NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2022, 09:25 AM
Jim Reynolds

My focus is rather odd, because there is no focus on collecting anything in particular, per se.

If I find a T206 for $10 in an antique store, I buy it. Not because its cheap, but just because its an old baseball card...but I'm not actively building the T206 set.

Same goes for Zeenut cards, T205s, Goudeys, Indian Gum cards, vintage non-sports cards, Salada/Junket coins, Armour coins, Rold Gold pins, 1970 Topps football cards, old ticket stubs, game used bats, and just about any other oddball vintage baseball / football item that catches my eye.

I like the rescues....the weird, one-off baseball collectible that you find stuck in a book, or in a junk drawer at a yard sale. I'm not actively shopping eBay to finish off any set. I just like the randomness of finding some old baseball or football thing tucked away somewhere.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:26 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
My focus is rather odd, because there is no focus on collecting anything in particular, per se.

If I find a T206 for $10 in an antique store, I buy it. Not because its cheap, but just because its an old baseball card...but I'm not actively building the T206 set.

Same goes for Zeenut cards, T205s, Goudeys, Indian Gum cards, vintage non-sports cards, Salada/Junket coins, Armour coins, Rold Gold pins, 1970 Topps football cards, old ticket stubs, game used bats, and just about any other oddball vintage baseball / football item that catches my eye.

I like the rescues....the weird, one-off baseball collectible that you find stuck in a book, or in a junk drawer at a yard sale. I'm not actively shopping eBay to finish off any set. I just like the randomness of finding some old baseball or football thing tucked away somewhere.
I am right there with ya, Jim!

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."
Old 04-27-2022, 11:47 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post

Jim, I am the same as you except that I also chase sets.

I have a number of Hostess boxes, wiffle ball boxes, pennants, unopened wax packs and boxes, ticket stubs and more.

Most of my collection is post-war, but I've been building up more and more pre-war over the past couple of years. Probably my most niche set is the W554 set. Here's 16 of them, A few of these have been through (or with the help of Net54 members). I'm waiting on 1 to be delivered. I just need Lefty O'Doul to complete the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220427_183319.jpg (198.0 KB, 203 views)
Old 04-27-2022, 12:03 PM
Ben Gehler

I have developed anther side project; after a visit to downstate IL,
the "B-R-S Museum" (Bottomley/Ruffing/Schalk) in Nokomis, IL.
When I run across a major league ball player who was born in my state of IL,
add a card to the project. Another fun side to card collecting.

Ben

Old 04-27-2022, 12:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
I collect pre-war or new sports cards of athletes in any sport with their first or last name of Hogan.
So those are Hogan's Heroes?

Sorry...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-27-2022, 02:34 PM

Focus is one thing. Remembering all the examples?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1925 W504 Senators [Front].jpg (79.5 KB, 196 views)
Old 04-27-2022, 05:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

More:

Joe D:

Dom D

Artie Wilson, 1949 PCL:

NLer who hit over .400 twice and is the last man in the majors to do so.

Rocky Marciano at his training camp:

Jack Dempsey sparring, 1919:

Joe Louis, 1935

Muhammad Ali

QB Marshall Goldberg at a collegiate all-star game, 1939

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-27-2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:04 PM
Jim Reynolds

Thanks, gents. I was beginning to wonder if my collection was too random!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benge610 View Post
I am right there with ya, Jim!

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Jim, I am the same as you except that I also chase sets.

I have a number of Hostess boxes, wiffle ball boxes, pennants, unopened wax packs and boxes, ticket stubs and more.

Most of my collection is post-war, but I've been building up more and more pre-war over the past couple of years. Probably my most niche set is the W554 set. Here's 16 of them, A few of these have been through (or with the help of Net54 members). I'm waiting on 1 to be delivered. I just need Lefty O'Doul to complete the set.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:02 PM
Ben

PC796’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2022, 08:47 AM
Dan

Default Wow!

Just wanted to thank everyone who has responded so far! I’ve had a blast going through the post and have seen some really awesome stuff I didn’t even know was out there.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:27 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

My niche focuses are:

White/Black Sox W514 subset (just completed)
Mickey Mantle Topps/Bowman (7x remaining)
T206 520 Set (still 394x remaining)
Old 04-29-2022, 11:08 AM
Val Kehl

I have perhaps too many niche-collection focuses, which in order of current importance to me are:
- A Sam Rice master card collection (see current wants in my signature line below).
- Walter Johnson cards, with emphasis on his black & white, real-photo cards.
- Cards of all the other players on the 1924 Washington Senators WS Championship Team (including cards issued when these players were on other teams).
- Pete Runnels & Mickey Vernon cards and memorabilia. These were my favorite Senators' players when I was a kid. Need 1962 & 1963 complete Jello boxes for Runnels.
- Virginia League cards from these sets/subsets: E222 A.W.H. Caramels (need Lipe, Revelle, & Ryan), T209-2 Contentnea (need many), T210-2 Old Mill (have completed), and T206 (slowly working to complete).
- Pre-War type cards, with emphasis on scarce issues with advertising.
- Back run of non-T206 Hugh Jennings cards with his "ee-yah" pose and the red/orange background. Need E92 Croft's Candy w/red back, T216 Kotton Cigarettes with "NGO" back, and a blank back.
- N172 Old Judge cards of Washington players, at least one pose of each. Need (card must show "Washington"): Daly, J.C. Healy, Arthur Irwin, Morrill, & Wise, plus 2-player cards of Gaffney-Shoch & Gardner-Murray.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 04-29-2022, 02:59 PM

Pre war cards - sample type collection...its been reduced considerably now...but I have kept a small group.

Exhibit Type Cards (pre and post war BB and FB) - focus on HOF and short prints, color and back variations

Post War Type Cards (focus on Topps including unissued proofs and test cards, looking for Hostess unissued proofs).

Still have ungraded Topps BB set run (70-79 plus greatest moments set), 71-73 Topps FB set run.

Topps ungraded Basketball set run (72-73 and 73-74) plus complete 86-87 Fleer Basketball set (Jordan and Barkley are graded rest are ungraded).

OPC 71-72 ungraded Hockey Set.

Ricky Y