NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-07-2002, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Default Drum?? Uzit??

Posted By: Mark 

Does anyone have an idea of just how many of these are out there?? I don't collect T206's primarily, but periodically I've toyed with the idea of collecting one of each back. It seems as if these backs simply do not exist. I think the last time I saw a Drum on Ebay, it went for over $400, and it was a common in questionable condition. Same goes for Uzit.

What's the deal???

-Mark

Old 10-07-2002, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Default Drum?? Uzit??

Posted By: ty_cobb

The March 2001 issue of VCBC lists VG/EX prices
of $1250 for Drum and $500 for T206 Uzits.
Their survey of 437,000 T206 backs turned up
29 Drums and 63 Uzit backs. In discussions with
advanced collectors it is speculated these numbers
are much higher, easily several hundred Drums
and double as many Uzit backs.
Comparatively, T205 Drums are much rarer with 3-4
dozen examples.
I was thinking of bidding on the Uzit Manning on
eBay which went for $355 but it was in good condition
at best, I'm hoping to find a better example.

Old 10-07-2002, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Default Drum?? Uzit??

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Cardknowledge@earthlink.net may have a few cards to choose from and your e-mail bounced?

Old 10-09-2002, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Default Drum?? Uzit??

Posted By: James

As a t206 back collector and an Ebay power seller (handling almost exclusively t206s), I'd love to comment on this.

The last three Drum back t206s I have sold - averaging about g+, have brought between $1500 and $4000. The two t205 Drum backs I have handled recently sold for about $3000 - and they were p/f in condition.

Oddly, I find the UZIT back to be FAR more difficult to come by than Drum backs.

I have had maybe a dozen Drum backs in the last two years, and only one UZIT back during the same period of time.

I see this same phenomena reflected in major auctions. A couple of times, Mastro has run lots that featured various backs. As I recall (and I am stretching my memory here), the last group they ran featured all of the tougher backs (Lenox, Drum, Carolina Brights, etc.), with the exception of an UZIT card.

It is always difficult to say how many are truly out there. Polls among active collectors reflect only a residual number. Polls among sellers reflect an inaccurate perception of volume. For example, the smaller number of UZIT backs in circulation among sales channels, could be accounted for by the largest percentage of those in existence being held by the largest group of collectors that retain their cards, and do not turn them over frequently. There is also the possibility that there are a greater number of LOWER condition Drum backs than of UZIT backs, and it is widely believed that lower condition cards tend to circulate more frequently than higher end merchandise. Thus, the higher end cards are seen less, and the lower end examples - Drum, in this example, are more public.

Either way, I think published pricing schematics do not accurately reflect true value, as with many many sets. A common thread on this board involves the question "what set is most undervalued"? If a guide says the value of a Drum back is 15x that of a common back, but, an ungraded example sells for 40x...I think it should be revisted.

I think the problem with price guides is that they do not emphasize strongly enough how important condition is, and what an enormous difference it has in determining value. Most people are of the belief that t206s are rare. They are not rare. There are 30,000+ in circulation. What is rare is to find one in better condition. This is the case with many sets. And, I think many sets are just ridiculously undervalued.

Old 10-09-2002, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default Drum?? Uzit??

Posted By: jay behrens

I think you might be issing some zeros from your estimate of the number of t206s out there. 30k would make them fairly rare and completing a set almost impossible

Jay

Old 10-09-2002, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default Drum?? Uzit??

Posted By: John(z28jd)

Supposedly theres almost 1 million T206 cards sill in circulation,which would mean up to about 2000 of the most common cards(not players) exist. Saying that drums could have as many as several hundred(unless several means 2 or 3 to you) and uzit double that is very misleading.Altho its impossible to tell unless every person who had one fessed up i would guess the drums to be about 150-200 and uzits approx. double that(350 range) For the record,on ebay drums and uzits show up about the same regularity,tho some of the same ones show up more than once because they dont meet reserve or are resold,etc. Drums are about as common as the Demmitt,or O'Hara st louis versions....and to Jay the set is almost impossible for me to finish,because my paycheck is missing some zeroes

Old 10-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Default Drum?? Uzit??

Posted By: jay behrens

just write in teh extra zeros yourself. The bank will never know the differnce

Jay

Old 10-10-2002, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Default Drum?? Uzit??

Posted By: Robert

Hello I hear lot of talk about how rare the Drum and Uzit backs are but how rare are the Lenox. I have a Ty Cobb Red Background with the Lenox back,how rare is it? Bigb13

Old 11-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Default Drum?? Uzit??

Posted By: Robert

Which issue number is March 2001 of the VCBC? And does it have a lot of info on T206 and there backs? Rob

Old 11-08-2002, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Default Drum?? Uzit??

Posted By: runscott

It is generally agreed that Drum is more difficult than Uzit (maybe 2x). I don't have access to James' collection, but all surveys I've seen agree with this, and the auctions I've seen (ebay,etc.) support it as well.

The backs multiplier list at the t206museum site is a good starting place, and the one in the VCBC issue #26 (Doug and Art) is much better if you can get a copy. The main difference between the two is that the t206museum list has PRICE multipliers and the VCBC list is for RARITY. There is a big difference!

Old 11-08-2002, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Default Drum?? Uzit??

Posted By: runscott

Doug and Art listed Brown Lenox behind Uzit in rarity, but as more rare than Red Hindu. - their associated premium was in line with rarity.

t206museum assigned price multipliers of 70x to BL460 and Drum, and 60x to Brown Lenox. They had Black Lenox and Red Hindu at 20x. I don't know if these have changed in the last year as I no longer visit their site, but they seem reasonable. I'm not sure about the Brown Lenox but I have seen very, very few of them.