NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Dave Wilson

Default Sold Prices on B/S/T

Relatively new to this board. Forgive me if this question has already been posted and if there is a thread for this but why do sellers remove the price of an item when it is sold. I would think it would be good info for everyone to know what these items sold for or at least what a seller was asking for an item when it sold. Thanks! Dave
Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccre View Post
Relatively new to this board. Forgive me if this question has already been posted and if there is a thread for this but why do sellers remove the price of an item when it is sold. I would think it would be good info for everyone to know what these items sold for or at least what a seller was asking for an item when it sold. Thanks! Dave
Nobody actually knows the reason and it drives every normal person crazy seeing that BS!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccre View Post
Yeah, it's been covered before, but no big deal. New people on here all the time. Generally speaking, if I sell something for less than what I originally wanted for it, I don't want others to know. Lots of reasons why, but that's the beauty of Net54....it's not ebay.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 PM

I'm one of them. Sorry
Old 06-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

If the buyer asks to have it removed I do.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Jimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Yeah, I just figure the final price is between the seller and the buyer. It's great reference for those not involved...but I think those that are in the transaction would rather not share.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Mike Bodner

Although I understand and respect a seller's right to take the prices down, as a Tigers collector looking to add some pre-war Tigers to my collection, I really like to educate myself with the prices on the stuff I missed out on! (is it me or do Tigers sell well on here??)
Old 06-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Some years ago a card was listed "at a discount" to Net54 members as a nice gesture. Sold for $2,000 or so. Card immediately went on Ebay and sold for $3,500 or so. Then the buyer bragged about how great he was for making the quick profit and referenced the original BST lot. Sale prices are now deleted to not look like you were taken advantage of.

I really don't remember the amounts. They may have been $150 and $300 for all I know. But the circumstances were something like this.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Robert A

I think a majority take em down.

In fact, I always have to ask how much I owe again because the seller takes the price down before I pay.

No big deal either way.

Rob
Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Steve Murray

I always leave the original asking price up even though I may have sold at a discount.

You make a profit off me that's ok. I sold the item for a price that was fair to me.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default buy sell

I also feel its somewhat of a private agreement between buyer and seller, its very similar to when I guy who wears a toupee goes to the hair weave guy..thats really between them
Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
+1
Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Banned

People dont generally like talking about how much money they have or how much they spent on it. I think it is because people draw assumptions if you made 150k last year, and same goes with baseball cards. Its extremely hard to rationalize spending 5 figures on a card for the average man, and collector as well, yet we do regardlesss.

To an extent vintage baseball cards are a better investment than precious metals, I dont think people should be so timid about prices and values.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Robert Williams

I take my prices down as a courtesy to buyers. If someone really wants to know though, just ask....if I can remember, I will give you a rough idea of the range it fell into.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I change the price to 2-3 times what I really sold it for, and then I congratulate myself for being such a great salesman.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 AM
Wes

I agree with most members here, final sale prices are buyer/seller business. Plus, sometimes people combine selling and trading, so that dollar amount would not properly reflect a true sale. Also, sometimes particular players or issues are hot, (for whatever reason) and command fast sales with premium prices. On the other hand, a premium price may be aquired, but just takes longer if that player or issue isn't poppin that week or month.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-08-2013, 02:07 AM
Matt Hall

I remove it every time. Everybody wants to pay less than the last guy, that's why I remove it. Everything would perpetually lose value of we didn't... It's modern card collectingat its finest.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:01 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Everybody wants to pay less than the last guy, that's why I remove it.
I remove any sale price only because most everyone else does it. Matt's reason makes alot of sense to me. I've often wondered what would happen to the price of cards if there were no price guides or price tracking services.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Dave Terwi.lliger

I've often wondered what would happen to the price of cards if there were no price guides or price tracking services.

prices would go up... like they used to in the good old days... before VCP and google.

Last edited by murcerfan; 06-08-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Mike

I would like to see them stay, but that's the choice of the seller, I could always call up the (NSA National Security Agency and Verizon) to have them look it up for me. True but just a joke
Mike
Old 06-08-2013, 08:05 AM
pete ullman

I remove the prices...always have...always will...tough noogies!
Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Now if I could only get gas stations to function the same way.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Chris

I've only sold one thing on the BST trade but removed the price as a courtesy to the buyer in case he wanted to flip something in the lot on eBay or the BST. I was selling several items in a lot and sold them below book to move them quickly. I don't mind if someone turns around and makes money off of one of my deals, and having the price available publicly hurts his ability to do so.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Jake

I don't see why there is this stigma attached to leaving prices. People don't have to know who bought what, and most people post their new cards in the pick-up thread anyway. So no privacy issue.

Housing sales are public records, I don't see why this should be any different, at least price wise.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

If you're trying to judge realistic value based on what things are sold for in the b/s/t, you are out of your mind.

Yes, many items sell in the b/s/t for somewhat realistic prices. But what I've noticed quite often, is that items are offered up for much less than realistic value on this board, simply because,(more often than not) the item is going to another "collector" on the board, who will actually appreciate the card, rather than just a flipper..

As a prime example, there was a beautiful OC(possibly miscut) Seaver rookie that went for CRAZY low. I won't say how low though, but CRAZY might even be an understatement(the fact that it's still on the top of my mind 2 years later, should give you an idea of how memorably low it was)... There's absolutely ZERO reason to have that information floating around out there for people to attempt to use as a reference.. That's not a normal sale, it's practically a gift..

Instances like that are the reason, that I have ZERO problem with the sold prices being removed.. Because what goes on here, is not always normal, in terms of buying and selling..