NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Default Buying Collections and Eating Sheetz

Leighton and I returned yesterday from a 3 day road trip that resulted in netting a nice collection of complete 1951-1978 Topps Sets (with many of the variation and later add-on fantasy cards), complete 1948-1955 Bowman Sets, complete Kellogg's run, many Topps inserts and other issues (Doubleheaders, Stand-ups, etc) and a myriad of other odd-ball and unique items. We'll share some of the purchase as we get it sorted.

The interesting thing about being on an extended road trip (this one included stops in OH and a few in PA) is that you see many different things that make otherwise mundane driving interesting, if only for a few sophomoric laughs, especially when you have company and aren't on the road alone trying to entertain yourself during the long stretches between appointments.

Anyone that has traveled through PA, OH, VA, WV, NC and MD is probably familiar with a chain of gas station/convenience stores that are named Sheetz. Sheetz has a convenience store that prepares breakfast sandwiches, subs and a myriad of hot sandwiches and appetizers.

During the trip, we ended up on some lonely stretches of highway and unless we wanted to drift off into the hills and eat at Jethro's Roadkill Cafe, Sheetz was presenting the only civilized option. An option that we joked about for nearly two days before finally breaking down, stopping at a Sheetz and ordering a couple of sausage, egg and cheese breakfast items.

So, in the end, while we had to eat a few Sheetz sandwiches, but we also got an incredible collection!

Blog: www.justcollect.com/blog
email: scotta@justcollect.com
Old 05-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

Some of the best meals and service I've had have been at those jethroes roadkill café type places.

Just look for one that's got a bunch of pickups parked around it. Or, old cars that appear to be just old rustbuckets until someone starts it.

Best one?
Place that was built into what used to be the front porch of an old house, antlers and such on the outside walls, and a piece of plywood with just the word "food" spray painted on it.

Biggest menu I've ever seen. Most places have egg breakfasts, one egg, twe eggs, three eggs. Maybe the occasional one with a 4 egg breakfast. This place went up to a six egg breakfast.
I ordered the "big breakfast" described as "some of each"
The waitress seemed surprised,
"honey, it's a really big meal."
That's ok, sounds good.
It is, but.....It's REALLY big!
Sure, that's what I want!

All the big guys with flannel shirts seemed really amused.

I figured maybe three eggs, some ham, sausage, etc, some potato stuff, and maybe a pancake.

What came was several of those oval plates that are maybe 10 inches by 6-8 inches. Each one loaded with a menu item. Probably 4+ eggs, two big slices of ham, maybe 8 slices of bacon, Sausages, both patties and links, hash browns AND homefries, a plate of each! Three pancakes, a plate of French toast, and a big waffle I'm sure there was more.

I left several pounds heavier, and the flannel shirt crowd wasn't laughing, but they were smiling at having watched a "little" guy (at the time 5-11 and right around 200) finish it all.

It was all really good.

I did skip lunch at paintball that afternoon.

Another place I got a nice desert surprise. I said I couldn't decide between the apple or pecan pie both looked really good (they had them under glass on the main counter) and the waitress said she'd come back in a couple minutes. Sure did, bringing a bit more than a half slice of each along with ice cream! Problem solved

Steve B
Old 06-13-2016, 06:46 AM
Arnie

Do you come down to the Miami area regularly, say, once a year? I see you were down here recently.