NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Kory Kasler

Default Is it just me, or is this eBay seller pumping out fake '52 Bowmans?

I'm working on putting together the 1952 Bowman set, and I came across this seller on eBay who seems to have quite a few almost brand new looking '52 Bowman cards listed. As I zoom in on the scan, the printing pattern appears to be much different than original '52 Bowmans I currently have. My first thought was that it might just be the scanner they are using, but I've never known a scanner to make huge rosettes appear in the printed area.

Does this look fishy at all to anyone else?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-BOWMAN-...-/191467139772

Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2015, 11:17 AM
Jason Albregts

My personal opinion is that they are good. My scanner will leave those rosettes like that from time to time. Those patented Bowman stains on the back would be very hard to recreate. Even stains have a certain look
Old 01-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Tom

If they are fakes, they are very realistic! Also, why would anyone want to reproduce low value commons?
Old 01-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Frank Hay-zer

They look real enough for me to bid.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:25 PM
David M.

They look real to me. I haven't seen anyone fake the staining from being in the pack as shows on the back of these cards.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:29 PM
Steve

They certainly look legit to me. I spent several minutes zooming and closely examining, but I can't find the "much different" printing pattern that you mention, and, maybe I'm going blind, but can't see the "rosettes" either. What differences are you seeing, and where are the rosettes?
Old 01-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Tom

Perhaps the 1952 Bowmans you already have are fake and these are real, thus the contrast?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Kory Kasler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
If they are fakes, they are very realistic! Also, why would anyone want to reproduce low value commons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
Perhaps the 1952 Bowmans you already have are fake and these are real, thus the contrast?
I would highly doubt that out of the 80 or so cards I have acquired out of the set, including PSA and SGC graded examples, that the contrast is due to a collection of fakes on my end. Would be quite a feat to buy 80 counterfeit cards from a variety of sellers and end up with a collection of nothing but fakes.

I questioned the reasoning behind someone reproducing low-value cards, but I was unsure, simply because there were a number of high-numbers in their offerings, and I wasn't sure.

What really threw me off and had me questioning were the large rosettes that appeared in the photos. Not a single '52 Bowman I've ever seen has shown those printing patterns - but it's looking like those are a result of an odd scanning phenomenon rather than counterfeit printing.

The staining on the back is what has sold them on my end - as others have said, it would be a little more of a challenge (though not impossible) to reproduce the staining on the back of the cards that Bowman's are famous for.....so I'm convinced they are in fact real.

Can't blame a guy for being a little overly cautious though, right?