NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2012, 10:40 AM

Default Consignors:: At what point do you get pissed when not paid by an auction house??

Actually a 2 part question I guess

When do you normally expect to be paid after an auction ends??

After how long of not being paid would you be quite pissed off ???

PS the auction house is irrelevant at this point since I figure my question is for consignors' expectations of any/all auction houses

thanks for all opinions Bill Latzko
Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Matt

I expect to be paid within 2 months. If 2 months go by and there is no communication from the auction house I would be angry.

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM

It varies from house to house, sometimes it's spelled out in the agreement, sometimes not. Probably a question that should have been asked prior to consigning rather than after.

We have always paid consignors the second Monday following the auction, so technically 11 business days. Which is one of the reasons we have so many repeat consignors.

Scott
B&L Auctions

www.b-lauctions.com
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I usually figure a check will show up in a month to six weeks, though I have not consigned large items...usually $500 to $1000, usually with the mid sized auction houses. I had one that took longer, but it was on an auction that really went for probably four times what I or the auction house thought it would go for so I don't blame them for delaying payment until they were double sure everything was good.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:13 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think it is two months. I've consigned once with Heritage for an auction that ended Nov 10-11, and according to the contract, the settlement date would be Dec 27th. I called them on Dec 28th since I had not received payment yet, but they basically said they mailed it out on Dec 27th, so I would receive it the following week, which I did.

I've also consigned with Goodwin twice. The first time, I actually purchased more than I consigned, so I just had my payment partially offset by my consignments. The second time, it also took a couple of months or a little longer, but much of that was because Bill was working on selling some of my lots that did not have bids, and needed to wait an additional time for those payments to come in.

In summary, I wish both auction houses would send payment sooner. However, it was nothing that I didn't expect, so I was satisfied with both, and I would consign with both places again. (I would probably lean towards Goodwin, however, since they don't have a seller's commission.)
Old 09-10-2012, 03:15 PM

Also remember it can depend on how long it takes for the winner to pay. If the winner is a late payer, that will slow your payment and that is not the auction house's fault.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
I expect to be paid within 2 months.
HOLY Sh$t!!! I'm sorry but what a joke!!! How/why should getting "your" money take so long They should be sending out payments no later than 14 days after a check clears or payment has been made (if M.O. or wire trans etc.) Just like they require payment on won items!!

And sellers get mad when people on ebay don't pay in 5 days..

Now I know why everyone keeps selling on ebay, even if they hate all the rules/changes...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM
pete ullman

"Also remember it can depend on how long it takes for the winner to pay. If the winner is a late payer, that will slow your payment and that is not the auction house's fault."

This seems to be an issue with some of the bigger auction houses...surprisingly...it seems some of the "whales" take a long...long time to pay their bb card bills...which in turn will affect how quickly a consigner is paid.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:01 PM

Default What if the winner doesn't pay....

I do not consign to auction houses so I'm not sure how this works but.....

What if the winning bidder of your item doesn't pay......does the auction house eat it and pay you the money from the item? Or do they return the item?

How often does this happen?
Old 09-10-2012, 05:19 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-guy View Post
HOLY Sh$t!!! I'm sorry but what a joke!!! How/why should getting "your" money take so long They should be sending out payments no later than 14 days after a check clears or payment has been made (if M.O. or wire trans etc.) Just like they require payment on won items!!

Now I know why everyone keeps selling on ebay, even if they hate all the rules/changes...
I have never consigned anything to an auction house, but I was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
"Also remember it can depend on how long it takes for the winner to pay. If the winner is a late payer, that will slow your payment and that is not the auction house's fault."

This seems to be an issue with some of the bigger auction houses...surprisingly...it seems some of the "whales" take a long...long time to pay their bb card bills...which in turn will affect how quickly a consigner is paid.
And sometimes buyers (some of whom should not be buying in the first place) get their goods, never pay and then are let off the hook for their massive obligations. What a country!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-guy View Post

You need to send high dollar and/or rare cards to the auction houses. There is generally a certain limit that "whales" will pay on ebay and they typically don't scour ebay like the rest of us. For example, a Felix Mendelsohn Ruth went on ebay for ~11K, and then was flipped to Mile High (and after a crossover) went for over 30K.

Last edited by glchen; 09-10-2012 at 07:17 PM.