NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-03-2018, 11:10 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default Speaking of wives...Mel Ott??

I know of the clubhouse signatures on Giants team signed balls of the period, but is anyone aware of whether or not Mel Ott's wife is a known ghost signer. I won one of the lots from the Ott Estate and one of the photos has his signature on the back. It was either him or her who put it there and it looks like him. Just not sure if she was adept at it as well.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:57 AM
ThreadKiller

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I know of the clubhouse signatures on Giants team signed balls of the period, but is anyone aware of whether or not Mel Ott's wife is a known ghost signer. I won one of the lots from the Ott Estate and one of the photos has his signature on the back. It was either him or her who put it there and it looks like him. Just not sure if she was adept at it as well.
NOT an Ott (or any other) auto expert, but pictures wouldn't suck...perhaps you might get a competent reply from others w/a posted image...

not being a d**k, but...
Old 09-07-2018, 05:11 AM
Scott Russell

Except he was just asking if Ott's wife is a known ghost. That should be answerable (by someone a lot more knowledgeable than me) without seeing anything.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-07-2018, 07:18 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Here is an image.

To me it looks very good. Again, it comes from his estate. My only question is whether his wife ghost signed for him at all and just how good at it was she if she did?

This is written more as an identification of who is on the photo on the front (Mel Ott) as it is attached to another similar photo where that person's first name (Zeke) is put at the top of the back of the photo, either by Ott or his wife, identifying who is pictured on that one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by btcarfagno; 09-07-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:47 AM
David Linardy

Not sure if Mel’s wife signed for him... i do know that she would clip his sig from canceled checks to accomodate requests after his death... i dont believe that this is mel’s hand... looks like a press photo. It was common of photographers and or newspaper workers to write the names of subjects on the reverse of photos so that they could be accurately portrayed in print.

I hope this helps,
DaveQUOTE=btcarfagno;1810887]Here is an image.

To me it looks very good. Again, it comes from his estate. My only question is whether his wife ghost signed for him at all and just how good at it was she if she did?

This is written more as an identification of who is on the photo on the front (Mel Ott) as it is attached to another similar photo where that person's first name (Zeke) is put at the top of the back of the photo, either by Ott or his wife, identifying who is pictured on that one.

Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-07-2018, 08:12 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

My quibble with that would be that this comes from Ott's estate, that his name is written in full while Bonura's name is just the more familiar "Zeke" with no last name written (as if written by a friend...not a photographer), and the formation of the letter "O" is so unusual...who else writes a capital "O" like that?

Last edited by btcarfagno; 09-07-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Belltown Vintage

That doesn't look like his typical signature, either for documents or for autograph signing. But I agree that it's strange that it would be done in cursive and the other name look different. I would look for other examples with that kind of loop in the 'O', the different arm to the 'M' and the different right-hand side of the 'M', especially on signed documents. I looked around for a short time and didn't see anything.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:14 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

It looks similar, but with some differences,
Here are two of mine for comparison

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-07-2018, 02:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Whoever wrote on that photo did in fact spell 'Mel Ott' correctly.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:38 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Yeah I'm thinking you guys are right. This is a bit more like what his signature on a baseball tends to look like, not a flat. I was confusing the two. The sloped and sharp-at-the-top second hump in the letter "M" is very consistent with Ott on flats.

Wishful thinking on my part I suppose.