NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Signed 1955 Topps All American Football Question

Any collectors of signed 1955 Topps All American Football out there? A question if you would:
What is the possibility of obtaining the following cards signed and at what cost?

Bruce Smith
Davey O'Brien
Tom Harmon
Frank Sinkwich

I know they all died well after the set came out but have not seen any examples for sale. I would just like to know if it's worth even TRYING to attempt getting these 4.

Thanks in advance,
Tony
Old 06-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I would probably go to the Collector's Universe thread for Football Hall of Fame autographs. I never contribute, but love reading the information they have.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 06-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Tony Quinn

Just tried it, no info pertaining to my question.
Thanks anyways!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Jose Tijero had a never ending supply of 1955 signed AA's for sale including Smith, O'Brien, and Sinkwich. I called his bluff on the board last year and he disappeared. I have never seen a genuine Smith or O'Brien, but I recall a Tom Harmon quite a while ago. Have to believe Sinkwich is out there, but I don't remember seeing one. I collect them myself. Jason
Old 06-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Tony Quinn

A member contacted me directly and says he has a Sinkwich. So that's 2 out of 4. I wonder why they are so tough? Smith died in '67 so that's 12 years, O'Brien in '77, that's 22 years and Sinkwich and Harmon in '90, that's 35 years. Did they not like to sign in general or didn't like the card itself? Considering the availability of other guys in the set, I would have figured these 4 guys wouldn't be THAT tough.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 AM
C00per

Default 55's

I collect them as well and have seen a Sinkwich a few years back and it brought big money. I started making my own All Americans for guys that came after 55 and even with todays technology and forums alot of these guys are hard to find. I can't imagine how hard it was in the 70's.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

My guess for why so difficult is that there was just no demand and not much interest back then. If you didn't have a 55 AA to send them, you would just send a 3x5. All four of those guys are tough signatures even on 3x5's, but obviously Sinkwich and Harmon are much easier than O'Brien and Smith. I love that set. I wish more of the guys were available. I only started it within the last 10-15 years and I refuse to pay some of the ridiculous prices that some are getting. I don't fault people for it, just don't want it bad enough
Old 06-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Back in the mid to late 1980's I was writing all of the Heisman winners. At the time Sinkwich was said to be very tough. He responded very quickly signing 3 index cards. Harmon was the same way. I believe every single winner up through 1979 except Plunkett answered. I didn't write Rodgers or Cappelletti at the time.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 06-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Charlie

Smith and O'Brien are the more difficult of your group. In fact almost anything signed by them is $$$$.
I have seen several Harmon's offered over the past 2-3 years so I think they are around. Sinkwich is also quite difficult but one comes up every now and then.
You can try Ron Gordon for some of these, I know he had some in the past.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 PM

Unlike Baseball players who hung around the game for years, College Football stars quickly faded into obscurity and basically nobody cared. Also (unlike Baseball) nobody knew where these guys were for years as most just had normal jobs and lived normal lives. Even though they lived a long time, nobody on a national scale knew where to find them. It is a vey similar case to Negro Leaguers.

Never seen an authentic Smith or O'Brien. I have seen one Sinkwich and two Harmons in 15 years of caring about their autographs.

Rhys
Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 AM
Tony Quinn

Thanks for all the insight guys. I guess I can just about give up any prospects of picking up those 4! Good to know the facts right up front.