NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-16-2016, 10:30 AM

Default Interesting article claims Ty Cobb not racist / dirty / murderer

I read this and found it very interesting - would be a shame if, after all these years, he was not what many reported about him!

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/who-w...w-thats-wrong/
Old 08-16-2016, 11:06 AM
Jason Albregts

Very interesting.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Mark

I always felt the Al Stump biography on Cobb was largely fictional. Just look at all the handwritten letters he sent to fans asking for autographs later in life (which this article eludes to). I've seen dozen of these letters and all have been cordial and polite.

Thanks for posting. I now have a new book to read...
Old 08-16-2016, 02:17 PM

He was by no means a racist, not even in his own time. Ty Cobb set up the Ty Cobb Scholarship fund, which has always funded largely African American students from rural Georgia. It continues to fund education for kids today. Not only that, but when Cobb bought up huge plots of land in Georgia he did it with the express purpose of renting out cheap housing, again for mostly minority citizens. Here is his quote about Jackie Robinson in 1952: “The negro has the right to compete in sports and who’s to say they have not?”
Old 08-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Nick Barnes

I think it's been pretty well established that Al Stump used Cobb as a launching pad for his literary career and pretty much made up 99% of the more lurid tales.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:11 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
He was by no means a racist, not even in his own time. Ty Cobb set up the Ty Cobb Scholarship fund, which has always funded largely African American students from rural Georgia. It continues to fund education for kids today. Not only that, but when Cobb bought up huge plots of land in Georgia he did it with the express purpose of renting out cheap housing, again for mostly minority citizens. Here is his quote about Jackie Robinson in 1952: “The negro has the right to compete in sports and who’s to say they have not?”
+1, and Mark is right as well. Al Stump was a vampire, he even had Cobb sign tons of balls for him as they worked together. Cobb was very generous and gave a lot of money to numerous charities. He was extremely aggressive when it came to baseball, and a lot of his baseball stories are true. He would fight anybody at the blink of the eye, but he did have a lot of good qualities that were not reflected in Stump's book or the 1994 movie...
Old 08-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
+1, and Mark is right as well. Al Stump was a vampire, he even had Cobb sign tons of balls for him as they worked together. Cobb was very generous and gave a lot of money to numerous charities. He was extremely aggressive when it came to baseball, and a lot of his baseball stories are true. He would fight anybody at the blink of the eye, but he did have a lot of good qualities that were not reflected in Stump's book or the 1994 movie...
They only hinted at this, but it turns out the Cobb was supporting 5 or 6 other HOF players who had fallen on hard times, all without using this for personal gain via the press.

Stump's book was a tabloid quality hack job.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:29 AM
T!M R10rd@n

That is a great read. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:23 AM
Brian Macdonald

Nice to see the truth. Beats lies any time.

Hopefully Cobb can be rightfully represented as he should be going forward.

Flawed. Not perfect. Like the rest of us.

Not a monster.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 AM

Since posting on other sites, several other people have brought up lots of information stating that the guy who did his bio was apparently a hack. Such a shame to have someone's name ruined because of someone else for all these years. I know I thought of him poorly all this time.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Bill Gregory

Sad that one writer can hold such sway over the reputation of a man. I'm glad to see that this slight is being corrected. Cobb might have been surly at times on the diamond, but I think that was the competitor in him coming out. And, I'm sure he did and said some things he wishes he hadn't, things we haven't heard of. But, isn't that life?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Thanks for posting this, Mouschi. Glad and relieved to hear the truth is painting a much better and kinder picture of Mr. Cobb. Some of this I knew, but not all by any means. A big thank you, bro, for posting this.

A complex gentleman, Ty. Many tragic forces had an indelible affect upon the man. It is most unfortunate that Stump's book was taken as hard fact at the time, and for many years, with the result that a zillion fans tarred and feathered Ty in their hearts and minds. ---Brian Powell
Old 08-18-2016, 02:17 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Sad that one writer can hold such sway over the reputation of a man. I'm glad to see that this slight is being corrected. Cobb might have been surly at times on the diamond, but I think that was the competitor in him coming out. And, I'm sure he did and said some things he wishes he hadn't, things we haven't heard of. But, isn't that life?
I have always thought it was a big red flag that stump waited for Cobb to die to publish his book. The movie makes it out like he was still there writing with Cobb when he died but the truth is it was several years later when the book came out. I wouldn't be surprised if Stump and his editor decided that there wasn't enough "meat" and so they manufactured some to generate sales.

sad really.......
Old 08-18-2016, 05:02 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
I have always thought it was a big red flag that stump waited for Cobb to die to publish his book. The movie makes it out like he was still there writing with Cobb when he died but the truth is it was several years later when the book came out. I wouldn't be surprised if Stump and his editor decided that there wasn't enough "meat" and so they manufactured some to generate sales.

sad really.......
+1.....Stump was a douche bag.....
Old 08-18-2016, 06:07 PM
Don

Very interesting article. Its great that Cobbs image is being restored. Its also a shame that too many will still be unaware and will continue believing the lies.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Nick Barnes

One thing present day folks tend to fail at is perspective. If you judge those of prior generations through the prism of the present you are going to have a skewed perception of their persona.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:56 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
One thing present day folks tend to fail at is perspective. If you judge those of prior generations through the prism of the present you are going to have a skewed perception of their persona.

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-19-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:42 PM
Bill Gregory

Nick, your posts are so much more on point when the topic isn't Jim Kaat. Cheers!

Quote:

sad really.......
Quote:

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:49 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Nick, your posts are so much more on point when the topic isn't Jim Kaat. Cheers!
"why I oughta........"

P.S. I am leaving that subject alone on here, it got too heated and I am not here to make anyone mad at me.