NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2013, 11:03 AM
der3k in@ba

Default Graded Card Price Guides

Hey everyone. I'm another one of those collectors just getting back into the hobby (about a 10 year hiatus). My question is - what do you guys use to get a gauge for how much others have valued a particular graded card you are looking at? Based upon board lurking it seems that cardtarget and VCP are the main ones but am wondering if there's something else I haven't unearthed.

I'm referring to online auction results. I have researched it a bit and here's what I've found:

ebay - only 3 months history
cardtarget - I can find only a handful of sets (but if you were going to pick vintage sets, I think they've nailed the most popular ones)
VCP - pretty comprehensive it seems
cardpricer - haven't read much about them.
sportscarddatabase.com - signed up but I got a message saying their price history is only available to their developers or some crap like that.
zistle - does not distinguish graded

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Mike C@.v3

Hey Snooker,

I mainly use eBay completed listings and cardtarget. VCP is another source that quite a few people use. Once you become more involved and consistent with buying whatever it is you collect, it will not take long before you can use your experience as a guide too.

The hardest prices to gauge are the tough, rare, and scarce type of cards because they may not come around too often to get an accurate price on their past sales. I also use friends to lean on if I need help....that's always a good source to put in your back pocket!

Good luck!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 04-01-2013, 11:40 PM
der3k in@ba

Hi FH - thank you for taking the time to respond. Sounds like I've got my bases covered!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:37 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I mostly use eBay past history and CardTarget, but Google is also very good for finding prices at various auction houses that may be missed or not covered by CardTarget and fall outside the three month eBay window. That is especially helpful when you are dealing with something like postcards that are rare and don't come up for auction very often.

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-02-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 AM
Chris

As a starting point, I use an old copy of the Sports Collectors Digest to get a sense of raw card pricing. My guide is a bit old, so I then cross reference it with eBay completed sales to get an accurate impression of the current market for raw and graded cards. I chase after some seldom seen cards, so it helps to have the raw price guide to get a sense of whether the 1 or 2 completed sales are anomalies or within what I consider an appropriate range.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

All the above are great recommendations. Having a good base of knowledge of previous sales for price ranges will save you from someone trying to bend you over on a card.....believe me, there's WAY too many of these assholes out there slowly killing the hobby unfortunately.