NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Adam

Default 64 Topps Card: Fake, Miscut or Trimmed?

I received this card in the mail after having won it in a recent auction. I thought the bottom edge looked a little funny in the original pic, but in my experience, camera phones have a tendency to make the edges of cards appear rounded at times even though they're perfectly straight.

Well, after it arrived, I could immediately see that there is crescent-shaped curvature on the bottom left of the card. I have compared it to a 64 Killebrew which I know to be legit for comparison. You can see that the AL Bombers card has the same length as the Killer, but is slightly wider except for where that curvature comes in at the bottom. The coloring on the back is lighter on the AL Bombers card as well. But otherwise, the cards have the same thickness, the edges appear to be the same while looking through my magnifying glass, and the cardboard stock looks and feels the same. Even where the cut is weird on the AL Bombers card, it doesn't appear sharp like a razor was taken to it. It has the same consistency there as the other edges.

I'm wondering if the weird cut could have been done at the Topps factory since the card is slightly wider overall and the cut is uneven. Or if this is an outright fake, or if someone cut it themselves. I'm just disappointed about the card, and know very little about this kind of stuff. I didn't pay a lot for the card, but I hope I wasn't completely ripped off with a fake or something.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:53 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

100% real
100% bad factory cut

It happened a lot back then through the late 70's.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:58 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Also unlikely to get anything more than "AUTHENTIC" by any grading company. It's still a nice card; usually that one is horribly off-center.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:22 PM
James
James Kin.chen

I would be more concerned with the cut along the long edge where the player's names are
Old 06-19-2018, 04:26 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
I would be more concerned with the cut along the long edge where the player's names are
That's the one he is talking about.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:30 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
You've never seen a Topps miscut?
Old 06-19-2018, 05:05 PM
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
100% real
100% bad factory cut

It happened a lot back then through the late 70's.
Agreed. I've come across quite a few from the 60s and 70s over the years when buying large lots.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:58 AM
Adam

Appreciate the insights, fellas, thanks. I'm a fairly casual collector getting back into the hobby, so it's still a learning experience.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:17 AM
J0hn Collin$

It looks real to me. Even if I were convinced it was a fake, I would have a hard time understanding why someone would bother faking a '64 Killebrew and then roughing it up to mid-grade. I will agree with others that really odd factory cuts back then were somewhat common.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:19 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I would have a hard time understanding why someone would bother faking a '64 Killebrew and then roughing it up to mid-grade.
The Killebrew is not the card in question. It was only shown for size comparison to the AL Bombers card. Of all these wavy border cards I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot), all are always oversized.

My best guess is the cards with the wavy borders are usually on the edge of the sheet and the sheet slips during the cutting process. It stands to reason as they cut closer to the edge of the sheet, the sheets would become less stable and be prone to shifting.

4th row, last card on right.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-20-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:07 PM
J0hn Collin$

Ah, sorry. I was reading too fast. They all look legit to me.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I have a beautiful 1967 Mel Queen 'incomplete stat line' variation card I sent in to be graded and it came back not graded with a "MISCUT" designation sticker. I had no clue what the heck was going on as the card is clearly not trimmed, so I did some research and found out that PSA marks some cards that way that have 'bad' factory cuts. Sure enough, when I put the card on its side on a flat surface, a tiny bit of sunlight poked through. It has the tiniest of wavy cuts on the one side, so in effect, it's actually a hair larger than it should be. Although more obvious, I'm thinking your Mantle suffers from the same problem.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.