NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Mat.thew Zim.mer.man

Default The word "Graded" as is applies to PSA & SGC item titles

Was hoping to get a few takes on the word "GRADED" being used in ebay item titles when the card is a PSA or SGC graded card but the card has only rcvd an "A" or 'authentic' designation.

There is a hermit (who I would be happy to name if provoked) who has written to us and posted here that we are "mis-using" the term 'graded' ---imagine the time on this person's hands !

SO -- I am saying the card has been 'GRADED' by a company and the grade is ..... "authentic' ---

does anyone here think we are out of line using the term ?
very few people use graded slabbed holdered or anything like that
anyway so its not a search/browse benefit .... thanks for reading

also noteworthy ...we NEVER mis-use a grand name ...
we only use the proper company in the title
Old 09-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Eric
Eric

Saying graded does not necessarily imply a numerical grade. I think you are fine. Doesn't mean some people won't get grumpy about it.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Ch.ris_Hel.mers

I agree. Technically it doesn't have a numeric grade but at least you know that the card isn't a fake.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:45 PM
Ben North

For SGC, PSA, and Beckett I consider the "A" slabbed cards as graded. With the no name companies it does not matter what they have printed on them I just call them garbage. So an "A" would not apply to them. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

All the time, people say a card was graded an 'A.' In essence, saying something was graded simply implies it has ended up in a slab.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:04 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I wouldn't have had to repeat the third grade, if it weren't for those "F" grades.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:32 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'd vote that technically the guy is correct, but it's just a technicality if the card is advertised and shown as being entombed as authentic. Even if my view is correct, this falls under no harm, no foul.

I note that, personally, I've always considered a trimmed or otherwise altered card as a grade of Poor. But the grading companies don't do it that way (which would circle around to why I said the guy is technically correct).

Last edited by drcy; 09-16-2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:46 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Authentic grades at PSA used to count as 0.5 on the registry. They now count as Poor 1s for registry purposes.
However, slabbed by PSA/SGC/BVG in my opinion includes Authentic grades.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I'd vote that technically the guy is correct, but it's just a technicality if the card is advertised and shown as being entombed as authentic. Even if my view is correct, this falls under no harm, no foul.

I note that, personally, I've always considered a trimmed or otherwise altered card as a grade of Poor. But the grading companies don't do it that way (which would circle around to why I said the guy is technically correct).
I don't see it that way. I have had cards grade "A" that look MILESSSSSS better than a "poor" grade. It's a minority, but I have also had "A" cards by one grader get graded by another.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:44 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

If the card is slabbed an "A" then it went through the grading process. It is graded.

My pet peeve is when sellers put "NM appearance" in the title when the card is graded "A" because it was trimmed. Duh, of course it looks NM, it's freaking trimmed. Stupid sellers.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:15 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I don't see it that way. I have had cards grade "A" that look MILESSSSSS better than a "poor" grade. It's a minority, but I have also had "A" cards by one grader get graded by another.
Irrelevant to what they look like, they grade either poor or less than poor.

Grades really are suppose to be applied to unaltered cards, with the Altered/Authentic grade being the odd-man-out or * designation being a matter of discussion. We all know what altered/authentic means, so whether or not "A" qualifies as a grade is a debate on the order of whether it's po-TAY-to or po-TAH-to.

Last edited by drcy; 09-16-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Jeff

Of course it's been graded.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-16-2017, 12:34 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Default "Number grade"

Actually, now that I think of it, I have heard collectors use the term "number graded." Type graders saying they want the rare card in any condition as long as it will be assigned a "number grade" (1-10), meaning it is unaltered.

There you go. Problem solved. Now we can move on and debate Peace in the Middle East and the theoretical possibility of cold fusion.

"But, David, you haven't actually solved the debate, but compartmentalized the issue and put the Authentic in another room."
"Shut up."

Immanuel Kant said that many arguments are not caused by disagreement over the main ideas, but that the arguers unknowingly define terms differently. Once the parties mutually set the definitions (which they didn’t do in the beginning), they are often surprised to discover how much they agree with each other.

Which leads us to So then, If a Tree Falls When No One's Around Does It Make a Sound or Doesn't It?

Last edited by drcy; 09-16-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Jeff

I think I'll crack out the "Critique of Pure Reason."

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-16-2017, 01:41 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

When I was little and would ask if something was "a" or "b," my professor dad would say "There may be other possibilities" or "It might not be an either/or. It might be a both/and."

Now you know where I got it from.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Neither SGC nor PSA list Authentic on their list of "grades" however I think most collectors consider a card in a holder as graded even if the outcome is Authentic.

Not all card assessed as Authentic are altered. Cards which are larger or smaller than the factory specs, for instance, will get encapsulated with an A, if the submitter wants. And not all cards assessed with an A are NM or better. I see more that are chewed up.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:10 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Neither SGC nor PSA list Authentic on their list of "grades" however I think most collectors consider a card in a holder as graded even if the outcome is Authentic.

Not all card assessed as Authentic are altered. Cards which are larger or smaller than the factory specs, for instance, will get encapsulated with an A, if the submitter wants. And not all cards assessed with an A are NM or better. I see more that are chewed up.
And many autographed card submitters looking for the "A" don't even ask for or want a number grade, but just designation that the card (and autograph) is authentic.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
And many autographed card submitters looking for the "A" don't even ask for or want a number grade, but just designation that the card (and autograph) is authentic.
Great point. I vaguely recall in the very early days of grading there had even been a discussion to not assign a numerical grade but to simply assess the card for authenticity. It was suggested that using a numerical grade distracted from the main purpose of assessing cards--to determine if they were altered. Anyone else recall that?
Old 09-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
If the card is slabbed an "A" then it went through the grading process. It is graded.

My pet peeve is when sellers put "NM appearance" in the title when the card is graded "A" because it was trimmed. Duh, of course it looks NM, it's freaking trimmed. Stupid sellers.
Raises hand sheepishly, I did that with an e75 John L Sullivan. It did sell however.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-17-2017, 05:49 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:

Not true David....the "A" grade has the biggest collection of condition ranges there is. I have seen Hank Aaron rookie "A"s that have looked like that got run over by a truck. The "A" doesn't always mean trimmed.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:22 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Not true David....the "A" grade has the biggest collection of condition ranges there is. I have seen Hank Aaron rookie "A"s that have looked like that got run over by a truck. The "A" doesn't always mean trimmed.
I think you misread my post. I understand there are other reasons for the "A" grade, but I meant specifically when the card is graded an "A" because it's trimmed. The purpose of trimming the card is to make the corners appear more sharper.

Then the seller puts in the title or body "NM appearance" or something similar. To me, that's just plain stupid. Of course it looks NM, it's trimmed. I could make all my EX and Ex/Mt cards look NM if I trimmed them.

Quote:

Old 09-17-2017, 08:46 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I think you misread my post. I understand there are other reasons for the "A" grade, but I meant specifically when the card is graded an "A" because it's trimmed. The purpose of trimming the card is to make the corners appear more sharper.

Then the seller puts in the title or body "NM appearance" or something similar. To me, that's just plain stupid. Of course it looks NM, it's trimmed. I could make all my EX and Ex/Mt cards look NM if I trimmed them.
I get a kick out of that too! When the time comes to sell my cards, I am also going to state, other than the creases, bent corners, paper loss and scuff marks, this card is mint!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:07 AM

I've been Called All Sorts of Names in my Life!
Definitely a 1st time fir "Hermit"!

Anyways...

You Seem to have answered Your own question in Your Opening Statement!

"Was hoping to get a few takes on the word "GRADED" being used in ebay item titles when the card is a PSA or SGC graded card
"but" the card has only received an "A" or 'authentic' designation."

*Slabbed "Authentic" Cards are Not in the Same Category as a Card that has been given a Numerical Grade.

So...
If a Seller took one of the Cards I've Attached and Cracked it out of it's Slab.
The Seller Then proceeded to Sell sed Card as Near Mint,
Adding that the Card Would "Grade" if Sent in to Any one of the Major Card Grading Company's.

The Mention'd Card is then Sold to a New Collector in Our Hobby.
New Collector Sends it in Hoping to get at Least a "5", Maybe even an "8"!!!

Upon Receiving the Slabbed Card back in an "Authentic" Holder,
New Collector is Confused.
Howevar, Because He is New to the Whole Process, He's tentative about approaching the Seller about His Card that didn't Receive a "Grade"
And Because They are New to Our Hobby, He Financially Eats the Sellers Gain!

So is a Slabbed "Authentic" Card Really a "Graded Card"?
Awww... "No!"

This is why Experienced Collector's Know to Ask,
"If It Doesn't Receive a Numerical Grade and it Comes Back "Slabbed Authentic", Will You Refund my Payment!?"

"Months Ago", When I Sent You a Message through Ebay about Your Selling Technique, I was merely Pointing this out.

As was mention'd Earlier, "Authentic" Slabbed Cards are Not part of SGC's Grading Scale.

https://sgccard.com/GradingScale.aspx

Please feel free to point out where Your "Graded Authentic" Cards
Fall within SGC's Grading Scale?

As fir Provoking Member's of THiS Fine Community of Collector's...
I'll Leave THaT uP Ta You, You Seem to Be Very Good at it!

Howevar, "IF" You Do Feel Provoked...?
THeN I Hope THaT THis Hits You RiGHT Between Your Stargazers'
LiKe a Texas Cattle Prod ~

Oh... SeeiN How You are a "ToppsAholic", I was Wondering?
Which of Your "12 Steps" Are You WorkiN oN?
Are You Evan Working Your 12 Step Program?
We Certainly Don't Want You Relapsing!
Remember What Happen'd Last Time!!!

I Know, I Know!
Some Will Say THaT I'm Just bein to Hard oN the New Comer!
Well, I Say... The Short Time Since He's Been Here He's Taken Many Liberties
Towards Quite a Few.
Howevar, He Has made Some Progress!
He Even Knows We Have a BST Now...
And Fir Some, THaT Could Prove Dangerous!

Well, Banter Away Sir...
I Leave You ta Spend Lots of Time Provoking & BeiN Provoked.

Nuf Sed Aye!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3_Trimmed_E90-1s.jpg (77.6 KB, 83 views)
Old 09-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Robert Williams

I guess Im in the minority, but I don't have a problem with "A" cards. It allows you to get a nicer looking card for a fraction of the price. The problem arises when a seller like Battlefield wins an "A" card on the cheap, cracks it out, and sells it for the "unaltered" price. There is a HUGE monetary incentive to do that, and not all sellers exhibit the necessary ethics to avoid temptation.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:21 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Saying graded does not necessarily imply a numerical grade. I think you are fine. Doesn't mean some people won't get grumpy about it.
+1

Best regards,

Larry