NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-16-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Please Help! - Roger Maris Auto

Hello,

I have an opportunity to purchase an 8x10 autographed by Roger Maris but I have concerns. It was authenticated by Drew Max (Pawn Stars) in 1998. The current owner says he bought it 8 years ago from a local card shop with this authentication. I'm seeing forums all over the internet regarding the illegitimacy of Drew Max (AAU - Authentic Autographs Unlimited) seems I can't rely on that cert.

To my untrained eye, the auto looks good. If this is legit, it appears it could be worth $600-$1200. I've negotiated to $300, but wondering if anyone has opinions of the authenticity before I pull the trigger?

Genuinely appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roger Maris Auto.jpg (26.6 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg Roger Maris Auto 2.jpg (17.9 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg Roger Maris Auto 3.jpg (36.1 KB, 240 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

No-just on the COA alone, didn't even look at the Autograph.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:28 AM
Michael I.

I would pass on that one. The certificate alone would be the first reason.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
I would pass on that one. The certificate alone would be the first reason.
Quite true.
And the signature is obviously bad, as well.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Drew Max was fired from Pawn Stars for his many mistakes. This is one of them.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Robert Williams

I would be uncomfortable with that one.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:07 AM

Thank you all for the replies. I get not trusting the COA due to it being done by Drew Max, but what is it about the signature that looks suspicious? I'm comparing to others in that period, it seems accurate to me?

I'm also in Fargo, ND where he grew up so would expect a higher likelihood something from this area would be legit with his frequent trips home, charity events, etc.

I've only seen 1 other example of this specific pic of him signed during his stint with the Indians. You would think a lot of the forgeries would be NY.

Not an expert, so appreciate your advice.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Ryan

You can tell by the "R" alone that it is a clunky, slowly signed, awful forgery.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I would be uncomfortable with that one.
bobby nailed it!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:57 AM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
bobby nailed it!
The flow is slow drawn and I agree the R is horrible.
Im sure it would have been sent to PSA or JSA and been rejected before you let a hack like Drew certify it...If price to good to be true it normally is. But hey its your 300 bucks you just asked for opinions.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Richard Simon

Offer the seller a buck eighty five and he might take it.
That is about what it is worth.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2540 View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I get not trusting the COA due to it being done by Drew Max, but what is it about the signature that looks suspicious? I'm comparing to others in that period, it seems accurate to me?

I'm also in Fargo, ND where he grew up so would expect a higher likelihood something from this area would be legit with his frequent trips home, charity events, etc.

I've only seen 1 other example of this specific pic of him signed during his stint with the Indians. You would think a lot of the forgeries would be NY.

Forgeries are meant to have the appearance of looking authentic.

If you don't have an "eye" for autographs, every Mantle and Maris you observe will look authentic.

I have never seen an authentic Mantle, Maris, DiMaggio, Williams, etc. with a COA from Drew Max/AAU.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2540 View Post

There is another collector here in Fargo?

I would agree that this is a lot better forgery than about any other i have seen fir maris(maryicularly the meat of the “m”)so would love to hear what others say.
I also tend to agree that it looks a bit suspect in the Roger.. particularly the R. That said, I keep looking at it without 100 percent dismissal despite the coa.
I agree with 99 percent certainty though.. it looks off as a whole. I am trying to figure out what the percentage would be in my simple brain without that coa though..

Again... i am just a photo guy though...

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 11-16-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Belltown Vintage

My thoughts are that some people can spot forgeries fairly easily if it is an autograph they have looked for quite a bit;i.e-seen many forgeries and many real ones. Others can spot them much more easily - perhaps they have seen one legitimate example and committed it to memory, plus they notice things a forger would do that others wouldn't notice. Others can't spot forgeries if the autograph looks 'close' to someone who has seen a real example but not really studied them closely. Nothing wrong with any of these skill sets.

I still can't tell a later Mantle forgery from a real one, even the ones that Shelly says are obvious.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post

I would agree that this is a lot better forgery than about any other i have seen fir maris(maryicularly the meat of the “m”)so would love to hear what others say.
I also tend to agree that it looks a bit suspect in the Roger.. particularly the R. That said, I keep looking at it without 100 percent dismissal despite the coa.
I agree with 99 percent certainty though.. it looks off as a whole. I am trying to figure out what the percentage would be in my simple brain without that coa though..

Again... i am just a photo guy though...
The slants of the letters and the 'R' caught my eye immediately. You nailed it with "it looks off as a whole".

I have never heard the term 'maryicularly', but I like it.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:09 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Rager maris... uh no.