NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-03-2023, 08:21 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Hi Rob, I saw that pin the one you are talking about,if it was this one I believe the person got screwed. I believe that someone took an easel back out of another cheaper pin (easy to do) from a later era and put it in that pin. That easel back you show isnot the correct on for that pin. Also that pin is a much later pin made I believe in the late 70s or 80s. I own this pin and here is the correct easel back that came with it... As to your question the earliest I have seen this easel back you show is around 1960... It is also the same easel back that is on the large mantle maris ruth shooting for 61 in 61 pin.. so that would at least show it was around 1961.....
Great info, Al!

So, to be clear, you also own this pin (with the correct back) but it was made long after the Dodgers left Ebbets? Is this pin a copy of an actual 6” pin that did exist back in the Ebbets era?
Old 12-03-2023, 10:28 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Great info, Al!

So, to be clear, you also own this pin (with the correct back) but it was made long after the Dodgers left Ebbets? Is this pin a copy of an actual 6” pin that did exist back in the Ebbets era?
Rob yes that is my pin with the correct back. And yes it was made long after the dodgers left Ebbets.20 to 30 years after. But as for an actual copy I myself have never seen a real one of this pin so as for an actual copy I believe this pin is a real later made lets call it a fantasy or later made dodger pin... there is also a smaller 2 1/4 inch same size one.. I also have it and is the same made in the 70s or early 80s...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 12-03-2023, 10:33 PM
Al

Here is the other smaller one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a brooklyn 2.jpg (82.1 KB, 614 views)

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 12-04-2023, 10:46 AM
Rob

Quote:
Rob yes that is my pin with the correct back. And yes it was made long after the dodgers left Ebbets.20 to 30 years after. But as for an actual copy I myself have never seen a real one of this pin so as for an actual copy I believe this pin is a real later made lets call it a fantasy or later made dodger pin... there is also a smaller 2 1/4 inch same size one.. I also have it and is the same made in the 70s or early 80s...
OK….just to get one last kick in on this dead horse…in your expert opinion, these pins were never made in the Ebbets era? They never looked 1950’s vintage to me…
Old 12-04-2023, 02:26 PM
Al

Quote:
OK….just to get one last kick in on this dead horse…in your expert opinion, these pins were never made in the Ebbets era? They never looked 1950’s vintage to me…
That would be correct... The horses are all dead and to be clear we didnt injure any horses in the making of this post....

Old 12-09-2023, 10:09 AM
Scott M.

Default Luxello Cigar Bands

Was lucky enough to pick up a Luxello pin a year or two back for my Phillies/A's type collection that I've posted here previously.

Here are some Luxello Cigar bands that I was happy to pick up a few months ago to go along with the pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Luxello_Cigar_Bands.jpg (193.8 KB, 572 views)
Old 12-09-2023, 10:09 AM
Scott M.

Default Luxello Cigar Bands

Double post

Last edited by phlflyer1; 12-09-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlflyer1 View Post
Was lucky enough to pick up a Luxello pin a year or two back for my Phillies/A's type collection that I've posted here previously.

Here are some Luxello Cigar bands that I was happy to pick up a few months ago to go along with the pin.
I don't remember seeing the pin. Can you post it again?
Old 12-09-2023, 06:45 PM

Hi all..... I just picked up this pin and I was hoping someone would know the approximate value. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance .... Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 399925665_797005485518932_9160913184671712136_n.jpg (7.3 KB, 535 views)
Old 12-09-2023, 07:04 PM
Scott M.

Quote:
I don't remember seeing the pin. Can you post it again?
Hi Rob,

Its back on page 13 of this thread but I certainly don't mind reposting it.

Judging from the fact that the Barry pin wasn't one of the 22 examples from the Paul Muchinsky collection that sold in a past Hakes auction, I would guess that it might be a slightly tougher common from the set.

That being said, any Luxello pin can be considered tough as they don't come around that often.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P13_Luxello_Barry_Front.jpg (77.6 KB, 546 views)
Old 12-10-2023, 06:16 AM

Old 12-10-2023, 09:33 AM
Rob

Quote:
Hi Rob,

Its back on page 13 of this thread but I certainly don't mind reposting it.

Judging from the fact that the Barry pin wasn't one of the 22 examples from the Paul Muchinsky collection that sold in a past Hakes auction, I would guess that it might be a slightly tougher common from the set.

That being said, any Luxello pin can be considered tough as they don't come around that often.

Scott
That's a beauty! The detail is much better than your average PM-10 that came along later.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:19 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Hi Rob, Its back on page 13 of this thread but I certainly don't mind reposting it. Judging from the fact that the Barry pin wasn't one of the 22 examples from the Paul Muchinsky collection that sold in a past Hakes auction, I would guess that it might be a slightly tougher common from the set. That being said, any Luxello pin can be considered tough as they don't come around that often. Scott
That's a beauty! What do they go for, give or take? I love pins, they're so undervalued compared to cards, IMO.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:26 PM
Scott M.

Thanks Rob and Hank,

The Luxello P13s are definitely a beautiful set. When I acquired my type example, I was surprised to find that they are a bit smaller than I expected. Definitely a bit smaller that P2s and other pins from the era but they are wonderfully detailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
That's a beauty! What do they go for, give or take? I love pins, they're so undervalued compared to cards, IMO.
The Hakes auction that I referenced where Dr. Muchinskys collection of 22 P13s was sold happened just two years ago so the prices in the link below are pretty recent. Look at the listings starting with item #888.

You can expect to pay at least $200-300 for a type example as you can see.

https://hakes.com/Auction/PricesReal...owsPerPage=ALL
Old 12-10-2023, 07:38 PM
Jim Reynolds

Stopped by one of my favorite antique stores today 20 minutes before they closed and was able to walk away with this vintage beauty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5216.jpg (168.8 KB, 551 views)

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 12-10-2023 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 07:59 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just a heads-up that the latest TSOG episode features Pinback Buttons of Mickey Mantle. None of the uber-expensive super rare ones that sell for 4 figures... but a pretty decent array, none-the-less.

Here's the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2nTgCAVflU

Hope you enjoy and thanks for watching!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 12-21-2023, 05:07 AM
Jim Caravello

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Just a heads-up that the latest TSOG episode features Pinback Buttons of Mickey Mantle. None of the uber-expensive super rare ones that sell for 4 figures... but a pretty decent array, none-the-less.

Here's the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2nTgCAVflU

Hope you enjoy and thanks for watching!
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing! Love my Mantle pins and as he says in the video, its a great way to collect Mantle without breaking the bank.....

I don't really collect the 2-1/4" PM 10 pins ( have a few ), so don't have that Mantle....and don't have the rare, super expensive ones.....have the others shown, recently obtaining the tougher early pin up in the left hand corner of that display case.....This is my favorite of his though from that era....tougher to find and just love the blue background....

Last edited by JimmyC; 12-21-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2023, 12:37 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing! Love my Mantle pins and as he says in the video, its a great way to collect Mantle without breaking the bank.....

I don't really collect the 2-1/4" PM 10 pins ( have a few ), so don't have that Mantle....and don't have the rare, super expensive ones.....have the others shown, recently obtaining the tougher early pin up in the left hand corner of that display case.....This is my favorite of his though from that era....tougher to find and just love the blue background....

I have only one but I love my Mickey pin too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5331.jpg (90.7 KB, 485 views)
Old 12-21-2023, 02:14 PM
Jim Caravello

Sweet Mantle!
Old 12-22-2023, 01:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Recent pick-up:

Available for sale or trade.

From my collection:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-23-2023, 07:42 AM
Al

Guys Im putting this here as more might see it ..its also in the BST section. Looking to try and put some of these sets to bed. Here is who I need .. I used the robin roberts yellow basepath as a reference the list is who Im looking for.. Any help would be fantastic.. Thanks in advance. Buy / Trade/ What ever you prefer.. Thanks in advance.. Just PM me....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a braves.jpg (13.8 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg a expos0001.jpg (17.8 KB, 460 views)
File Type: jpg a expos1.jpg (16.0 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg a yellow basepath.jpg (19.8 KB, 456 views)

Old 12-24-2023, 10:43 AM
Rob

Quote:
Guys Im putting this here as more might see it ..its also in the BST section. Looking to try and put some of these sets to bed. Here is who I need .. I used the robin roberts yellow basepath as a reference the list is who Im looking for.. Any help would be fantastic.. Thanks in advance. Buy / Trade/ What ever you prefer.. Thanks in advance.. Just PM me....
If any of those top three miraculously turned up on ebay, would you have stiff competition? Or are they rare yet not especially sought after?
Old 12-24-2023, 01:35 PM
Jim Reynolds

That feeling when you think that you’ve stumbled upon some rare pinback in an antique store, only to find it readily available online for less than half what the antique store is asking for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5357.jpg (174.0 KB, 451 views)
Old 12-24-2023, 04:57 PM
Al

Quote:
If any of those top three miraculously turned up on ebay, would you have stiff competition? Or are they rare yet not especially sought after?
Rob hard question.. Some of the others in those sets are harder to find. Sought after probably but I would say these are the guys I need. I know others who need different ones. So as a collector these are the guys I need ....

Old 12-27-2023, 01:44 PM
Gary

I finally got delivery of a few pins that I've been waiting for.

The Banks is pretty rare but the 2 smaller ones are PM6 pins and I'd call them truly rare. I managed to pick up a NM PM6 Grover Alexander in 2021. It's taken me 2 1/2 years to get another PM6. (I did find another one on eBay in 2021 but I stupidly didn't get it.)

The Speaker and Hornsby aren't mint but they're so hard to find, I was really happy to get them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231227_164728.jpg (184.5 KB, 416 views)
Old 12-27-2023, 09:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The Banks is a beautiful design and image.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-29-2023, 04:14 PM
Jim Caravello

Congrats! I am still missing the Banks and it’s on my want list - love the design on that pin…the Hornsby and speaker are really cool - you don’t see those very often….

Last edited by JimmyC; 12-29-2023 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 03:41 PM
Al

OK just putting a little life in the post... Always loved these crossed bats versions made by the midwest badge company.. always working on mine ..if someone has any reach out... I know my friend Mike K does! Showem Mike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crossbats.jpg (171.2 KB, 306 views)

Old 01-23-2024, 06:06 PM

1942 and 1943 NY Yankees World Series press pins. Always liked this respectfully simple and understated WWII pin design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8689.jpg (213.4 KB, 305 views)
Old 01-23-2024, 06:29 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
OK just putting a little life in the post... Always loved these crossed bats versions made by the midwest badge company.. always working on mine ..if someone has any reach out... I know my friend Mike K does! Showem Mike!
Here you go Al.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0721.jpg (201.5 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0720.jpg (207.8 KB, 296 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 01-23-2024, 09:50 PM
Al

Thanks Mike love them! So nice to see them again!

Old 01-24-2024, 05:56 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Here you go Al.
It blows my mind you found all those. It took me years to find the ONE I was after.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:15 AM
Al

Quote:
It blows my mind you found all those. It took me years to find the ONE I was after.
Let me guess Rob the Dodgers one!

Old 01-24-2024, 06:30 AM
Al

Thanks for posting mike looks like I have one that you dont... and you have 8or9 I need! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crossed bats 1.jpg (188.6 KB, 285 views)

Old 01-24-2024, 12:35 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Thanks for posting mike looks like I have one that you dont... and you have 8or9 I need! LOL
Yes Al, that Cleveland one has eluded me. The Pittsburgh variations are a huge mystery. I’m pretty sure these pins were distributed locally in the Minneapolis area in 1962. Why then were two versions made? I also know there are two kinds of pins on the back: spring pin and the attached pin version. Do the Pirates pins have these two different pins?
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 01-24-2024, 12:45 PM
Al

Quote:
Yes Al, that Cleveland one has eluded me. The Pittsburgh variations are a huge mystery. I’m pretty sure these pins were distributed locally in the Minneapolis area in 1962. Why then were two versions made? I also know there are two kinds of pins on the back: spring pin and the attached pin version. Do the Pirates pins have these two different pins?
Mike both my pirates are the straight pin version. If you look on the other post my White sox is the bayonette back style of pin. picture is there... Love these pins..

Old 01-24-2024, 01:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I'm guessing they simply produced the mis-spelled "Pittsburg" version before catching their mistake... and then substituted the corrected "Pittsburgh" version.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 01-24-2024, 02:59 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I'm guessing they simply produced the mis-spelled "Pittsburg" version before catching their mistake... and then substituted the corrected "Pittsburgh" version.
Mark my thought also...

Old 01-27-2024, 07:13 PM
Rob

Pretty strong price realized on the ‘bay tonight.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:33 AM
Al

Quote:
Pretty strong price realized on the ‘bay tonight.
If we are talking about the Brooksie pin Rare pieces command good prices. The last one in Hakes went for 2600.. So kinda right in line. Good thing you collect giants Rob some of those oriole pins are near next to impossible to find..

Old 01-28-2024, 08:38 AM
Rob

Quote:
If we are talking about the Brooksie pin Rare pieces command good prices. The last one in Hakes went for 2600.. So kinda right in line. Good thing you collect giants Rob some of those oriole pins are near next to impossible to find..
I think the seller was most likely pleasantly shocked.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:18 AM
Jim Caravello

Would have been my pin if I collected that era - very rare - hard to find....
Old 01-30-2024, 05:40 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson PM10

I dropped out at around 1200 on the Brooks PM10 pin. Thought it would go for about the same as the example in the Hakes auction, but thought I'd at least bid. The one in REA sold for around 3000 if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone know who picked up this example?
Old 01-31-2024, 06:48 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I dropped out at around 1200 on the Brooks PM10 pin. Thought it would go for about the same as the example in the Hakes auction, but thought I'd at least bid. The one in REA sold for around 3000 if I'm not mistaken.

Anyone know who picked up this example?
Hi Mark 2640 with juice to be exact....

Old 01-31-2024, 08:27 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Hi Mark 2640 with juice to be exact....
The PM pin doesn’t come up for sale often and that’s a steep price for a pin, but I guess that’s around the going rate now.

Now someone get me that PM10 pin with the rookie pose…
Old 02-11-2024, 10:24 AM
Rob

Hey AL - did other teams do these larger (3.5") crossed bat variations or just the Giants?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-05-24 01.56.12.jpg (124.0 KB, 134 views)
Old 02-11-2024, 09:30 PM
Al

Quote:
Hey AL - did other teams do these larger (3.5") crossed bat variations or just the Giants?
Rob in this very small style at the bottom I would say the giants are the only ones I know but there are 3 1/4 go go white sox a chicago white sox 2 different color LA Dodgers and an angles That I know of. They are all the same style of the 1 1/4s and 1 3/4s

Old 02-12-2024, 05:50 AM
Rob

Quote:
Rob in this very small style at the bottom I would say the giants are the only ones I know but there are 3 1/4 go go white sox a chicago white sox 2 different color LA Dodgers and an angles That I know of. They are all the same style of the 1 1/4s and 1 3/4s
Thanks, Al. I’ll have to see if I can find pictures…
Old 02-15-2024, 07:38 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Here's a Bill Gallo creation (New York Daily News) of Willie!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Mays Button.jpeg (22.2 KB, 87 views)
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:04 PM
Jim Reynolds

My Google-fu must be weak tonight. Somebody please tell me what set this is from? Blank backed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6197.jpeg (100.5 KB, 44 views)