NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-07-2012, 08:08 AM
J@RR0D

Default My new autograph collecting focus

So after a lot of purchasing this-n-that-n-the other thing, I've decided to truly pursue one focused lot of autographs. And I don't think I could've picked a more difficult lot to go for!

I've decided to try and obtain the signature of every person who spoke at the 1939 Inaugural Hall of Fame Induction. I'm sure most of you have heard the audio recording of it. It's simply wonderful, with short speeches made by many of the people who made our game great. It's something I listen to probably once a week in my car, in my opinion it's the best 30 minutes of baseball audio ever.

Now, for the autos... Again, I couldn't have picked a more popular lot to collect but this will be a long term collecting goal, not one to be completed this year. Plus, it will encompass most of baseballs greats only leaving Lou Gehrig, Christy Mathewson, and Willy Keeler as those missing from that era. Here are the signatures I would need. If any of this is in error, please feel free to correct me.

Charles Doyle (sportswriter, master of ceremonies)
Rowan Spraker (Mayor of Cooperstown, this one will be hard)
John A Heydler
Kennesaw M Landis
Ford Frick
William Harridge
William Bramham (also likely difficult)
Connie Mack
Ty Cobb*
Honus Wagner
Tris Speaker
Napoleon Lajoie
Cy Young
Walter Johnson
George Sisler
Eddie Collins
Grover Cleveland Alexander
Babe Ruth
Mel Allen*
Tom Manning (NBC commentator)

* = Ty Cobb was late arriving so he didn't actually speak during the ceremony. However, he was interviewed later in the broadcast by Mel Allen.

Thoughts on this endeavor?

Last edited by scmavl; 02-19-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 AM
$teve O.

WOW! That is going to be a challenge.But that is the fun part of collecting!!
Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Cool idea, FWIW though Branham is not difficult at all and actually relatively plentiful so that should put some ease into it, he should set you back less than $100 as he signed a lot of Minor League documents in his day.

Rhys Yeakley
Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Cool idea, FWIW though Branham is not difficult at all and actually relatively plentiful so that should put some ease into it, he should set you back less than $100 as he signed a lot of Minor League documents in his day.

Rhys Yeakley
That's great to hear, thanks. My initial searches didn't find anything from him.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Pete Sycks

Best of luck Jarrod. Finding a decent Ruth for under $2k will be a treat.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 AM
J@RR0D

Agreed, Pete. The Ruth and Johnson will break me I'm sure! This will be a slow, slow process.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Sounds like a fun project. As for Cobb, I know he was late for the official photograph, but I just saw one of the MLB shows (may have been one of the Prime9 shows) and I'm pretty sure I remember Cobb giving a short thank you speach at the HOF. He seemed to be talking to the crowd and not just an interviewer.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:42 PM

I've got an Alexander signed baseball for sale if you want it. But it is expensive.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:07 PM
qu@n nguy3n

easy peasy

Last edited by chaddurbin; 01-07-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
* = Ty Cobb was late arriving so he didn't actually speak during the ceremony. However, he was interviewed later in the broadcast by Mel Allen.
If you're seeking Cobb and Allen because they were part of the radio broadcast, you might want to consider including Tom Manning, who was the NBC commentator on the broadcast.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
If you're seeking Cobb and Allen because they were part of the radio broadcast, you might want to consider including Tom Manning, who was the NBC commentator on the broadcast.
I considered that. It's probably not a bad idea.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's a signed ball from that very event.

As evidenced underneath Ruth, James Farley was there too. Also on the ball (but not pictured) are Eddie Collins, Connie Mack, Tris Speaker, Ford Frick and Kennesaw M. Landis...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Babe 016.jpg (68.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 01-11-2012, 02:40 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

I think Perezfan is trying to kill poor Jarrod by showing that ball...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
I think Perezfan is trying to kill poor Jarrod by showing that ball...
Actually, Perezfan sent me a PM offering to sell it to me for $250, but I think that's a little high. I mean, look how faded the thing is!!!