NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Default T205 Patrick Moran "stray line"

Posted By: Marc

I was very happy to pick up the T205 Patrick Moran with the stray line of type. Definitely a big key towards completing my set. This may already be common knowledge, but the "stray line" is the last line of type from the back of the A.A. Mattern card. I'm assuming this card was adjacent to the Moran on the printing sheet. I also wonder if perhaps there is an undiscovered Mattern card missing this line of type. I am nothing resembling an expert on turn of the century printing techniques so it may not even work that way but given the scarcity of the Moran variation, it doesn't seem unreasonable that an unknown Mattern variation might also exist. Any thoughts from you T205 aficionados?

Old 01-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Turner Engle

Marc,

Although I do not know much about the Mattern, congrats on picking up the Stray line. Definitely not an easy card to get your hands on.

Turner

Old 01-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

No example of Mattern with text missing has been identified, but I admit I could never satisfactorily explain how that line ended up in such an obscure place as beneath Moran's statistics.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

My theory is sort of simple...they probably used moveable type to print the backs first. It was just probably an error in removing the type quickly noticed after a few printings. This would explain some of the other errors like the Wilhelm and Latham...and the different typefaces for Blackburne and Hoblitzells.

No Mattern error missing type exists.

Joshua

Old 01-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That might better explain the Wilhelm error, where the "r" just fell out of place for the bulk of the print run. But on the Moran, two lines of Mattern's text would have had to have fallen off the press, picked up by the operator, and reinserted randomly back on the printing press. Apparently it did happen, but it is a very odd error indeed.