NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2024, 11:39 AM
Brian Dalrymple

Default Consignor's check

Does anyone know what is the norm or standard for most AH's on issuing consignor checks? Then specifically any knowledge about LOTG?

I ask because one promised assumed date has led to another and then emails don't get answered regarding the subject.

I won't say all is bad or good, but my first major consignment to an AH has led me to feel the need to post an in-depth review here soon. Maybe it's common knowledge among old heads and those who have worked the AH's on consignments plenty in the past, however I think something could be gained from an in-depth review or review thread.
ANWCOLLECTIBLES on Instagram
"If it's not at least a hundred years old, I probably won't want it."
"Yesterday's price, is not today's price."

The goods --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/196575621@N05/albums

Last edited by anchorednw; 04-26-2024 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:50 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorednw View Post
Does anyone know what is the norm or standard for most AH's on issuing consignor checks? Then specifically any knowledge about LOTG?

I ask because one promised date has led to another and then emails don't get answered regarding the subject.

I won't say all is bad or good, but my first major consignment to an AH has led me to feel the need to post an in-depth review here soon. Maybe it's common knowledge among old heads and those who have worked the AH's on consignments plenty in the past, however I think something could be gained from an in-depth review or review thread.
I will say a persons first major consignment to an AH is a learning experience.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Typically takes about 30 days for most auction houses. Some a bit less; some more. With regard to LOTG, I head that their consignor checks should go out next week. Patience is a virtue.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 04-26-2024, 12:10 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Currently waiting on my first auction consignment check ever as well. It's been nearly 7 weeks but I was told in advance they generally took a while. So if anything I'm only very slightly annoyed at this point.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 04-26-2024, 12:16 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

30 days about customary.

7 weeks?????

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-26-2024 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:31 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

7 weeks seems nuts.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:31 PM

I pay in 2 weeks can't, speak for others...

https://www.brockelmanauctions.com
Old 04-26-2024, 12:58 PM
Brian R

What does your contract say?
Old 04-26-2024, 01:06 PM
Chase

I think 30 days is a reasonable amount of time. It also can depend on the liquidity of the house. Most of us pay asap so we can get our stuff as fast as possible however I would imagine that some people may not be as great at paying their bills timely as others. Bidding under the influence (of stupidity, giddiness, or their drink of choice) does compromise one's ability to pay timely. I think the US has over 1 trillion in consumer credit card debt so spending beyond our means seems acceptable...I am not part of that group, thankfully.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:07 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Please let me clarify that no explicit promises were made by LOTG, but simply implications from LOTG as to when checks would go out that sort of evolved into being later than what was originally told. Again, my aim is not giving a negative review of LOTG, but to ask others their experiences, the norms, an what to expect as this was my first larger consignment. A full review of my first consignment will be coming following the completion of this, my first consignment.

Last edited by anchorednw; 04-26-2024 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:27 PM
Robert J. Miller

I am waiting for my first ever consignor check as well. I consigned to REA when I dropped off two cards in March at the Oaks, PA. show for their March Encore auction. At the time, they told me it could be up to 6-8 weeks for payment but generally payment is made within 4 weeks. So I should have it any time now.

Does anyone know if you can drop off cards at their location in Chester NJ? I have a 1948 Leaf Warren Spahn PSA 5.5 just graded and a 1948 Swell Jackie Robinson Rookie PSA A for a future auction.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-26-2024, 03:38 PM
Jamie

Never mind

Last edited by Schlesinj; 04-26-2024 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Could not find
Old 04-26-2024, 03:54 PM
Albert Bee

Default auction s

Funny, seems when you buy something in a major auction. They want payment almost immediately
Old 04-26-2024, 03:58 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Sterling turns over their auctions quickly both in terms of shipping and consignments.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:58 PM

Sometimes you just gotta call the AH and say, "Send the _______ check"
Old 04-26-2024, 06:10 PM
Melissa

My experience with Heritage has been to get paid 4-6 weeks later. In the co-signer section of both the website and app it says when the check should arrive by, when the close-out happens by, etc.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2024, 06:17 PM
Charles Jackson

The most recent LOTG consigner agreement I have (from June 2023) states "Providing LOTG has received payment from the buyer, you will be paid within forty-fve (45) days afer the closing date of the auction in which your item(s) sell."

Their last auction closed on 3/30, which was 27 days ago. Am I missing something?

Last edited by cgjackson222; 04-26-2024 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:18 PM
Jerry Tate

Default 30 days

I think 30 days should be reasonable...I've had some take longer...I recently consigned a few that took a while longer for the first auction but the second check came much quicker...doesn't hurt to call sometimes...if people are posting your cards on Net54 that is a sign the auction house needs to pay...Jerry
Old 04-26-2024, 06:47 PM
Fred

What is the normal time that an AH requires payments for winning lots? If it's two weeks then 30 days would seem like a reasonable amount of time for a consignors payment.

What happens if an AH gets stiffed on the winning bid or the bidder is just really late in paying? I'm guessing that could lead to delays in consignor payment.

I've never looked, but do the AHs post consignor payment information on their websites for people looking to consign with them?
Old 04-26-2024, 07:19 PM
Brian Dalrymple

LOTG has reached out to help clarify. Special thanks to those who reached out to Al to help speed along the response

My understanding was that checks would be sent out 2 weeks after the invoice date (days following auction close). That would have been last week. When in fact, what I have been told is they begin issuing checks then, but it can last up to 30 days after auction closes...so 2+ weeks of consistently sending checks, of which yours could be 1st in line, last in line or anywhere in between apparently.

My guess is that this staggered approach is largely due to a cash flow issue and not wanting hundreds of thousands of dollars in checks cashing at once in conjunction with a variety of payment that has been collected.

The "30 days" after auction close seems appropriate enough. I suppose a little more transparency in the difference between "checks going out 2 weeks after auction close/invoice date" and "checks starting to go out and continuing on as late as 30 days of auction close/invoice date." was what I was after.

Being this was my first time submitting a sizeable ($25-50K) consignment, I was eager to understand how it would all unfold.

Again, a review of my first experience will be forthcoming upon completion of this one. I am already looking toward my next consignment, where I might consign and using initial experiences to shape my future choices. More to come.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:31 PM
Charles Jackson

The question has been posed about what your consignment agreement states.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Scott Russell

never mind, asked an answered
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 04-26-2024 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:29 AM
Larry P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Sometimes you just gotta call the AH and say, "Send the _______ check"
Assuming they answer the phone.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:38 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Over the last several years I have consigned items varying in value from the hundreds to the high tens of thousands of dollars to 4-5 major AHs . Some of the consignments have been 1 lot and some up to 7-8 lots for that specific single auction . I have found that in all cases I have been paid within 45 days and most times within 30 days after the auction ends. I have found no difference in which AH pays faster BUT I have found that the more lots I have in an auction the longer it takes to get paid and unfortunately that makes sense since the more lots in an auction the more payers involved and the wait can be longer. I consider the wait to be the cost of doing business.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:49 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Man… The AH consignment process really takes a lot of time.

Obviously its very item specific but a lot of stuff isnt worth the months its takes to drop off item/get paid.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:55 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post

Obviously its very item specific but a lot of stuff isnt worth the months its takes to drop off item/get paid.
In many instances, auction houses will pay a % in advance
W/ the REA auction that ended last weekend, I rec'd $$$ months ago on my lots
Old 04-27-2024, 11:24 AM
Brian Dalrymple

*Update* I did receive an email this morning that my check is being shipped and a statement of my consignment and breakdown of commission/fees for al my items sold.

There was one error with a miscalculation of one larger item with an agreed upon higher commission (in contract) that failed to pay me the agreed upon amount, so unfortunately this isn't quite the end of it yet.

Old 04-27-2024, 11:34 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorednw View Post
*Update* I did receive an email this morning that my check is being shipped and a statement of my consignment and breakdown of commission/fees for al my items sold.

There was one error with a miscalculation of one larger item with an agreed upon higher commission (in contract) that failed to pay me the agreed upon amount, so unfortunately this isn't quite the end of it yet.
Geez...what in the world?!?!?
Old 04-27-2024, 11:37 AM
Bill Roberts

Stay strong. Keep fighting the good fight.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post

It is if you don't plan on paying taxes as they do not report the sales and send out 1099s.

I can easily see it taking 45 days for the AH to payout. There is a lot of stuff that goes on between the end of auction and sending of checks. When I owned a business I noticed almost every time the ones that wanted paid instantly was also the ones took forever to pay when they owed money.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:41 PM

Default Consignment Checks

Cannot speak for others as I have never used them. I consign only to Brockelman Auctions have always had a very good response and been paid very promptly in each case. I just wish they would hold more than two per year. But not almost weekly such as some others do
Sealmark
Old 04-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I've consigned with Al at LOTG several times and have been extremely happy with the results. He is one of the few people in this hobby with the utmost of integrity, ask him to tell you the story about the time a consigners card dropped behind the desk and didn't show up until he moved his offices.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-27-2024, 07:41 PM
Scott Russell

I'll admit to screwing up a consignment check occasionally and having to issue a correction. Usually on a special deal when I forget to override the default.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-27-2024, 10:41 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Brian—There is no one in the hobby more honest than Al. I feel 100% certain that you will get everything you deserve. The important question is were you happy with the realizations on your items. If you were I would continue consigning to Al. I do and have absolutely no regrets.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:20 PM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Brian—There is no one in the hobby more honest than Al. I feel 100% certain that you will get everything you deserve. The important question is were you happy with the realizations on your items. If you were I would continue consigning to Al. I do and have absolutely no regrets.
Yes, I was and probably will again at some point. Again, my aim wasn't to "call out" or paint LOTG in a negative light, but to get feedback. One thing is for certain, Al is very passionate about what he's built.

Last edited by anchorednw; 04-27-2024 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:54 AM
Al Richter

If I checked out tomorrow my wife knows to call Al. I have complete trust in him for his honesty, fairness and professionalism
Old 04-28-2024, 11:31 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
If I checked out tomorrow my wife knows to call Al. I have complete trust in him for his honesty, fairness and professionalism
Same here!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 04-28-2024, 08:08 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

With Sterling I like to get my payments out as soon as I can so I can move on to the next auction. That being said, I try to get payments out 2-3 weeks after the end of the auction. If the consignment gets payments earlier I will get the checks out shortly after that.

Payments sometimes can get to be tricky and cause some hassles.

Overall in my almost 12 years their has been only a small % of non payers.

Lee
Old 04-28-2024, 09:04 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sports Auctions View Post
With Sterling I like to get my payments out as soon as I can so I can move on to the next auction. That being said, I try to get payments out 2-3 weeks after the end of the auction. If the consignment gets payments earlier I will get the checks out shortly after that.

Payments sometimes can get to be tricky and cause some hassles.

Overall in my almost 12 years their has been only a small % of non payers.

Lee
There's a list in the hobby that is really not that difficult to parse if you are a member here. You, Al, Brian, Scott, etc.
Forgive me for calling out all the good guys but that's what comes to mind.

-
Old 04-28-2024, 09:39 PM

Default Consignor checks

At www.AllSportsAuctions.com
consignor checks go out 30 days after the auction. If the consignor needs payment sooner, and has told me early enough, I have paid as soon as one week after the auction (immediately after the buyer pays).
Sincerely,
Andy Sandler andy@allsportsauctions.com (914) 388-2940
Old 04-28-2024, 11:14 PM

Al (LOTG) is as solid as it gets.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:08 AM
Sonny Smith

To echo others - Al runs a great honest auction company at LOTG.

Consigner payout terms are typically specified in the consigner contract and would be known to any consigner before submitting a consignment.

The most common payout terms in the auction industry are 30 to 45 days after an auction -some pay quicker, some take longer. Again, payout terms are typically specified in the contract and known before a consigner agrees to the contract. And sometimes there are caveats to the terms - non-paying bidders, delayed payment from buyers, and other unforeseen "issues" could alter the payout schedule.

And sometimes clerical errors can be made in a payout as most are automated, and any errors are typically cleared up quickly once an auction house is notified of the error.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:41 AM

Something to keep in mind is card receipt by the buyer, which depending on coast, could be several days to work through the mail system and held up over weekends sometimes.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:33 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunswickreeves View Post
Something to keep in mind is card receipt by the buyer, which depending on coast, could be several days to work through the mail system and held up over weekends sometimes.
I wouldn't think an AH would have to wait until the buyer receives something before they pay the consigner. Once the item is paid for by the buyer, if it gets lost during shipment to the buyer, that's between the AH and the buyer not the consigner.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I received my LOTG consignment check yesterday. Everything adds up.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:44 PM
Jerry Tate

Default E-check

Some auction houses issue e-checks now which means the check should get to consignors quicker...not slower...Jerry
Old 05-01-2024, 07:32 PM
Robert J. Miller

I got an email today for REA for the March Encore auction. It was an echeck. I will look at it tomorrow to see what I need to do.
Bob
Old 05-01-2024, 07:45 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
I got an email today for REA for the March Encore auction. It was an echeck. I will look at it tomorrow to see what I need to do.
Bob
The only thing you need to do is print it and deposit it, its a nice technological perk.

-
Old 05-02-2024, 05:16 AM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
Some auction houses issue e-checks now which means the check should get to consignors quicker...not slower...Jerry
I love the e-checks from REA. I can print, sign, and deposit to my credit union with mobile banking right from my desk. It doesn't get any easier than that.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:12 PM
Robert J. Miller

Casey2296 and LEHR.....thanks! I am going to print it now and deposit.
Thanks gain!
Bob