NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Default Question about buying T206s

Posted By: Leslie Westbrook

I'm a t206 collector on a budget, and for the past year I've been buying only raw t206s from seemingly reputable Ebay sellers (no problems yet, knock on wood). But I'm curious as to whether it would be smarter to buy graded cards instead (of course I wouldn't be able to afford to buy as often).

Basically what I'm asking is whether or not buying fewer, but more expensive lower-grade, graded T206s is a better move than buying raw cards for lower prices.

You may all say this is just a matter of personal taste, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something or overlooking a bit of wisdom in this area.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Leslie...I would buy graded. If you look at graded cards in the PSA 1-3 range...I think your going to pay compareable money to a raw T206 in fair condition. You can get a PSA 2 lets say for $28-30 bucks. So far the card itself and the card having already been graded (another $15)...your getting it for $28-30...plus, the reassurance the card is legit, not altered, not trimmed....etc. (I know non-grading guys..insert joke here.)

Old 06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Here is an example of a "2" I bought for $30...(or so). Basically the card $15...plus the grading that was done (also a $15 value). Tell me where your going to get this card raw for $15? Whoever is selling like this raw for that price....email me.

Also...I should add...don't know why this is a 2!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Leslie Westbrook

You've made your point most excellently. Thanks for the tip. And I agree...you're not going to find that t206 or any other for that price raw.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

It kind of depends on what your purpose is. If you're trying to complete a near-set, then definitely lower-condition raw. If you're doing team sets or other varieties, it might be worth buying lower grades. IF you're ever going to sell any of them down the road, you're probably better off graded. Also the advantage to buying graded is that if you decide later to grade them, you won't be incurring that extra expense.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Leslie--you know your budget and your preferences in regards to slabbing. If you're working on your own set and not concerned with re-selling, or impressing others with the slabs...and you've had luck with "raw" purchases, why not stay that route? Less expense, less space, etc. You might want to keep a lookout for multi-card lots, helps considerably with shipping costs. Think it holds true with any significant set, not only 206's...

Old 06-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

I tend to buy T206 commons raw and HOFers graded. That has worked well for me. I also collect only PSA, but when I see a good deal (which I define as getting a graded card for at least $15 less than I would expect to pay), I don't mind buying non-PSA graded cards and then submiting them to PSA for crossover (crossover costs $15 . . . so that's where I spend the "$15 savings").

For those who buy commons graded (Dave, et al.), what do you find the average price for a T206 PSA 1 common is? Maybe $25?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

I really just look for the best deals period. I buy probably a little more cards slabbed, just because a lot the more obscure sets seem to have a majority of the cards slabbed that i see for sale. But I dont limit myself to one or the other. Just keep your eyes open for the cards you want in the grade you want. If its raw obviously look the card over closely and request high resolution scans, if they dont send them to you, then price accordingly.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

it is a personal preference...

i started collecting raw cards almost 20 years ago...then slowly got into graded cards. my personal choice is PSA graded cards. for me, there are several reasons, much higher resale value, there is a comfort level (most of the time) that the card is not altered, and it presents well and is sealed and preserved...

but i am sure you will see others who prefer raw and they will give you their reasoning...it is a personal preference for sure.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

over the years I have bought both ungraded cards and graded to balance out my collection and what I sell. This will help with understanding cards better and give you some cards to still look at without it in a plastic holder.

Take care

Jimmy