NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2022, 10:34 PM
Joe M.

Default Off topic Miguel Cabrera 3000 hits

Could happen tomorrow. 1:00pm, MLB channel, good luck Miguel. Sits at 2999.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-20-2022, 11:19 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I’m seeing ticket sellers pre sales going for $80 a pop and Miguel might go 0-4 tomorrow lol.

I’m calling a nice liner into right field. On an outside off speed pitch.
5th inning.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 04-21-2022, 07:03 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Rare Jasson Dominguez cards are selling for half a million.

Hard to find a Cabrera card that has sold for more than $25,000.

Seriously, what the hell is going in this hobby?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-21-2022 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

I know. It almost makes you wish that Dominguez would Brien Taylor it, just so the card bros would eat $hit on their 'investment'.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-21-2022 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:14 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I know. It almost makes you wish that Dominguez would Brien Taylor it, just so the card bros would eat $hit on their 'investment'.
I have no problem with folks speculating, but to me speculating is buying 10 nice new shiny cards of an unknown player for a few hundred dollars each and putting them in a safe as lottery tickets. . . . .not spending a half a million dollars on a card of an unproven guy. I don't understand the bullish argument this stuff that makes sense on any level.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:27 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
I have no problem with folks speculating, but to me speculating is buying 10 nice new shiny cards of an unknown player for a few hundred dollars each and putting them in a safe as lottery tickets. . . . .not spending a half a million dollars on a card of an unproven guy. I don't understand the bullish argument this stuff that makes sense on any level.
i just bought a a second year jim brown im happy
Old 04-21-2022, 07:28 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
I completely agree, sir!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 04-21-2022, 07:29 AM
Chris Porter

I've watched Miguel Cabrera for the 15 or so years that he's been with the Tigers. Rarely in today's game do hitters hit the ball where it's pitched the way that he does. Fastball out over the plate at 98? No problem - line single to Right. Slider waffling over the middle of the plate? No problem - line single to Center.

It is absolutely no wonder that this guy is sitting on 3,000 hits, and will most likely be a first ballot HOF. I would think that some of today's softball players that last a year or two in the Big Leagues would learn a thing or two from him, but they never seem to.

Congrats Miguel!!!!

Crispy
Old 04-21-2022, 07:35 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I am a huge Tigers fan and look at Miggy like many fans of late with a grain of salt. His performance has not matched his salary hit in years, the vast number of diehard fans have not placed these milestones higher than the expiration of his contract and the hope it somewhat gives to a struggling franchise which has largely underspent and underperformed for seasons now.

His contribution was greatly appreciated, but is seen as an albatross around the neck of the organization as of the past years and is completely immovable. Some solace is given in these stepping stones and he will be first ballot. I just often wonder if the fiscal reward was not so great could he have retired earlier and made a stronger impression versus the slow degradation of his skills.

I think while still honorable and tasteful, the retirement celebration for Migs or him moving to other pastures, will far exceed these 500/3000 markers as it will signal reinvestment in the organization (well at least hopefully as Chris Illich certainly is not his father and I am open still to deciding if that is a good thing or not).

The values for Cabrera have never blown up due to many notorious PR disasters due to alcohol, ego and a refusal to bridge his language gap during his prime. I don't know if those will change in time, however I have piles of Miggy rookies and don't see it as a good investment as the "what have you done for me lately" modern collectors drop him as a past star dragging out a career.

Just my observations locally within the Detroit Area (outside of the Central American fanbase where he will always be a legend).

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 04-21-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:42 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:

Admittedly, I have not checked but it seemed Dominguez was falling like a penny from the Empire State Observation Deck for a bit. Have they returned?

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:46 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Gotta admit - I picked up the 2000 Topps Traded Set a year or two back when Miggy hit my radar screen.

Will be interesting to see if there is an explosion in price once he gets the 3000.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:52 AM
Mike

Good luck Miguel. A total team player. With his 3,000th hit and already 500+ home runs and when he gets his 600th double ( at 599 now) he will only be the 3rd player in history to achieve this ( Aaron and Pujols are the other 2). I think of him as a great pure hitter with power. Too bad in recent years he has had to play with all those injuries. He was looking at being the all-time RBI leader until these injuries ( currently 22nd, should break the top 10 next year ). Lifetime .310 hitter. Go Miggy.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:58 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Don't worry, he will be.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:27 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Good luck Miguel. A total team player. With his 3,000th hit and already 500+ home runs and when he gets his 600th double ( at 599 now) he will only be the 3rd player in history to achieve this ( Aaron and Pujols are the other 2). I think of him as a great pure hitter with power. Too bad in recent years he has had to play with all those injuries. He was looking at being the all-time RBI leader until these injuries ( currently 22nd, should break the top 10 next year ). Lifetime .310 hitter. Go Miggy.
Well said
100% agree

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-21-2022, 09:18 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
and when he gets his 600th double ( at 599 now) he will only be the 3rd player in history to achieve this ( Aaron and Pujols are the other 2).
Not sure where you're getting that. Cabrera ranks 18th in career doubles, just behind Barry Bonds. Four guys have over 700 doubles -- Speaker, Rose, Musial, and Cobb. Pujols is 5th, Aaron is 13th.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

One of the great looking modern cards IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabrera.jpg (199.1 KB, 326 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:29 AM
Bret B

This begs the question.... Who is NEXT to join the 3000 hit club? I don't think Robinson Cano (currently at 2629) is going to get there. I can see Jose Altuve (1783) and Freddie Freeman (1720) both making a run at it. Thoughts?
Old 04-21-2022, 09:45 AM
Dave

Quote:

As a Yankee fan "Shut yo mouth!"

As a realist, the kids still young and the pandemic didn't help his development, but he's shown almost nothing so far in the low minors.

Maybe he'll take the "but he's a great athlete" path, and develop into something by the time he's 25, like Aaron Judge.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:56 AM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Not sure where you're getting that. Cabrera ranks 18th in career doubles, just behind Barry Bonds. Four guys have over 700 doubles -- Speaker, Rose, Musial, and Cobb. Pujols is 5th, Aaron is 13th.
He's referring to Cabrera likely being only the third player with 3000 hits, 500 home runs, and 600 doubles.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:08 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerbret View Post
This begs the question.... Who is NEXT to join the 3000 hit club? I don't think Robinson Cano (currently at 2629) is going to get there. I can see Jose Altuve (1783) and Freddie Freeman (1720) both making a run at it. Thoughts?

If Cano doesn't make it (and I don't think he will), it might be a verrrrrry long time before we see another 3000 hit guy.

A few years ago, I would have bet my house that Cano and Altuve would get there. The pandemic, injuries and steroids derailed Cano. He needs about 2 1/2 solid seasons to get there. He's signed through next season and I wouldn't be surprised if the Mets just cut bait on him and eat the last year of his contract. Think he's too much of a hot potato for anybody else to pick him up for any type of serious starting job.

Altuve fancies himself a HR hitter now. That and a few injuries have kind of cratered his average and hit numbers. If he can stay healthy, he's still got a shot, but I think it's a bit of a longshot.

Freeman's a 6 foot 5 inch 1st baseman. At some point injuries are going to get him. Likely a HOF career but not quite 3000 hits. He's profiles almost exactly to Eddie Murray, but I don't think he'll stick around quite as long.

After those guys, there's really nobody waiting in the wings to make a go of it.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 04-21-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
If Cano doesn't make it (and I don't think he will), it might be a verrrrrry long time before we see another 3000 hit guy.

A few years ago, I would have bet my house that Cano and Altuve would get there. The pandemic, injuries and steroids derailed Cano. He needs about 2 1/2 solid seasons to get there. He's signed through next season and I wouldn't be surprised if the Mets just cut bait on him and eat the last year of his contract. Think he's too much of a hot potato for anybody else to pick him up for any type of serious starting job.

Altuve fancies himself a HR hitter now. That and a few injuries have kind of cratered his average and hit numbers. If he can stay healthy, he's still got a shot, but I think it's a bit of a longshot.

Freeman's a 6 foot 5 inch 1st baseman. At some point injuries are going to get him. Likely a HOF career but not quite 3000 hits. He's profiles almost exactly to Eddie Murray, but I don't think he'll stick around quite as long.

After those guys, there's really nobody waiting in the wings to make a go of it.
Most Similar by Ages
Eddie Murray (965.7) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
Eddie Murray (956.7) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
Eddie Murray (976.2) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
Eddie Murray (954.4) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
Eddie Murray (944.8) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
Eddie Murray (944.3) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
Eddie Murray (934.6) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
Eddie Murray (930.3) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
Eddie Murray (936.7) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
Eddie Murray (919.9) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
Eddie Murray (926.2) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Elvis Andrus is 33 and has 1800 plus hits. More than Altuve.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:37 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Elvis Andrus is 33 and has 1800 plus hits. More than Altuve.

It's amazing how under the radar he's gotten that many hits, but I'd guess he's a year or two away from being a utility player (this is the last year of his contract), and not much more then that.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's amazing how under the radar he's gotten that many hits, but I'd guess he's a year or two away from being a utility player (this is the last year of his contract), and not much more then that.
Agreed. BTW Machado is halfway there at age 29.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:56 AM
Dave

Quote:
Agreed. BTW Machado is halfway there at age 29.

Ah, Machado. I could see him possibly having an Adrian Beltre type of career and getting there in about 9-10 years, if he can stick around long enough.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Ah, Machado. I could see him possibly having an Adrian Beltre type of career and getting there in about 9-10 years, if he can stick around long enough.
The hobby hates Machado. His RCs are dirt cheap.

Old 04-21-2022, 11:24 AM
Dave

Quote:
The hobby hates Machado. His RCs are dirt cheap.

Yeah, he just keeps chipping away, like Beltre. Beltre had a really good 2nd half of his career, which might be tough for Machado to keep up with...but it's doable.

I don't think Beltre's Rookie cards are on fire either.

Guy is ranked as the 4th best 3rd baseman of all-time by JAWS and has the 27th highest lifetime WAR out of all position players. Almost everybody within sniffing distance of him is a literal icon of the sport.

Nobody cares.

Old 04-21-2022, 11:44 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I am a huge Tigers fan and look at Miggy like many fans of late with a grain of salt. His performance has not matched his salary hit in years, the vast number of diehard fans have not placed these milestones higher than the expiration of his contract and the hope it somewhat gives to a struggling franchise which has largely underspent and underperformed for seasons now.

His contribution was greatly appreciated, but is seen as an albatross around the neck of the organization as of the past years and is completely immovable. Some solace is given in these stepping stones and he will be first ballot. I just often wonder if the fiscal reward was not so great could he have retired earlier and made a stronger impression versus the slow degradation of his skills.

I think while still honorable and tasteful, the retirement celebration for Migs or him moving to other pastures, will far exceed these 500/3000 markers as it will signal reinvestment in the organization (well at least hopefully as Chris Illich certainly is not his father and I am open still to deciding if that is a good thing or not).

The values for Cabrera have never blown up due to many notorious PR disasters due to alcohol, ego and a refusal to bridge his language gap during his prime. I don't know if those will change in time, however I have piles of Miggy rookies and don't see it as a good investment as the "what have you done for me lately" modern collectors drop him as a past star dragging out a career.

Just my observations locally within the Detroit Area (outside of the Central American fanbase where he will always be a legend).
Is it possible this last big contract was to try and at least partially makeup for his earlier year's contracts when he was most likely being underpaid based on his performance?
Old 04-21-2022, 11:44 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
One of the great looking modern cards IMO.
That truly is a great looking card!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 04-21-2022, 12:08 PM
Jim Reynolds

0-2 so far today! Go Yankees!
Old 04-21-2022, 12:55 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Is it possible this last big contract was to try and at least partially makeup for his earlier year's contracts when he was most likely being underpaid based on his performance?
I think that while with the Tigers he was never classified as underpaid in any way. As was and is the Marlins way, he was well underpaid for the 4 short seasons there until the move to Detroit. He made 8,562,000 with Florida, and 341,411,111 so far with Detroit. For that timeframe those are excellent numbers.

Mikey I. signed off on the contract and I think it is just another brick in the wall of ARod type examples of why the super long term massive contracts just don’t work. It’s his contract, is he supposed to give it back? Teams just need to end these silly long terms to not mortgage the future for today.

It’s just difficult as a fan to pay a single player 40% of your cap last year and have an average player who spends a massive amount of time on the DL and lose constantly.

Last edited by JustinD; 04-21-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:02 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I am certain that Cabrera has been a great source of pride in the Latino community. He certainly brings them to the ball parks.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:48 PM

As unpleasant as it is to pay for it down the road, unless you hit the jackpot with your minor leaguers, mortgaging the future for the present is the only way you're going to get someone to win a triple crown for you. He was worth far more than he was being paid during the prime of his career. But no team has room in their budget to spend $60m a year on a player, so they sign star free agents to long contracts that underpay them when they're young and overpay them when they're old. Miggy's salary this year should really be seen as deferred compensation from the years in which he was actually really good.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:50 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I am certain that Cabrera has been a great source of pride in the Latino community. He certainly brings them to the ball parks.
That is an incredibly true statement.

Old 04-21-2022, 02:50 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Sadly he will have to wait another day

but tomorrow he is home so can do it in front of his Home Team Crowd

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 04-21-2022, 03:42 PM
Fred

Quote:
+1 and then some

I'd take a Miggy rookie any day over Dominguez.

Last edited by Fred; 04-21-2022 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:57 PM
Ian H@ll

A card:

Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 04-23-2022, 11:25 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

And there it is!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-23-2022, 11:53 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
And there it is!
Yes and he did it in front of home crowd.

And it is a short sample but he is batting .325 thru the first 12 games

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 04-23-2022, 11:55 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Yes and he did it in front of home crowd.

And it is a short sample but he is batting .325 thru the first 12 games
Yes, and a great moment! I find it fitting that the rookie he presented the ceremonial 1B glove to, Spencer Torkelson, drove Miggy in with this 3rd career HR! Very cool
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-23-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Yes, and a great moment! I find it fitting that the rookie he presented the ceremonial 1B glove to, Spencer Torkelson, drove Miggy in with this 3rd career HR! Very cool
It seems like Miggy has really taken Tork under his wing and is helping mentor him this year. Have to wonder if the sense of "passing the torch" is giving him a bit of a boost.
Love to see Miggy getting to savor the moment in front of the home crowd.

Successful transactions with: t206kid, rootsearcher60, 36GoudeyMan, 53toppscollector, Scott L, horzverti, YazFenway08

Also on blowout! Same username.

Flippin my way to a PSA 1 Eddie Plank
Old 04-23-2022, 12:17 PM
Dave

Miggy's power stroke has almost disappeared (and he doesn't hit many doubles anymore either), but I'd love to see him find a final gear and finish out fairly strong before he calls it a career. Anywhere near an .800 OPS and a .290 average or so would be fantastic. Don't even care about WAR anymore, just have a nice "professional hitter at the end of his career" type season.
Old 04-23-2022, 01:54 PM
Matt

Default another card...

Congrats Miggy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img339.jpg (170.4 KB, 91 views)