NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-09-2018, 01:01 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default All-Star Question:

This one may take research from the likes of Bill Gregory:

What player has been his team's sole representative the most times?

Now, the rosters change frequently after the initial selection announcements what with minor injuries or pitchers being unavailable - so leeway is given.

The answer, which I do not know, can be either voted in or selected and he doesn't have to play in any all-star game.

My first thought was of Dale Murphy during the pre-1991 Braves' days, but Niekro was around for much, if not all, of Murphy's career.

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-09-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:39 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Good question - those Brave teams of the mid-80s also had Bob Horner, I believe he was an all-star a couple of years.

My first thought was for the Expos from that time frame, but they had Raines, Dawson and Gary Carter.

Without looking up the correct answer on google, my guess would be Ernie Banks - consistently great player for some bad teams.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I thought about Banks too but he had Santo on the Cubbies.

My guess is Al Kaline.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:10 AM
Sam Lemoine

Perhaps. I was thinking Rickey Henderson. The A's weren't particularly great in the late 70's and early 80's, and Rickey was. Just ask him.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:30 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
I thought about Banks too but he had Santo on the Cubbies.

My guess is Al Kaline.
For the Tigers it's Cecil Fielder - only representative in '92 and '93. Kaline was never the Tigers only rep. They were good for most of his career.

I got Tony Gwynn 5 times the only Padres rep. (86, 87, 94, 95, 96) Beat that.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:22 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
For the Tigers it's Cecil Fielder - only representative in '92 and '93. Kaline was never the Tigers only rep. They were good for most of his career.

I'm surprised it's not Hoffman for the Padres.

For the Indians, my guess is Bob Feller.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 07-10-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
This one may take research from the likes of Bill Gregory:

What player has been his team's sole representative the most times?
=
Fun question, Raymond. You make me feel like such a stat nerd, lol. It's ok, because I am one. I take Bill James' book with me to the restroom a few times a day, and read it as soon as I wipe the sleep out of my eyes in the afternoon. I've learning SABR like the WOPR in Wargames.

Maybe I'll commission the city of Flower Mound to put together a Bat Signal for you to shine when one of these questions comes up, only instead of a winged bat, I imagine it would look like a Louisville Slugger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Tony Gwynn wasn't the only Padres representative at the 1996 All Star Game. Ken Caminiti played the whole season for the Padres. He was an All Star, and the National League MVP.

By the way, I'm trying to figure out how the 1985 Padres got seven All Stars going 83-79. I know they won the National League Pennant the year before, but talk about teams that drastically underperformed!

Their All Star selections in '85:

Steve Garvey
Rich "Goose" Gossage
Tony Gwynn
LaMarr Hoyt
Terry Kennedy
Graig Nettles
Garry Templeton

~~~~~~~~~

The name that immediately popped into my mind, and new leader, is Ralph Kiner. He was the only representative on a horrible Pirates team five times. I thought it would have been six, but alas, three Pirates were sent in 1948. They were 83-71 that year, and he was joined by guys named Frankie Gustine (who?) and Elmer Riddle (who part two?). Gustine was inexplicably the lone Pirates All Star in 1947, but I think somebody mixed up the ballot counting. Gustine hit a respectable .297 for the 62-92 Pirates, but Kiner wasn't voted to the game. How, I'll never know. Generally, guys who score 118 runs, tally 177 hits, 51 home runs, 127 RBI, 98 walks, 361 total bases, hit .313 and slash .417/.639/1.056 get to go to the midseason classic. Kiner led the NL in home runs, slugging, OPS, total bases, and OPS +. Not only was he not an All Star, he finished sixth(!) in the MVP.

He was the only Pirate to go in the following years:

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
By the way, I'm trying to figure out how the 1985 Padres got seven All Stars going 83-79. I know they won the National League Pennant the year before, but talk about teams that drastically underperformed!

Steve Garvey
Rich "Goose" Gossage
Tony Gwynn
LaMarr Hoyt
Terry Kennedy
Graig Nettles
Garry Templeton
I would flip that question around.

How did the Padres go 83-79 with 7 All Stars?

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 07-16-2018, 09:34 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:

Steve Garvey
Rich "Goose" Gossage
Tony Gwynn
LaMarr Hoyt
Terry Kennedy
Graig Nettles
Garry Templeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I would flip that question around.

How did the Padres go 83-79 with 7 All Stars?
Could be worse, My Tigers won the series in 84' and finished 84-77.

They had 6 All-stars in 85' -
Lou Whitaker
Lance Parrish (replaced by Fisk for injury)
Willie Hernandez
Jack Morris
Dan Petry
Alan Trammell

Also, Darrell Evans finished 14th in AL All Star voting, Kirk Gibson 18th.

Yeah, that was a let down year.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Fun question, Raymond. You make me feel like such a stat nerd, lol. It's ok, because I am one. I take Bill James' book with me to the restroom a few times a day, and read it as soon as I wipe the sleep out of my eyes in the afternoon. I've learning SABR like the WOPR in Wargames.

Maybe I'll commission the city of Flower Mound to put together a Bat Signal for you to shine when one of these questions comes up, only instead of a winged bat, I imagine it would look like a Louisville Slugger.

Tony Gwynn wasn't the only Padres representative at the 1996 All Star Game. Ken Caminiti played the whole season for the Padres. He was an All Star, and the National League MVP.

Steve Garvey
Rich "Goose" Gossage
Tony Gwynn
LaMarr Hoyt
Terry Kennedy
Graig Nettles
Garry Templeton

~~~~~~~~~

The name that immediately popped into my mind, and new leader, is Ralph Kiner. He was the only representative on a horrible Pirates team five times. I thought it would have been six, but alas, three Pirates were sent in 1948. They were 83-71 that year, and he was joined by guys named Frankie Gustine (who?) and Elmer Riddle (who part two?). Gustine was inexplicably the lone Pirates All Star in 1947, but I think somebody mixed up the ballot counting. Gustine hit a respectable .297 for the 62-92 Pirates, but Kiner wasn't voted to the game. How, I'll never know. Generally, guys who score 118 runs, tally 177 hits, 51 home runs, 127 RBI, 98 walks, 361 total bases, hit .313 and slash .417/.639/1.056 get to go to the midseason classic. Kiner led the NL in home runs, slugging, OPS, total bases, and OPS +. Not only was he not an All Star, he finished sixth(!) in the MVP.

Bill- Elmer Riddle was the best from my hometown the first half of the 20th Century. We have since produced Frank Thomas and Tim Hudson, but Elmer had a couple of nice seasons (albeit with the Reds) 'back in the day'. No (?) about it. Nineteen Wins and the ERA title in 1941 ; 21 Wins in 1943.

With the Pirates is '48, Riddle was 9-4 with a 2.66 ERA in 15 Starts with 11 CGs and 3 Shutouts at the break for a team that was 24-20.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-13-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Actually, Murry Dickson also played in the 1953 All-Star game for Pittsburgh. Got the save, a knock and RBI.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:33 AM
Scott Russell

I would guess someone from the expansion teams like Dave Stieb, or whoever they picked from those awful Mariners teams.

EDIT: Looks like 4 out of 7 of his appearances he was the Blue Jays only rep. Damaso Garcia (really?) was on two of the teams Stieb was on and Kelly Gruber was on one.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-18-2018 at 04:44 AM.