NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 03-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Noel

Default Johann Cruyff--A Tribute

The soccer world lost an absolute treasure this week with the passing of "The Flying Dutchman". The centerpiece of architect Rinus Michels "Total Football" where teammates rotate seamlessly through every position, Cruyff led the Clockwork Orange to the 1974 World Cup final by dismantling South American giants Argentina and Brazil. He patented his signature move, the "Cruyff Turn" in which he would fake a pass one way and then about face with his back heel in the opposite direction. He brought much needed excitement and enthusiasm to a game that was mired in physicality and defense. According to Cruyff, "You play soccer with your head, your feet are there to help you along". As innovative and creative a player as we have ever seen, Julian Laurens summed up his legacy well:

"Cruyff revolutionized football; he was football and was applauded so much through his career, both as manager and player, that it felt far more appropriate to do it this way. So we clapped hard. You could see tears on people's cheeks and in their eyes. You could feel the emotion rising, heavy in everyone's heart. A beautiful tifo was displayed by some fans. On the big screen, a photo of the great man was displayed. I can't recall a game being interrupted to pay tribute to someone and then to start again. The Amsterdam Arena did it Friday night. And it was beautiful. Cruyff might not have liked the idea of stopping the flow and momentum of a football game, but he deserved a unique farewell and he got it."

Three times European footballer of the year (1971, 1973, 1974)

1x IFFHS European Player of the Century, Johann Cruyff was the most gifted European player of his generation, and probably of all time.

He truly made the beautiful game, beautiful.

I have included a few of my favorites from El Flaco--feel free to share stories and favorite cards as well.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Ray Novak

Default Johan Cruyff RIP

I was lucky enough to get his autograph when he played for the Washington Diplomats of the old NASL. He was one of the many great foreign stars who signed for me, and was truly amazing to watch on the field. We were blessed for a short time in the US to see players like Cruyff, Georgie Best, Pele, Beckenbauer, Gerd Mueller, Marinho, Banks...the list goes on even if they were in the twilight of their careers. I will never forget Best scoring from a corner kick, or Pele scoring from a set piece from a free kick from just inside midfield. There are a few like them now, most notably Messi, but very few. Yes, we were blessed indeed. Though Johan didn't believe in God, say a prayer for him to yours tonight.

Last edited by powderfinger; 03-30-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:41 PM

Legend. RIP.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Noel

Well said Ray and awesome story. I would have loved to have met him one day. It is a void that will be very difficult if not impossible to fill.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:14 AM
Noel

Default El Clasico Tribute

One more from the tribute yesterday before El Clasico...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg johan-cruyff-tribute-barcelona.jpg (83.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Cruyff.jpg (46.8 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by esehombre; 04-03-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:09 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default The Dutch Master

I was fortunate enough to have most of the great players that graced the NASL.
If not during their playing days, then subsequently in my travels.

My list includes -

Gordon Banks
Johan Cruyff
Giorgio Chinaglia (on a trading card)
Frank Beckenbauer (on a Cosmos contract)
George Best (twice)
Rodney Marsh (on his biography book)
Pele'

I am always looking for pre-war soccer autographs.