NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default Offered sales after losing bid on ebay

Posted By: joe

I was the 2nd in line but lost the auction for a E210 Cobb on EBAY this week. As soon as the auction ended I got an email from another seller offering me another E210 Cobb in the same condition for about $100 less. Both of the cards were ex PSA 5. The sellers feedback was 100% satisfaction rating. I know EBAY has rules against this, but has anyone taken up offers like this? I didn't in this case.

Thanks joe

Old 05-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

I've received and declined similar offers in the past, but if the seller is legitimate he should be willing to list it on ebay just for you with a Buy-It-Now price equal to what he's asking plus the additional fees he'll incur by selling on ebay.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Good call Glenn. If the seller is legit then they would do exactly that or offer to ship it to you and then you could decide if you want it or not. If you didn't like the card then ship it back. If you like it then ship the seller the payment. You've got to figure that the seller initiated this offer.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

If you already have a previous relationship with the seller, I see no problem with buying directly. If one day I buy a card from a boardmember via eBay, that does not mean I'm forever precluded from buying anything from him except via eBay, forever...

So I'd contact him if you really wanted the card.

Or, if you feel bad about that, start carrying clean new uderwear with you whenever you drive somewhere, just in case you have a wreck.

Frank.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I would consider an offer if someone contacted me. I had some Rogers Peet cards and contacted an underbidder to potentially buy mine. I didn't really think about it breaking the rules or law I just had one to sell. The potential buyer was wary but not after we spoke on the phone for about 30 minutes. He got a good deal and I sold a card.....

Old 05-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot

Have him go through ebay. That's a very fair price for that card, IMO.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I've offered cards that way. I've got a feedback rating of 650 with something like 1,400 positives and 2 retaliatory negs. If a person feels that it isn't enough, they don't have to respond.

If the buyer demanded eBay, I would agree only if he paid the fees by tacking it into my BIN price. Am I somehow more trustworthy because I listed it on eBay? Really now. I already take PayPal, which should be plenty of protection for him (and money for eBay). As to breaking eBay's rules, they aren't "laws". I really don't have an issue with prospecting for buyers that way, whether I am the one doing the contacting or the one being contacted. If a potential buyer has such moral qualms about doing business that way, then don't.

But let's take it a step further. If I saw that a Net54 board member was underbidder on a card that I could offer for less and I contacted him via Microsoft Outlook on the Net54 board for a "direct" sale, am I now in violation of eBay's policy? If not, why not? Just because the means of contact wasn't eBay's message system? Without the ability to check the eBay bidding history, I would never have known what that member was willing to pay. I swear that sometimes people get downright pharisitical over petty "rules" that are virtually meaningless in the overall scheme of things.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 05-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot

Assuming he takes paypal...That will work as well. If you don't want it LMK. I'll buy it.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: William Brumbach

Make sure you are 100% certain that the second chance offer is coming directly from the original seller and not from some scammer. It is not an uncommon tactic for scammers to try to get underbidders to paypal or wire funds to an account using somebody else's legit auction as a front.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

That is a good point, Bill. A sly scam. And the scammer is playing into the underbidder's greed and loser's remorse. That is truly something to watch for.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Good result. An update on this post, the seller put the card on ebay with buy it now. I received the card today. Good service and included a cloth PSA holder. I posted a scan on May pickups.

Joe

Old 05-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Yes. Be very careful. I thought I was getting a Superman #3 on a second chance offer. The e-mail and all the correspondence appeared to be through E-bay. The guy convinced me to wire the money to him in Greece (he was supposed to be on a business trip and his wife was going to ship immediately upon receipt of the funds). The message guaranteed the transaction. The disclaimers looked legit and everything. Needless to say, I got toasted for quite a chunk of change. I was furious! It looked so legit. Anyway, I feel like such an idiot now. I filed a claim through E-bay. They said get lost. I filed something with the fraud department at the FBI. Nothing. Just be careful.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

My experience with second chance ebay offer:

I was sent an offer via myebay from a seller. The auction had ended shortly before that. I figured that for it to be in myebay it had to be legitimate, it was. The transaction went smoothly and feedback was left by the seller and myself.

I've had other "second chance" offers via email (not through ebay - many years ago when email addresses were relatively easy to get off of ebay) and I've ignored those offers.