NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: I feel strip cards....
should not be slabbed. 2 1.43%
should be slabbed with a number and (hand cut) designation. 63 45.00%
Should be slabbed, when warranted (big enough), with only a number. 10 7.14%
should only be slabbed AUT. 48 34.29%
I could care less 17 12.14%
none of the above- please explain 0 0%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Should strip cards be......

I know this has been discussed before but it's interesting to see the votes and explanations. Personally, I think strip cards should either be graded AUT only or they can have a number but need the (hand cut) designation on the flip. How about you? And Kudo's to PSA for doing theirs this way...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-W574-Ir...item562b41ba7d

Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Jimi

Default Agree...

I tend to agree with you, Leon, that there should be a "hand cut" designation on the flip. When it comes down to it though, aren't we judging how well the person cut the card? I mean, in some cases, would it be better to "recut" the card to make it a better trim job?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivintage View Post
I tend to agree with you, Leon, that there should be a "hand cut" designation on the flip. When it comes down to it though, aren't we judging how well the person cut the card? I mean, in some cases, would it be better to "recut" the card to make it a better trim job?

That "re-cutting" can be done but if you mess up you come up with an AUT. I have mixed feelings on this whole issue.....but what I stated previously is mainly the way I feel (until I change my mind )
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 AM

Default Cut authentically

I think the numerical grade (or 'authentic' if dimensions too small) with 'hand cut' designation makes the most sense, as it informs a potential buyer not only the overall condition of the card, but would also indicate to those not familiar with the particular issue that the cards were not machine cut. Of course the TPG's better not apply it to all 'W' designated issues, otherwise they would run the risk of misidentifying non-hand cut issues such as W503.

Brian
Old 11-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Jason Stricker

Default "A" Only

I put together the W512 baseball subject set a year or so ago and I had SGC slab my collection. I originally purchased most of these raw or graded by PSA. One was already slabbed by SGC. I love SGC, but find it odd that out of this entire set, the one I bought that was already slabbed by SGC has a numerical grade. When I look at my set and see how some of the crisp cornered, great looking cards like my two Hornsbys have 'A', yet one of my Frisch cards has rounded corners and a miscut side get a numerical grade, it baffles me. I suppose I'll eventually send the Frisch back to receive an 'A' to be consistent.

When putting together the W512 set, I laughed to myself when I saw a few of them go for 3x to 4x more on eBay because PSA had a number on the slab versus 'A'. Most of the time, at least when I was putting together my set, the numerical ones didn't look nearly as good as the 'Authentics'. That experience clearly illustrated to me that far too many people are buying cards for grades rather than eye appeal.

For individual cards, I voted to have TPG slab as 'Authentic'. Now, I'll make one caveat to that. If there's a FULL, UNCUT sheet of strip cards and TPGs have a slab big enough for the large sheet (not partial strip!), I'd be fine with numerical grades. But since I don't believe TPGs have slabs that large and I see very few full, uncut sheets, I don't see that happening.

My W512 collection:

Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM
mike kilo

I'm gonna have to agree with all the "auth-only" voters on this one (the few of us that there are). I don't think any hand-cut item should have a numerical grade, with such a grade being so obviously given to a second-market's ability to cut a card. But i do think an authentication (be it slabbed or not) is a great idea! Imagine coming across a bunch of nice smaller 31-32 exhibit cuts, wouldn't you want an "auth" designation on them? i think numbers should only apply to items as they were originally distributed, be it in packs, panels, postcards, or what-have-you.

--mike.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Barry Sloate

One logical response is a strip card merits a numerical grade if it has full borders, and only an AUTH grade if it is cut too close to the margins. But the grading has been so inconsistent- I've seen wide bordered strip cards graded both ways. So maybe just grading them all AUTH would create more consistency and less confusion.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:18 PM
pariah1107

Some confusion arises because they once (SGC, PSA) only graded them Authentic and then began to grade them numerically so you can find some "A"'s that now would receive a numerical grade. Personally, I love strip cards, I like the look, the art, the fugliness! Quite frankly many deserve numerical grades mostly because of the vivid color, and clarity rather than borders or centering. For this reason I prefer the black backgrounds of SGC graded cards.

I believe the grading companies can be wrong, I once wrote "PSA could not pour piss out of a boot with directions on the heel." However, I have had two sets (w513 & w512), and one near set (w514) with a great amount of variation, purchased from multiple sources, and graded by different companies and their methods seem to be consistent, strict and fair.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Jeff

AUT only for me, now if someone could only figure out a way to make them attractive.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
AUT only for me, now if someone could only figure out a way to make them attractive.
It looks like the caveat of (Hand Cut) wins out in this poll. As for them being nice looking, you know what they say about "beauty".

Here is a W711-1 that looks pretty good, imo....

Old 11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Jeff

Leon,
There's always an exception (or two). Cartoonish strip cards for the most part (IMO) are not very attractive.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Joe M.

This was my only attempt to get a strip card slabbed.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image (13).jpg (72.5 KB, 67 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
This was my only attempt to get a strip card slabbed.

Joe
A great example of how we need consistency in slabbing these cards. SGC slabbed my Ruth, yet not Joe's Cobb, despite the Cobb having borders and the Ruth does not. Scratching my head over this one.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Glyn Parson

Default why

obviously he did not choose the authentic option or they would have slabbed as authentic. Where is that inconsistent on SGC's part? Or they missed that he chose said option. it is not as though they would not slab his card as authentic. but like yours they would not grade it, which is probably the service he wanted.

Last edited by glynparson; 11-12-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I voted numbered grade with hand cut. I believe the numbered grade should be calculated on overall condition and how much border is left on the card. PSA and SGC grade these cards in completely different ways which makes it interesting if crossing over the cards.