NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 PM
chris

Default opinions: best time of year to sell to collectors

Whether your an auction house or an individual, are some times of the year better than others for selling? Looking for opinions from both camps...
Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I'm somewhere in between (an individual who runs eBay auctions year-round), and would say that I typically see better action (more and higher bids) in the fall run-up to Christmas and in the winter time once the north/northeast starts getting snow regularly. Summer is traditionally worse for me on auctions, with the traditional explanation that fair weather and family vacations tend to draw bidders away from their computers.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

March, 2004
Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Jonathan Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I typically see better action (more and higher bids) in the fall run-up to Christmas and in the winter time once the north/northeast starts getting snow regularly.
I would have thought that Christmas would be slow for collecting since it may be harder to justify spending money on cardboard rather than shiny presents for the wife and kids?

"Sorry Timmy, you didn't get a new bike, but take a look at this 100 year old Hughie Jennings card I just got!"
Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 PM

Vintage baseball collectors buy year round. No better or worse season. Years back I was a bit surprised to learn that people still actively bought and sold baseball cards online even when the season was over. No off season deals to be found.

Last edited by drc; 10-31-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:21 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteele View Post
I would have thought that Christmas would be slow for collecting since it may be harder to justify spending money on cardboard rather than shiny presents for the wife and kids?

"Sorry Timmy, you didn't get a new bike, but take a look at this 100 year old Hughie Jennings card I just got!"
Well, it depends on what you're selling (which you didn't specify). Cardboard may be slower, but signed balls, bats, etc tend to sell quickly to Mrs. Collector, presumably to be used as gifts.

And I agree with David as well: if you have something unique, hard to find, or a particularly nice specimen, the time of year won't affect bidding so much. And if you're not running it as an auction, then it won't affect bidding at all
Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Well, it depends on what you're selling (which you didn't specify). Cardboard may be slower, but signed balls, bats, etc tend to sell quickly to Mrs. Collector, presumably to be used as gifts.

And I agree with David as well: if you have something unique, hard to find, or a particularly nice specimen, the time of year won't affect bidding so much. And if you're not running it as an auction, then it won't affect bidding at all
I agree with Lance.

I would also like to add that from a buyers perspective, mid-late December through early January generally is a time that some of us are at home more with possibly more access to eBay. I'm often am puzzled why I infrequently find anything interesting to buy during this time of the year. Other collector friends on eBay mention the same to me. This seemingly would be a great time to list items to sell. Food for thought for all sellers...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-31-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Jay Zimmerman

Default buying and selling

I buy, sell and collect. As a seller I only try to sell from End of September thru May and avoid any holiday weekends. I buy all year but especially in the summer months. There are always people on vacation or just not interested as they are in leisure mode and therefore there are usually less bidders.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 PM
chris

Thanks for everyone's input. I enjoyed reading your responses!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:08 AM

Cant speak for sports memorabilia, but my dad sells a wide variety of antiques on ebay and has been since 1999. He usually holds off on selling during the late spring- early fall months although he still sells just not at the same pace. Like everyone said previously, its due to a lot of leisure, but its also during the late spirng-early fall months that the good outdoor shows are staged and so people are less inclined to be watching online. When you got that collectors itch in December, its much easier to use ebay.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Steve Birmingham

Interesting, the responses are totally opposite of what I'd expect.

When I was selling regularly on Ebay December and January were miserable. Hardly any sales at all.

As a buyer, I'm far more active during summer for a couple reasons.
First is that we live in a good sized Victorian house. Which costs a lot to heat So I'm largely broke from Nov-March/April.
Second is that my work is seasonal to the summer, so In addition to not having the huge oil bill I also have some income then.

Steve B
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Bruce C@rter

I have found that I can get good buys around the middle of December on high end cards. That is $3000+ cards. My assumption may be wrong, but in one easy trade the seller just payed for Christmas. I have bought several that time of year over the past 5 years.