NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-28-2013, 04:35 PM
€d M!££w00D

Default New to Pre-War collecting. Need advice.

I have always collected Post-War cards (50's - 70's). Over the past year I have been working on completing a Hank Aaron Topps master set. While I am not going after the Venezuela cards, I should have the set pretty much complete in a couple of months.

This leads me to my question. After reading posts on this forum, I have decided to next begin collecting Pre-War. I will probably steer clear of "The Monster" as I don't have that kind of money. I have thought about 1933 or 34 Goudey in G - VG condition to keep the price reasonable. What advice can you give me? Any other suggestions I may not be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ed
Old 10-28-2013, 04:40 PM
€d M!££w00D

Sorry. Wrong forum. Should be in Pre-war.

Ed
Old 10-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Richard L.

Ed, can't go wrong with either Goudey set. My suggestion would be to buy the Ruth,Gehrig,Foxx cards graded as many have been tampered with that are raw (I know someone is going to say many high grades "have been played with too"). I've seen many PSA 2's and 3's with nice eye appeal. Good luck and have fun I think Leon can move it to pre war for you?

Last edited by nsaddict; 10-28-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Chris

Good call skipping the Venezuelans. I am trying to track them down for my master set but some years are nearly impossible.

As for pre-war, the 33 Goudey is an iconic set. I would also recommend looking into B-18s. One of the really under-appreciated sets, and great value for the money.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:09 PM
€d M!££w00D

Thanks to both of you. Great advice.

Ed
Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Good luck in your quest.
Think it through. I was influenced by this board to get into pre-war. I was into it for about a year but have sold them all now. For me it was frustrating because there was just so many cards and players that far exceeded my budget. I can collect post war and live without a 52 mantle. but in pre-war to get decent Ruth, Cobb, Lou, Wags, Jackson etc it takes a fortune.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:12 AM
Mark

First and foremost..collect what you like. It's a lot easier to shell out bigger bucks for cards that truly get your heart racing than for a card that you simply want to get out of the way.

Since the sets are smaller I find it much easier to focus on one set at a time, finish it and then move on. That way you pay more attention to what you need/want/can afford

You might find it easier to focus on just one "theme" Collect the entire run of one manufacturer (Goudey, Play Ball etc.) or try and get one good set from each year (my personal fav.)

Bottom line..don't let price guides or grading services make decisions for you. Buy the cards you like, in the condition you like at a price you like. And then enjoy them