NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2019, 04:06 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

I like using the WAR stat which takes all aspects of a player’s game and puts it into a number

Mays 156.4 (5th all time)
Mantle 110.3 (20th all time)
Snider 66.4 (131 all time)

You can isolate a stat or two and show that he somehow compares to the others. But he doesn’t. Sniders lifetime stats are most comparable to those of Jim Edmonds (60.4 WAR). Snider is a HOF player all the way. But Mantle and Mays are upper echelon elite players.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Bill James (among others) has written how the "I saw him play" argument is among the most often used yet one of the most fallible endorsements a person can make on behalf of a player. We all do it, but it really has no place in trying to identify the best player within a group of players.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
I like using the WAR stat which takes all aspects of a player’s game and puts it into a number

You can isolate a stat or two and show that he somehow compares to the others. But he doesn’t. Sniders lifetime stats are most comparable to those of Jim Edmonds (60.4 WAR). Snider is a HOF player all the way. But Mantle and Mays are upper echelon elite players.
Again though, at his peak he was elite 9.3, 8.3, 8.6, 7.6 even if he becomes a 5 WAR guy until he's 35 that alters his career numbers enormously including roughly 20 points to his career WAR. Don't get me wrong even at 86.4 he's not Mantle or Mays, but he's definitely looked upon differently. His health really was his limiting factor. He had 407 career home runs. 316 by age 30. 91 after. 316 Home runs by age 30 puts you in pretty special company.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

In my opinion, Snider is a definite notch below if you consider only the 50s and not really in the same discussion if you consider the whole career, as he did next to nothing in the 60s and was gone by 1964. Still, a mid tier HOFer.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-11-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Duke Snider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post

You like to use WAR (or is it actually a new-speak term called "war-p") which at best is only an approximation of available data which is made up of imprecise assumptions.

I choose OPS as a more meaningful stat to gauge a ballplayer's offensive worth to his team. Because that's what WINS games.

Mays' OPS # is .941 and Snider's OPS # is .919; however, Snider's value to the Dodgers during the regular seasons (1949 - 1959) was amazing. Especially in World Series
play where Snider's numbers are significantly greater than Mays' numbers in World Series play.

Incidentally, you'll get no arguments from me regarding Mickey Mantle. I grew up seeing him play (watching TV and live at Yankee Stadium). Mickey was my idol.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 09-11-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:35 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

It’s interesting that you won’t argue Mantle vs Duke but have plenty of argument for Willie vs Duke. Willie was clearly the best of the 3. Some would argue that Mays was the greatest player of all time with his defense taken into the equation - and is in most people’s top 3.

No disrespect to the career and legacy of Duke Snider who is a well deserved HOF member. But he’s not in the same class as the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
You like to use WAR (or is it actually a new-speak term called "war-p") which at best is only an approximation of available data which is made up of imprecise assumptions.

I choose OPS as a more meaningful stat to gauge a ballplayer's offensive worth to his team. Because that's what WINS games.

Mays' OPS # is .941 and Snider's OPS # is .919; however, Snider's value to the Dodgers during the regular seasons (1949 - 1959) was amazing. Especially in World Series
play where Snider's numbers are significantly greater than Mays' numbers in World Series play.

Incidentally, you'll get no arguments from me regarding Mickey Mantle. I grew up seeing him play (watching TV and live at Yankee Stadium). Mickey was my idol.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-11-2019, 06:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

I can't see ranking Mays any lower than 5th. Mantle is an interesting case depending on how much you value his phenomenal on base percentage due to walks, but he is obviously a top 20 player if not significantly higher. Snider, I can't see higher than maybe 50-60.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-11-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Scott Russell

I think, as his career shook out, Snider is right around 50th (His OPS is 48th, and that's behind a number of roid users) My point is as the three of them were in center field in NY at the same time in the mid 50's "Who is best" was a much more valid question then, than it is in retrospect today.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-11-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:55 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Willie, Mickey, or the Duke.... ?

Continuing to discuss this matter any further is futile, for I cannot relate with people who never saw Willie, Mickey, or the Duke play Baseball in the 1950's.
One thing nice about growing older, your mind starts reverting back to your youth and Baseball in the 1950's becomes very clear in my mind. Especially, if
you grew up in the greater NY - NJ area.

So, I leave you with some thing to think about......some thing intangible that "stands out" which Mickey Mantle and Carl Yastrzemski have achieved that no
other BB players in modern history have achieved. These two ballplayers directly "stepped" into the footprints of two tremendous ballplayers (Joe DiMaggio
and Ted Williams) and succeeded tremendously. This is an extremely rare occurrence in the history of this game. I cannot think of any other BB player who
has achieved this to the degree that Mickey and Carl did.

Think about this, let it sink into your minds....it's an awesome accomplishment which is unique to these two guys.

Good night,

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Continuing to discuss this matter any further is futile, for I cannot relate with people who never saw Willie, Mickey, or the Duke play Baseball in the 1950's.
One thing nice about growing older, your mind starts reverting back to your youth and Baseball in the 1950's becomes very clear in my mind. Especially, if
you grew up in the greater NY - NJ area.

So, I leave you with some thing to think about......some thing intangible that "stands out" which Mickey Mantle and Carl Yastrzemski have achieved that no
other BB players in modern history have achieved. These two ballplayers directly "stepped" into the footprints of two tremendous ballplayers (Joe DiMaggio
and Ted Williams) and succeeded tremendously. This is an extremely rare occurrence in the history of this game. I cannot think of any other BB player who
has achieved this to the degree that Mickey and Carl did.

Think about this, let it sink into your minds....it's an awesome accomplishment which is unique to these two guys.

Good night,

TED Z

T206 Reference
Not to one up you Ted, but I always thought that the unbroken chain of Leftfielders in Boston from Williams to Yaz to Rice was pretty ridiculous. 3 HOF'ers at the same position in a row, spanning 50 years these three must've started 90% of the games in LF for the Sox.