept it, and enjoy what I can afford. I've modified my collecting habits over the years and now enjoy some non-sports mixed in with my baseball. I have opinions on some of the topics, and chime in if I have something new to add, but I can't discuss the nuances of the T-206 set. So I read a lot of the posts for my own education.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Bruce C.

Default My First Post

Like many others, I've been lurking for about 2 years, and just recently registered. I've been collecting for just over 30 years, with a couple of breaks when I lost interest (my late teen years, and again in about 1991). While mostly buying new "garbage", I had also been working on a few older sets (1958 Topps, 1960 Leaf, 1953 Bowman B&W).

Anyways, I started to lose interest again, but I have always really enjoyed the hobby. The new stuff does nothing for me, nor do any of the current players. On the older stuff, I also have a bit of a problem paying $3 to have a $1 card shipped to me. The local card shops want NM prices for stuff that is only VG.

The really vintage has always interested me, but I thought I couldn't afford them. I've been working on PSA graded Buffalo Bills team sets, and realized that with the money I was spending on them, I could definetly do a pre-war set. Now I'm just deciding which one to start with. I've been looking at the Diamond Stars, Batter Up, E254, T206 (minus big 3), and even N172. Right now, I'm reading alot of what others are saying to help me narrow down my choices.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Ed Woelfle

Default Only a few posters

For what it's worth, I'm fairly new to the Hobby and Net54. I didn't really know, or focus on the Forum link at the top of the page until recently, mostly I've scanned through the BST links below it. Like many have said, I don't feel intimidated to add a post or respond, just didn't think I could add much more than what's already been said. I'm also a small-time collector/enthusiast, still learning/taking it all in - it's been a good experience so far!

I will say I enjoy this site quite a bit, I find I open up first or amongst the first when I'm on the computer - whether or not I'm looking for something specific, building, selling, or just watching from the sidelines. Everyone I have dealt with has been responsive, fair, provided good feedback and delivered meeting or exceeding my expectations. I'm sure to tell anyone in the hobby or just dabbling to check the site out.

Anyway, without sounding Pollyanna about it all, thank you for the opportunity to learn, participate and do business with many of you. Look forward to more in the future!

Ed
Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 PM
John Startleman

Most message boards I frequent allow 15-20 replies per thread page, here it is only ten. For some reason I am bothered by having to flip pages more often and tend to not bother posting or reading replies as much as I do on other sites. It feels like I'm doing work. Just my two cents.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
Most message boards I frequent allow 15-20 replies per thread page, here it is only ten. For some reason I am bothered by having to flip pages more often and tend to not bother posting or reading replies as much as I do on other sites. It feels like I'm doing work. Just my two cents.

Click on "User CP" in the bar near the top of the page, left hand side. Scroll down to "Edit Options".

One of the options allows you to select how many posts you want per page. Your choices vary from 5 to 80. The more you select, the slower the page will load, but for most threads it's not a noticible difference. Threads with a lot of attachments, like the monthly "pick-up" threads, are a little slower.

Last edited by Jim VB; 08-23-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

Thanks for the info, Jim, I didn't know that.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
John Startleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Click on "User CP" in the bar near the top of the page, left hand side. Scroll down to "Edit Options".

One of the options allows you to select how many posts you want per page. Your choices vary from 5 to 80. The more you select, the slower the page will load, but for most threads it's not a noticible difference. Threads with a lot of attachments, like the monthly "pick-up" threads, are a little slower.
That's awesome, thank you!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:05 PM

Default posting

I've only posted here a couple of times, but I am considering trying to sell or auction some items on the BST in the not too distant future. I have raw vintage cards and vintage memorabilia.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Default Thanks Steve

Steve, Thanks for helping me remember Richard's name. (This is from an earlier post in this thread.)
And Richard, Thanks again for another great deal at The National.
Tim Kindler
Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V117collector View Post
I kinda feel out of my league, to be honest. I'm just here to learn some of the history and see what's out there. Don't really have the ultra-deep pockets or the experience to jump into most discussions.

Furthermore, while I've come across many pleasant and helpful posters here, there are some folks who constantly remind me of all the bad in this hobby.

Last edited by Tex; 09-15-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlGLuRlhW3c
Old 09-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Where have you gone cat stevens?