NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Big League Baseballs

Default Any info on this American League Harridge Ball?

I received these pictures from a member of another site/forum. It's an unusual AL Reach ball that I've never seen. None of the manufacturer's stamps match the common AL balls of the W.H. era.

I have asked them to join the site to post additional information, but there's probably not much else we know about it.

Has anyone seen one before, and if so, any idea what they were used for? Maybe another league's ball? Or a prototype? Or possibly just a very rare MLB AL ball? Any information, even pure speculation, would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AL - Harridge - Front View.jpg (9.8 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg AL-Harridge - Top view.jpg (9.9 KB, 225 views)
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 PM
William Peebles

My first thought was that it is a Canadian variation as their versions were somewhat different, but it looks as though it has a USA stamp under the logo. If I were to guess, I'd say that it was made by Reach after Harridge's tenure. For what purpose? I haven't got a clue. The design style doesn't look early.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 06-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Jimmy

Default Any info on this American League Harridge Ball

maybe a later version of the Reach product late 1940s or early 50s

Jimmy
Old 06-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Jonathan Scheier

My guess is that it's a straight-up forgery. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but it doesn't match any Harridge ball I've ever seen. There are several things which don't match any known Reach AL balls, like the scripted "Reach" on the southern panel. It was always block letter. I remember back in the late 1990's and early 2000's seeing balls similar to this on eBay when sellers would inexplicably have a Ruth, Foxx, Ott, Cobb, Wagner, Walter Johnson, etc. single signed baseball for sale every week. Again, I can't say it's 100% impossible that it's a salesman's sample of some kind, but it's definitely not one ever used by Major League Baseball.
Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
JonathanS@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign

Connect with Heritage at http://sports.HA.com/Connect
Old 06-07-2010, 03:53 PM
William Peebles

If it were a forgery it would be based on something authentic. This is clearly a new style all together. A prototype isn't out of the question. Perhaps it was part of a design proposal for a new league ball for 1958 or 59 before Cronin was picked as league president?

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Big League Baseballs

Heritage Sports - the thought never even crossed my mind. Very interesting, I'd think they'd at least try to get something right though if it were a forgery. It is ridiculous how nothing really matches any previous Reach logo, font or wording.

Thanks for the input. I also didn't think about salesmen samples. I've seen them for sale on Ebay, but they almost always seemed to be different sizes, not official sized baseballs, or at least not all the same official stamping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_9 View Post
If it were a forgery it would be based on something authentic. This is clearly a new style all together. A prototype isn't out of the question. Perhaps it was part of a design proposal for a new league ball for 1958 or 59 before Cronin was picked as league president?
William, this is kind of what I was thinking. I could see them making prototypes for future years, then scrapping them for changes in presidency. I've discovered and collected quite a few prototypes, mostly from dependable sources too (here's my gallery of prototypes and misprints, with a few random baseballs from other leagues, and one or two pics I found online: Gallery)

Anyway, it sure is a weird version compared to the typical Reach logo and league stampings. Glad this never got the green-light if it was a proposed prototype.

----

Thanks to everyone who responded, always great to get different perspectives, especially from those with a lot of knowledge of vintage baseballs. I'm not sure if the seller was a reputable dealer or not. I'm going to track down their ID just to see what else they've sold.

By the way, got another ball coming that's possibly another rare one, maybe prototype, would love to get more feedback on that as well. Hope to post it tonight.