NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2019, 09:16 PM
Robert Williams

Default Restoration gone bad!!! 1933 Sport Kings Jim Thrope!

This guy cracked out a 1933 Sport Kings JIM THORPE card!! Then apparently "erased" the yellow in an attempt to get a wrinkle out. Now he can't get it back in the holder. Sometimes you should just leave well enough alone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Sport-Kings-Thorpe-6/273992545231?hash=item3fcb3a73cf:gSgAAOSwI2NdUsW P
Old 09-04-2019, 09:55 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

By posting the before and after pictures of this card, it just goes to show you this individual has NO BRAIN!
Old 09-05-2019, 01:36 AM
Dave Foster

And only $250 for a doctored card?? Quick. Gimme a dozen.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:08 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
By posting the before and after pictures of this card, it just goes to show you this individual has NO BRAIN!
Well....he wanted to prove that it was an SGC 4. But the eraser mark he is showing DOES NOT appear to be in the SGC holdered one.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:45 AM
qualitycards

The "before" card in the SGC slab looks fine
why the need to crack & erase?
Old 09-05-2019, 06:12 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
One word... Greed...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:20 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
One word... Greed...
Bingo.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
One word... Greed...
A second word - dumbassery.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 09-05-2019, 06:58 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

That card sold back in June for $1250. That’s one way to lose $1k.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:15 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Restoration can be a terrible mistake. I had a tooth that had turned gray from a root canal. My dentist said, "Just get it whitened. What could go wrong?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tooth.jpg (35.2 KB, 615 views)
Old 09-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Scott Russell

Root Canals are the biggest scam in dentistry. Often the problem can be cleared up with antibiotics, and even a successful root canal isn't a permanent solution and often needs to be repeated later. It would be cheaper to get an implant the first time and be done with it. Your dentist killed the tooth and the recommended you get it whitened, that's insanity. The tooth is dead, not dirty.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-05-2019, 08:32 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Root Canals are the biggest scam in dentistry. Often the problem can be cleared up with antibiotics, and even a successful root canal isn't a permanent solution and often needs to be repeated later. It would be cheaper to get an implant the first time and be done with it. Your dentist killed the tooth and the recommended you get it whitened, that's insanity. The tooth is dead, not dirty.
SERIOUSLY????? You've been watching too many netflix "documentaries!"

While I agree with some points you made...Teeth with irreversible pulpitis/necrosis cannot be healed with antibiotics.

Last edited by ullmandds; 09-05-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Scam?? Not even really worth a response... Educate yourself before making statements like this.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

I always knew Ullman was a scam artist. No doubt funding his collection from kickbacks from endodontists.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:13 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I always knew Ullman was a scam artist. No doubt funding his collection from kickbacks from endodontists.
you got me!
Old 09-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Scott S

Sounds like a statement by an anti-Dentite!

(Seinfeld references still the way to go around here??)
Old 09-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
SERIOUSLY????? You've been watching too many netflix "documentaries!"

While I agree with some points you made...Teeth with irreversible pulpitis/necrosis cannot be healed with antibiotics.
Not from documentaries, not a conspiracy theorist, Talking from personal experience. Lots of root canals are performed unnecessarily for infections. My wife was in pain and our benefits didn't kick in for another 2 weeks. The dentist scheduled a root canal for 2 weeks later and gave her a prescription for antibiotics in the meantime. Lo and behold 2 years later she still hasn't had the root canal. That seems unnecessary to me. Then I read up on it, (reliable sources, not conspiracy wonks) and lots of dentists do root canals at the drop of a hat because it pays well AND virtually insures a return visit. There are situations like the one you described where a root canal is a valid treatment. I still maintain you'd be better off getting an extraction and an implant. Solves the problem permanently instead of putting a band-aid on it.

Like anything else I'm not saying all dentists are irresponsible, but the one in the post about the now-missing tooth certainly seems like one who is.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...tistry/586039/
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-05-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Not from documentaries, not a conspiracy theorist, Talking from personal experience. Lots of root canals are performed unnecessarily for infections. My wife was in pain and our benefits didn't kick in for another 2 weeks. The dentist scheduled a root canal for 2 weeks later and gave her a prescription for antibiotics in the meantime. Lo and behold 2 years later she still hasn't had the root canal. That seems unnecessary to me. Then I read up on it, (reliable sources, not conspiracy wonks) and lots of dentists do root canals at the drop of a hat because it pays well AND virtually insures a return visit. There are situations like the one you described where a root canal is a valid treatment. I still maintain you'd be better off getting an extraction and an implant. Solves the problem permanently instead of putting a band-aid on it.

Like anything else I'm not saying all dentists are irresponsible, but the one in the post about the now-missing tooth certainly seems like one who is.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...tistry/586039/
So you’re basing your statements off a single experience your wife had and a photo a board member posted? I’m not going to argue with you on this subject, because to be frank, you’re probably not qualified to give an accurate assessment on anything dental related.

Scam? Maybe you’re going to the wrong dentist. My 25+ years in practice tell me otherwise.

Last edited by docpatlv; 09-05-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:15 AM
Scott Russell

Maybe Scam was harsh, but did you read the article I linked? My wife's situation led me to try and research. The dearth of peer reviewed information on many dental procedures is appalling. I am certainly unqualified to perform dentistry, I am not unqualified to read material from good sources and draw conclusions of my own.

"The Cochrane organization, a highly respected arbiter of evidence-based medicine, has conducted systematic reviews of oral-health studies since 1999. In these reviews, researchers analyze the scientific literature on a particular dental intervention, focusing on the most rigorous and well-designed studies. In some cases, the findings clearly justify a given procedure. For example, dental sealants—liquid plastics painted onto the pits and grooves of teeth like nail polish—reduce tooth decay in children and have no known risks. (Despite this, they are not widely used, possibly because they are too simple and inexpensive to earn dentists much money.) But most of the Cochrane reviews reach one of two disheartening conclusions: Either the available evidence fails to confirm the purported benefits of a given dental intervention, or there is simply not enough research to say anything substantive one way or another."

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-05-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Maybe Scam was harsh, but did you read the article I linked? My wife's situation led me to try and research. The dearth of peer reviewed information on many dental procedures is appalling. I am certainly unqualified to perform dentistry, I am not unqualified to read material from good sources and draw conclusions of my own.

"The Cochrane organization, a highly respected arbiter of evidence-based medicine, has conducted systematic reviews of oral-health studies since 1999. In these reviews, researchers analyze the scientific literature on a particular dental intervention, focusing on the most rigorous and well-designed studies. In some cases, the findings clearly justify a given procedure. For example, dental sealants—liquid plastics painted onto the pits and grooves of teeth like nail polish—reduce tooth decay in children and have no known risks. (Despite this, they are not widely used, possibly because they are too simple and inexpensive to earn dentists much money.) But most of the Cochrane reviews reach one of two disheartening conclusions: Either the available evidence fails to confirm the purported benefits of a given dental intervention, or there is simply not enough research to say anything substantive one way or another."
Last comment on this. In dentistry, just like in the world of sports card/memorabilia auction houses, there’s good ones and bad ones. Just try not to paint with such a broad brush.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:39 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
you got me!
Doctoring teeth is a gateway to doctoring cards.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Scott Russell

I backed down twice on that score, saying "Like anything else I'm not saying all dentists are irresponsible" and "Maybe Scam was harsh"

I was going to make the same comparison but in a different way. If you said "Man there's a lot of unethical auction houses that run scams on their customers" I'd have to agree.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Thought I would be the one to rise out of the dental canal that has become the root of this thread.

Once I get these two glued to each other perhaps I can send it in to this seller so that he can remove the pesky George Connally at the top.

Brian (First is the before scan, second is the during scan)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sportkingsthorpe763.jpg (79.7 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg sportkingsthorpenstein762.jpg (75.1 KB, 332 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 09-05-2019 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added before scan to during scan
Old 09-05-2019, 11:21 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Guys, can we talk about cards here please?

I think that this Thorpe would be perfect for a guy like Moser. He is very good at coloring cards and getting them past the graders.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:25 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Guys, can we talk about cards here please?

I think that this Thorpe would be perfect for a guy like Moser. He is very good at coloring cards and getting them past the graders.
It already graded a '4' once. Whoever tried to restore it is obviously not as skilled as Moser is.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Underrated post.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
It already graded a '4' once. Whoever tried to restore it is obviously not as skilled as Moser is.
It looks like it was his first time trying to restore a card - a $1250 US card. I think that somebody will buy it and fix it up. If you know what you're doing, then this is easy money.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Fred

Quote:
Stupidity.... oh yeah, what everyone else knows... greed...
Old 09-05-2019, 01:59 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
I backed down twice on that score, saying "Like anything else I'm not saying all dentists are irresponsible" and "Maybe Scam was harsh"

I was going to make the same comparison but in a different way. If you said "Man there's a lot of unethical auction houses that run scams on their customers" I'd have to agree.
"The Dewey Decimal System. Now there's a scam."-- Kramer

Last edited by drcy; 09-05-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Or the other way around, maybe some of Towle's chemicals will remove stains from teeth.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:10 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Or the other way around, maybe some of Towle's chemicals will remove stains from teeth.
very possible!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Howard Chasser

Default having trouble......

Sinking my teeth into this thread.

Images of the op showing images of the card being whitened would seem more of an analogy

It was interesting to see 60 year old gum in the he thread!
Old 09-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Here it is prior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Scott Russell

What a beautiful card to be destroyed by greed.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:33 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
What a beautiful card to be destroyed by greed.
I know....I was thinking the same thing.