NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Jason Dean Martin

Default SGC Moving to 10-Point Grading Scale...thoughts?

I'm curious to ee what everyone thinks about SGC moving to the 10-point scale similar to what PSA, BGS, and BVG use?

I'm excited to see the new labels as that has always been a sticking point for me with their grading. I always loved the slabs and the black inserts but always felt that the labels didn't look professional enough.

Here's the SCD article: ARTICLE
Old 06-27-2018, 03:09 AM
Rich Klein

I probably won't cover this in my column but on instinct and that's all this is. SGC had to go to the 10 pt system because as the 3rd biggest grading company they realized there would never be a chance for them to get more market share unless they went to what is the standardized system for the 2 primary grading companies.

And it's good to see you posting here!

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 06-27-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:25 AM
Jason Dean Martin

Thanks Rich....I'm a daily reader of Net54; have been for several years since hearing Leon on Cardboard Connection Radio; just not a frequent poster.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:39 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I like the 9.5 grade option and i think PSA will end up doing that as well. Its a good business decision even if i not a fan of 9's and 10s that to me look the same etc.

Also the picture of the card being scanned with the grade is a good idea to fight fraud. However its still short of my idea of an owner registry to verify the card you are looking at to buy isn't also 'owned' by someone that isnt selling the card..

I also think they should have the 'best of best' card..so whoever has the 'best' 10 is labeled versus the other 10s..and maybe can do that with the 9s..

The other issue will impact the grade bumpers...they will include notes as to why a 7 is a 7. Will be hard to get bump when it in black and white why they think the card is a 7 and not a 7.5. Also if you attempt to cross it..it may be hard for PSA to give a better grade when they see 'bad corner/crease' in the notes.....it will really direct them to the flaw in the card instead of looking at it more like a blank canvass.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

As long as they use bigger print, no problem. Hey, we are all getting older.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-27-2018, 03:10 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I like the 9.5 grade option and i think PSA will end up doing that as well.
PSA will never have a 9.5 as GEM MINT because they'd owe for millions of reholders if they ever changed 10 to PRISTINE. They are already bought in to their grading scale.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:17 AM
Steve Birmingham

Didn't PSA or someone have a patent on the 10 point system and prevented SGC from using it when they started? (or something like that)

Overall, I think it makes things confusing, which isn't great for business. There's cards with just the 1-100 grade, ones with 1-100 plus the 1-10 and now ones with 1-10.

The colored flips is just silly.

Overall, they seem to be taking the worst elements of the competition and going with that as their new plan.

"Club /cover charge" model?
Going with 1-10 - because 1-100 is too hard for some people?
Going with colored flips because ? Who can read or understand a simple number?

The rest could be good if it's implemented well, the last "upgrade" to the registry/pop reports was pretty bad.

And the stuff that would be legitimate improvements, like a more tamper resistant holder, better gaskets Nope, not doing that.

I still think improved gaskets that were available on request in colors other than black would be a big plus. That way dark bordered cards could be framed with a light gasket. And gaskets in team colors would also be doable. Heck, if there was enough demand they could do licensed gaskets with team logos.