NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
No I have not seen a 1924 strip either.
I have seen several of these 1924 strips, three different colors in fact, but don't remember seeing any like this from another world series.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I have seen several of these 1924 strips, three different colors in fact, but don't remember seeing any like this from another world series.
Hi Hank-
I am of the strong belief that the Comiskey WS tickets from the late teens were sold like this but I have never seen a full strip. Many of the Press Tickets from that era were quite similar in their format.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:20 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballparks View Post
Hi Hank-
I am of the strong belief that the Comiskey WS tickets from the late teens were sold like this but I have never seen a full strip. Many of the Press Tickets from that era were quite similar in their format.
Why wasn’t the 7 th game included on the 1924 strips?
Old 12-01-2019, 04:27 PM
Hank Thomas

Default 1924 Washington World Series strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Why wasn’t the 7 th game included on the 1924 strips?
The location was decided by a coin toss after game six. The first six games were two in D.C., three in N.Y., one in D.C. Not sure if the location of the first game was also decided by a coin toss. No travel days in that series, seven games in seven days. I wonder if anyone has tried to chart the systems by which the location of world series games has been decided through the years. Another question is whether both teams in '24 had game 7 tickets pre-printed or if they did them overnight the day of game six.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Clint

Thanks Hank, that never made sense and now it does.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
The location was decided by a coin toss after game six. The first six games were two in D.C., three in N.Y., one in D.C. Not sure if the location of the first game was also decided by a coin toss. No travel days in that series, seven games in seven days. I wonder if anyone has tried to chart the systems by which the location of world series games has been decided through the years. Another question is whether both teams in '24 had game 7 tickets pre-printed or if they did them overnight the day of game six.
Wow Hank. That is the first time I have heard that. Do you have a reference for that? Awesome info! I always thought that the 'stub' part was the Game 7 ticket. A lot of tickets back then were sold in 3s as well, so that may have been a reason for it too.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Wow Hank. That is the first time I have heard that. Do you have a reference for that? Awesome info! I always thought that the 'stub' part was the Game 7 ticket. A lot of tickets back then were sold in 3s as well, so that may have been a reason for it too.
OK. I should have just trusted good 'ol Google!! Nice work Hank. I am super impressed you knew that, although it was actually before Game 5 that the coin toss happened in 1924.

http://research.sabr.org/journals/fi...l-31-Bevis.pdf

Last edited by ballparks; 12-01-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
OK. I should have just trusted good 'ol Google!! Nice work Hank. I am super impressed you knew that, although it was actually before Game 5 that the coin toss happened in 1924.

http://research.sabr.org/journals/fi...l-31-Bevis.pdf
Terrific article, just what I was wondering about! My information came from "Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train," by Henry W. Thomas, Chapter 14, p. 236: "The 1924 world series was the first since the Red Sox/Giants classic of 1912 to come down to a last deciding contest. Just as they had won the coin toss deciding where the series would begin, Washington won again on a crucial second flip to determine the site of the finale. Judge Landis used a silver dollar given him by Clark Griffith, who had borrowed it from a long-time Nationals rooter for whom the coin had been a "good-luck piece." Harris called the flip correctly, and Griffith pocketed the dollar, which he carried with him for the rest of his life." Footnote 11 from that chapter credits "Morris Siegel, Washington Post, August 30, 1951" for the story, which presumably came directly from Griffith, Harris, or both of them, still very much active in the game at the time of Siegel's column. The toss coming after the fourth game explains how they were able to get tickets printed in time for game 7, of which I have seen many examples. I have always thought those ticket strips for games 1,2, and 6, by the way, to be fairly unique in the ticket collecting sphere for their size, beauty, and significance, and similar to the series and especially the 7th game in their underappreciation within the baseball history and collecting worlds. I always love to make the (very strong) argument that the 7th game of the 1924 World Series was the single greatest game played in the history of baseball. Thank goodness the Nationals decided to punch the tickets as fans walked in rather than tear them as originally intended based on the perforations. Somebody must have been thinking about what great souvenirs they would--and do--make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (75.3 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg wj 002.jpg (75.7 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by Hankphenom; 12-02-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:25 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I picked this up a couple months ago, but had not posted it in on here. The Texas Welcome Dinner was where JFK was scheduled to speak on the night of November 22, 1963, had he not been assassinated earlier in the day.

This is the only ticket I have in my collection. It is just such an amazing piece of history, IMO. The condition is not the best, but I had wanted a Texas Welcome Dinner ticket for a while. The ones the that show up on eBay almost always have outrageous BINs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texas Welcome Dinner Front10232019.jpg (75.9 KB, 424 views)

Last edited by Bored5000; 11-30-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:21 PM
Joe Hunter

Default 33 WS and 39 AS GAME TICKETS

Recently got these back from PSA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0E7FBD9F-4EF3-4461-B65F-2F371BD56CD7.jpg (20.8 KB, 407 views)
Old 11-30-2019, 09:44 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Correction

Should have said 33 WS and 33 AS Game
Old 12-01-2019, 11:29 AM

Joe- 32WS.

Last edited by ballparks; 12-01-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Joe Hunter

Default 32 WS and 33 AS game tickets

Thanks, I screwed up that post all the way around!