NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Doug

Default OT~ USA vs Russia hockey game

OMG what a game. Don't know how many of you like hockey but Olympic hockey is the best. USA won in an awesome shootout. Mike Emrick could announce curling and get me excited.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Great game.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Shootout

Nice job by Oshie, but I don't like the International rules where the same guy keeps shooting. Give me Kane!!

Cheers,
Geno
Old 02-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
Nice job by Oshie, but I don't like the International rules where the same guy keeps shooting. Give me Kane!!

Cheers,
Geno
I agree, I'm surprised Parise didn't even get a shot.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

Incredible game.....and to do it on Russian ice. Phenominal.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default NHL rules

I love the NHL shootouts where you start getting the defensemen out there after about 9 shots. One day, I want to see the backup goalie going down the ice!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Brent

Usa!!! Usa!!! Usa!!!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Jimmy

Default OT~ USA vs Russia hockey game

Great game to watch, was up early to see most of it!

Jimmy
Old 02-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Jake Dahl

Just like 1980 USA wins again

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia
Old 02-15-2014, 11:47 AM
H Murphy

watched the whole game this morning and as predicted it was excellent. The large ice surface really allows for more wheeling and dealing but it appears team USA is built for just that. The medal rounds should be even better with the pressure all on the Russians. Canada looked a little flat but will have a say for sure, "do you believe in miracles" ?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Miracle??

I have to disagree with all the references to the Miracle Game in 1980. This was NOTHING like that. We had no chance in that game…it was like a college team playing the Stanley Cup Champions. The US had no business being in that game, let alone winning it, then following it up with another big win for the Gold against Finland. The Soviets had already won games by scores like 16-0 (I'm not kidding). Only a few of those American players went on to play in the NHL, Neal Broten being the most notable.

And by the way, that game was against the Soviet Union, which today today is Russia plus a bunch of other countries. It was the best hockey players from a huge swath of the Earth's surface, who played together as a professional team. It still boggles my mind we won that game. I was babysitting for my neighbor that day, watching by myself as the kid slept…I'll never forget it!

Today's game was more like an NHL All-Star game. Awesome to watch, and a great win…but no miracle.

Cheers,
Geno

Last edited by HercDriver; 02-15-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I have to disagree with all the references to the Miracle Game in 1980. This was NOTHING like that. We had no chance in that game…it was like a college team playing the Stanley Cup Champions. The US had no business being in that game, let alone winning it, then following it up with another big win for the Gold against Finland. The Soviets had already won games by scores like 16-0 (I'm not kidding). Only a few of those American players went on to play in the NHL, Neal Broten being the most notable.

And by the way, that game was against the Soviet Union, which today today is Russia plus a bunch of other countries. It was the best hockey players from a huge swath of the Earth's surface, who played together as a professional team. It still boggles my mind we won that game. I was babysitting for my neighbor that day, watching by myself as the kid slept…I'll never forget it!

Today's game was more like an NHL All-Star game. Awesome to watch, and a great win…but no miracle.

Cheers,
Geno
I agree. Great game but nothing like the 1980 contest. It's also worth noting that the Russians may well have won the game had they not had a goal disallowed on a technicality.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Pete Sycks

Minnesota has the most players on its roster including Oshie. State of hockey is representing. Love it how they kept throwing him out there time after time.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
I agree. Great game but nothing like the 1980 contest. It's also worth noting that the Russians may well have won the game had they not had a goal disallowed on a technicality.
This was a great game, but the 1980 game was an event. As a previous poster pointed out, we were way overmatched against the Soviets.
And the political climate made it even bigger. The Soviet Union was our enemy at that time.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Minnesota has the most players on its roster including Oshie. State of hockey is representing. Love it how they kept throwing him out there time after time.
Hey Pete, I don't know if you go back to the 1980 game, but Minnesota was represented then as well.
Nine of the 20 players played at the University of Minnesota:
Two more played at the U of Minnesota Duluth:
A 12th had played high school hockey in Minnesota, but went to the U of North Dakota;
and of course the coach, Herb Brooks, coached at the University of Minnesota.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Pete Sycks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Hey Pete, I don't know if you go back to the 1980 game, but Minnesota was represented then as well.
Nine of the 20 players played at the University of Minnesota:
Two more played at the U of Minnesota Duluth:
A 12th had played high school hockey in Minnesota, but went to the U of North Dakota;
and of course the coach, Herb Brooks, coached at the University of Minnesota.
Oh I remember. Big win

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 02-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Joe Maus

I was 10 and playing hockey when USA won the gold medal in 1980. I will never forget it.

1909-11 E264 Colgan’s Chips 15/226

1910-12 P2 Sweat Caporal PSA Pins 140/204
Old 02-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Mike

It's nice to see the U.S.A play Russia with pros on both team, not like in 1980. We one anyway. Go U.S.A.
Mike
Old 02-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Jeff Lowe

I never liked the shoot out in the International Game . 16 shots and only a handful of the Worlds best players shooting . UGH @!!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:25 PM

Default follow up to Geno Wagner

Don't know if you know---most do not, that just a short time before the Olympics, we played the Russian Machine in a "friendly" and lost 9-0!! This was truly the "miracle", and even if we can win a Gold this time, it doesn't come close to what those KIDS did......Brooks was a genius!!

By the way, as a reminder again, it wasn't even the gold medal game; We had to come from behind to Beat Finland for the Gold. I think the only example to compare might be David vs. Goliath!!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Sebastian

Holy Oshie amirite?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Bruce C@rter

The 1980 game was special on many levels. Not only the disparity in the players but it was right in the middle of the cold war and tensions where very high. The US was also in the middle of a recession with a huge gas shortage and long lines for gas. The mood of the country was very depressed. The Miracle game was a shot in the arm that brought the country together in a very uplifting mood. If for just a short time it made us feel great.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Ke.n K0hen

What a different world we live in today! NOBODY, save those who attended, saw the 1980 game live as it was televised on delay.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:29 PM

Default no one watched it live

but 40,000,000 were there in person!!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:

Cheers,
Geno
I agree that this is nothing like the 1980 game where a group of college players and college graduates played what was essentially a professional team (Soviet Red Army). This game was just another game of NHL All Stars from one country playing the NHL and International All Stars from another country. A good game, but not the overhyped bull fed by the knuckleheads at NBC.

Oshie was picked to be the shooter after the first three shots as he leads the NHL in shootout goals this year with 7. His varied shot selection is what got him chosen.

I would guess that most people here are not hardcore Olympic fans. I happen to be one. Not just every two years, but every day, every year there is something Olympic related for me. This happens to be the FOURTH time that the United States and Russia have met in Olympic ice hockey competition since Russia or the Russian Federation reentered the Olympic Family as a separate nation. 1994 was the first time they competed as a nation since last competing in the 1924 Summer Games in Paris.

The U.S. lost to Russia 5-4 on February 21, 2006 during the Torino Olympics. The U.S. team included: Doug Weight, Keith Tkaczuk, Mike Modano, Bred Hedican (Mr. Kristi Yamaguchi), Bill Guerin and Chris Chelios. The Russian team included: Darius Kasparaitis, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Yashin, Zhukov and Kozlov.

During the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City the two teams tied 2-2 on February 16 and the U.S. beat Russia 3-2 in the Semi Finals on February 22. The U.S. team included: Tony Amonte, Tom Barrasso, Chris Chelios, Roenick, Hull, Leetch, LeClair, Dunham and Guerin. The Russian team included: The Bure Brothers, Fyodorov (improperly translated as Federov), Kasparaitis, Khababulin, Kovalchuk, Yashin and Samsonov.

These stats do not include the game they played against the Unified Team, technically Russia, on February 1, 1992 during the Alberville Olympics. The Unified Team beat the U.S. 5-2 in the Semi-Finals.

Geno, I completely disagree with your statement that Neal Broten was the most notable player to come out of the 1980 Squad. Ken Morrow-4 Stanley Cups, U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame. Broten - 1 Stanley Cup, U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”