NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2022, 03:06 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
"Nightmare?" They will profit nicely from this nightmare.

Not saying it was planned, but they sure found a way to take advantage of the situation.
I think people vastly overestimate the "advantage" a situation like this brings to the auction company. For every person who decides to throw a few bids they might not have (which really doesn't make much sense) there are several who might have still been interested in bidding yesterday who are pissed and won't bid today.

But let's spitball and make up a number. Let's say this adds something crazy like $250k in bids that they WOULDN'T have gotten yesterday. That would likely add about $62,500 to REA's bottom line. Does anyone REALLY think this hassle, bad publicity, pissed off buyers AND consignors (consignors like things to go as planned, period) and aggravation is worth $62,500 to REA?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-25-2022, 03:10 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post
The '39 DiMaggio Play Ball hadn't received a bid since 9pm on 4/22..... until about 10 minutes ago when someone just bid on it.

amazing!
But there's no reason to believe that that same person wouldn't have bid in extended bidding last night if the site had been running properly. It's not proof of any difference. I don't know why the assumption is that with a faulty ending suddenly people will be willing to pay more that they would have if things had run properly. It's a logical leap I'm not willing to make.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 04-25-2022, 03:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
But there's no reason to believe that that same person wouldn't have bid in extended bidding last night if the site had been running properly. It's not proof of any difference. I don't know why the assumption is that with a faulty ending suddenly people will be willing to pay more that they would have if things had run properly. It's a logical leap I'm not willing to make.
Same flawed logic I've seen used to justify keeping an auction open until 6AM. But we got lots of bids from 5 to 6!!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:26 PM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

The auction should be shut down at 9pm period. People have had all day to come up with a bid. This doesn't make any sense to me. Frank
Old 04-25-2022, 03:29 PM
Mark

Quote:
I think people vastly overestimate the "advantage" a situation like this brings to the auction company. For every person who decides to throw a few bids they might not have (which really doesn't make much sense) there are several who might have still been interested in bidding yesterday who are pissed and won't bid today.

But let's spitball and make up a number. Let's say this adds something crazy like $250k in bids that they WOULDN'T have gotten yesterday. That would likely add about $62,500 to REA's bottom line. Does anyone REALLY think this hassle, bad publicity, pissed off buyers AND consignors (consignors like things to go as planned, period) and aggravation is worth $62,500 to REA?
Yep! looks like someone pulled the plug
Old 04-25-2022, 03:31 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Yeah I'm sure they're thrilled when it happens.
Financially speaking, they’re probably not too upset, and not scrambling to pay a ton of money to fix the issue. Short term this has increased profit. Long term probably doesn’t have much of an effect. I’m sure they didn’t want it to happen but they’re probably not crying either.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:39 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

I am not saying the entire "situation" is an advantage to the AH. What I am saying is, to use your numbers:

1. Server crashed. Accident that is a bummer for everyone.
2. Auction SHOULD resume the next evening from the point where it crashed, in other words, as lots are going into individual 10 minute rule.
3. REA instead opens up the auction all day today and puts that estimated $62,500 in their pocket, and lots of smiles on the faces of their consigners.

So, in your scenario, my issue is with that marginal $62.5k garnered by adding another day to the auction needlessly.

To be clear, I honestly believe REA would've rather had the servers stay up and things work as expected. But when they didn't, there was no valid excuse to pad the bidding time by an extra day.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:58 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

And I bet the number is a lot less that $250k. Most of the bids coming in today are ones that would have been made last night if the system didn’t have issues. I would trust Brian to hold my wallet, which is something I can say about very few people in the world. I trust he made the best decision for all involved.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:25 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Just flat out unacceptable. Personal opinion.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:26 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

To be clear, I honestly believe REA would've rather had the servers stay up and things work as expected.
There seemed to be some arguing otherwise. Sounds like we're in agreement though.

Old 04-25-2022, 04:34 PM
Jonathan Schwartz

I JUST now got outbid on the lot I was winning.
Such fkn bullshit.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:53 PM

This thread is truly gold.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:59 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
I am not saying the entire "situation" is an advantage to the AH. What I am saying is, to use your numbers:

1. Server crashed. Accident that is a bummer for everyone.
2. Auction SHOULD resume the next evening from the point where it crashed, in other words, as lots are going into individual 10 minute rule.
3. REA instead opens up the auction all day today and puts that estimated $62,500 in their pocket, and lots of smiles on the faces of their consigners.

So, in your scenario, my issue is with that marginal $62.5k garnered by adding another day to the auction needlessly.

To be clear, I honestly believe REA would've rather had the servers stay up and things work as expected. But when they didn't, there was no valid excuse to pad the bidding time by an extra day.
Is it safe to assume you haven't put any bids in today, nor will you?
Old 04-25-2022, 05:01 PM
Brian

All of the items that I was winning should have been considered closed.
All of the items that I consigned should remain open as long as it takes to get every possible bid placed and to wring every last possible dollar out of the prospective bidders.
(No I'm not serious)
Old 04-25-2022, 05:03 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Is it safe to assume you haven't put any bids in today, nor will you?
I haven't. My max bid was pushed to the limit this morning at 7 AM.

I keep thinking about what Peter always says: "Stuff trumps all." I want to be principled and walk away. On the other hand, I really did want to win my item.

In answer to your next question, yes, it's weird having Peter living in my head.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I haven't. My max bid was pushed to the limit this morning at 7 AM.

I keep thinking about what Peter always says: "Stuff trumps all." I want to be principled and walk away. On the other hand, I really did want to win my item.

In answer to your next question, yes, it's weird having Peter living in my head.
As long as I am there, I urge you to try to win the item you want, I see no great principle involved here, the AH did its best with a shitty turn of events.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-25-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:10 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
There seemed to be some arguing otherwise. Sounds like we're in agreement though.
They didn’t do it intentionally. Not sure I’m giving a round of applause for that.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:24 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Just curious. Has anyone today had internet connectivity issues and-not necessarily meaning this is connected to REA-previously bidding in the auction?
My internet & tv were down 3 pm until. 7 pm today xfinity.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-25-2022, 05:30 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Can we all stop complaining please come the next auction people will completely forget about this it’ll be an afterthought. REA is one of the best AH’s out there, things happen, they’re doing the best they can with the outage.

People are getting so bent out of shape there will be more auctions more cards just be patient. Good things will come.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:35 PM
Howard Chasser

Default My thoughts

1) I wholeheartedly believe this was unintentional. I also agree it is a crappy situation with no possible positive outcome for everyone.
2) I agree with others who have commented that the auction should have been restarted at whatever point (9PM is fine) from where we left off yesterday at the 10 minute closing rather than having an entire day of additional bidding.
3) There is A LOT of psychology to bidding and auctions - the argument that "people will bid what they would have bid" holds no water with me. If someone gets outbid - the more time they have to think about it, the greater likelihood there is that they will place a bid they would not otherwise have placed if not given the time to think. This is certainly not on every item, but will occur on many lots. If this wasn't a factor "sniping" wouldn't exist.
4) The thing that bothers me most was the lack of communication between ~12AM and 1:14AM - The clock was counting down on each lot - I and others were permitted to place bids without clarity on whether the auction would end last night or be pushed till today. I placed bids in that time period thinking there was a chance the auction would close according to the clocks that were counting down. At 1:14 well over an hour after the problem started the email went out saying the auction would be extended. Fairer (imo) would have been to "pause the auction" closer to when the problem began until a decision was made and clearly communicated with everyone.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:36 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Can we all stop complaining please come the next auction people will completely forget about this it’ll be an afterthought. REA is one of the best AH’s out there, things happen, they’re doing the best they can with the outage.

People are getting so bent out of shape there will be more auctions more cards just be patient. Good things will come.
Avoidable issue. Not the first time it has happened. I think that’s why people are upset.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:37 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvancouver View Post
I JUST now got outbid on the lot I was winning.
Such fkn bullshit.
Again I ask why would you assume that person wouldn't have bid yesterday if everything had been working. Oddly enough a lot of bids normally come in at that time that didn't. The assumption that this is activity that wouldn't have happened otherwise is odd. We don't know one way or the other for sure, but the idea that this added time suddenly made people want to spend more certainly seems to be the opposite reaction to the one almost everyone on Net54 is having.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:37 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Avoidable issue. Not the first time it has happened. I think that’s why people are upset.
But do they really care ? I would say no they don’t because you can see above they still want the cards if they have a card that they want they’re going to bid they could care less about what happened last night they want the card. The card trumps all past behavior and past issues are what they are they are, the past, if the card is here now they’re going to bid and they’re going to do what it takes 9x out of 10 to win it. That’s why the complaining is kind of like whatever to me

Last edited by Johnny630; 04-25-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:39 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
LOL that was funny.
I'm sure it's mildly embarrassing for 5 minutes.

This whole thread proves beyond a doubt that most of you aren't going to give a shit when this happens in the slightest. Why should they.

Like when McDonalds offers 1975 prices, get overwhelmed with foot traffic, and then call the whole thing off a few hours later. You thing they are embarrassed???? Hahahahahaha.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-25-2022 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:39 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
But do they really care ? I would say no they don’t because you can see above they still want the cards if they have a card that they want they’re going to bid they could care less about what happened last night they want the card. The card trumps all past behavior and past issues or what they are they are the past if the card is here now they’re going to bed and they’re going to buy. That’s why the complaining is kind of whatever to me
100 percent.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:42 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

It would be a riot to lay this thread next to similar threads regarding when the exact same problem happened to Goldin. Just sayin.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:46 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
1) I wholeheartedly believe this was unintentional. I also agree it is a crappy situation with no possible positive outcome for everyone.
2) I agree with others who have commented that the auction should have been restarted at whatever point (9PM is fine) from where we left off yesterday at the 10 minute closing rather than having an entire day of additional bidding.
3) There is A LOT of psychology to bidding and auctions - the argument that "people will bid what they would have bid" holds no water with me. If someone gets outbid - the more time they have to think about it, the greater likelihood there is that they will place a bid they would not otherwise have placed if not given the time to think. This is certainly not on every item, but will occur on many lots. If this wasn't a factor "sniping" wouldn't exist.
4) The thing that bothers me most was the lack of communication between ~12AM and 1:14AM - The clock was counting down on each lot - I and others were permitted to place bids without clarity on whether the auction would end last night or be pushed till today. I placed bids in that time period thinking there was a chance the auction would close according to the clocks that were counting down. At 1:14 well over an hour after the problem started the email went out saying the auction would be extended. Fairer (imo) would have been to "pause the auction" closer to when the problem began until a decision was made and clearly communicated with everyone.
Agree completely. This wins my vote for best, most succinct post in this thread.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:51 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

This whole thread proves beyond a doubt that most of you aren't going to give a shit when this happens in the slightest. Why should they.

Like when McDonalds offers 1975 prices, get overwhelmed with foot traffic, and then call the whole thing off a few hours later. You thing they are embarrassed???? Hahahahahaha.
100 percent.

Saw a lot of comments today about how people are never bidding in REA auctions again. True for now… until REA sends out its next catalogue.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:52 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Bada ba ba ba I’m Lovin it !
Old 04-25-2022, 05:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
100 percent.

Saw a lot of comments today about how people are never bidding in REA auctions again. True for now… until REA sends out its next catalogue.
Hobby memories are short. My guess is not one single person will stop bidding over this. Nor should they IMO.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-25-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:54 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Agreed.
I'm down to currently winning 2 lots (it was 4 before the server issues last night)...and those 2 lots have gone up $1500 combined today (so far) with the added "bonus" of an entire extra day of extended bidding. Cosigner and AH happy...potential buyer not so happy.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:56 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
100 percent.

Next catalog.... hell if they had a bid in they’re only going to be complaining till 2100 tonight so they can bid again.

Last edited by Johnny630; 04-25-2022 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
100 percent.

I didn't see any comments where someone said they won't bid with them again but I might have missed it. If they won't it might be a customer REA can live without. Is it extended bidding yet?

Last edited by Leon; 04-25-2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Regarding point 3, I hear you but I think the opposite is plausible too, people who were caught up in the heat of pitched battle late at night, who were ready to bid more, take a more reasoned approach in the sober light of day and don't place that next bid.

Old 04-25-2022, 06:01 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Regarding point 3, I hear you but I think the opposite is plausible too, people who were caught up in the heat of pitched battle late at night, who were ready to bid more, take a more reasoned approach in the sober light of day and don't place that next bid.
Agree on that statement.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:06 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Last night/early morning was brutal, kindly stay off my 4 lots and I'll leave the other 3500+ alone...

And good luck to everybody bidding (again)!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-25-2022, 06:11 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post
The '39 DiMaggio Play Ball hadn't received a bid since 9pm on 4/22..... until about 10 minutes ago when someone just bid on it.

amazing!
Carl, what you don't know is if the person who bid on this card 10 minutes ago is the same person who wasn't able to access the auction after midnight last night to place this same bid.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I got outbid on my last lot I was high on today. I think I am going to put my head down and dive back in ..Damn the torpedoes!
Old 04-25-2022, 06:27 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I got outbid on my last lot I was high on today. I think I am going to put my head down and dive back in ..Damn the torpedoes!
Atta boy!
Old 04-25-2022, 06:28 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default this

For me Howard nails it right here. Everything else is fine - but the uncertainty during that hour really pissed me off. You felt like you had to continue bidding and yet you had no idea what was happening. I understand the lack of emails until they were really sure what they needed to do, but they should have suspended bidding right at 12:10 and not turned anything back on until after they had made the decision to extend for a day.

Tim

4) The thing that bothers me most was the lack of communication between ~12AM and 1:14AM - The clock was counting down on each lot - I and others were permitted to place bids without clarity on whether the auction would end last night or be pushed till today. I placed bids in that time period thinking there was a chance the auction would close according to the clocks that were counting down. At 1:14 well over an hour after the problem started the email went out saying the auction would be extended. Fairer (imo) would have been to "pause the auction" closer to when the problem began until a decision was made and clearly communicated with everyone.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-25-2022, 07:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
All of these points are spot-on in my opinion as well...

Especially #3. It's a proven fact that given more time to think about it, more bids will come in. That's precisely why sniping is so effective. What if your winning eBay snipe erroneously registered an hour early? More than likely, someone would outbid it.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:02 PM
DR
David R@tliff

hahaha - and so it begins - items i won 3 different times last night i've not been outbid

perfect!

Last edited by bounce; 04-25-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:09 PM

Start the Jeopardy theme.

Last edited by Slapshot; 04-25-2022 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:10 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I am out. Every item I was high bidder on through the night and through overtime has now been outbid and I can't bid on any other items to put my money elsewhere. Have a good night in REA everyone.

My wife will be happy I will not be spending any money!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-25-2022, 07:22 PM
Mike

Thank you REA for starting the extended bidding tonight at 9 pm. My lots are already locked and sold and I can go to bed early. Love it.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:25 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Alright, I'm out. Whoever keeps bumping me on the M101 type cards, congratulations on your winnings.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:29 PM

Managed to win the "one that got away" last night. It's a card that Leon would approve of, low technical grade=lower price(still a record price for the grade level) with killer eye appeal. Bought the card, not the holder.

Last edited by sb1; 04-25-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:32 PM
Mike P.ap

Default yay

I still have 1 consigned card going strong!

Yay!

Mike
Old 04-25-2022, 07:32 PM
Robert Klevens

I sold the Cobb and won the Wagner. I'm quite pleased with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaitems.jpg (86.6 KB, 343 views)
Old 04-25-2022, 07:33 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Didn't expect REA would end this early tonite, i was going to put in my last few bids on the Wagner. Damn.