NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2017, 07:14 PM

Default It is Sickening how badly PWCC Shill Bids!

Simply Sickening.... Every bidder 80% or higher on their auctions, they should be kicked off of ebay!
Old 05-08-2017, 08:03 PM

163 views and no replies, there are a bunch of SHEEP on this chat board!
Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
No, it has just a subject that has been beaten to death lately. There are 2 opinions on this subject. 1) The people that stick up for them. They are paid for their opinion and/or consign to them. 2) Everyone else and they agree with you.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A couple hundred viwes by now. Someone is just sitting there clicking the thread to piss you off .

Last edited by Leon; 05-08-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 PM
J3ff Thr0m

I'm at 76%. Just under your threshold
Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
PWCC fatigue.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Yeah, this topic is stale, but it did raise a new question for me:

How does one tell their own % of bids with a certain seller? I can see others, but not mine.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
No, it has just a subject that has been beaten to death lately. There are 2 opinions on this subject. 1) The people that stick up for them. They are paid for their opinion and/or consign to them. 2) Everyone else and they agree with you.
Beaten to death would be putting it mildly.

The %s mean nothing to me. They sell way more cards than anyone else. And some people like to bid $2 at a time. Whatever. It's the rampant bid retractions that are the telltale sign of shenanigans.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-08-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Yeah, this topic is stale, but it did raise a new question for me:

How does one tell their own % of bids with a certain seller? I can see others, but not mine.
Log out of eBay and then go back to the auction without being signed in. Then you can see your own stats.

I agree that percentages mean nothing. I have a high percentage with PWCC because they have the most auctions. Zero retractions.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:37 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
Log out of eBay and then go back to the auction without being signed in. Then you can see your own stats.

I agree that percentages mean nothing. I have a high percentage with PWCC because they have the most auctions. Zero retractions.
Thanks Dan.

56% with PWCC. 0 lifetime retractions. 0 shill bids.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:02 PM
John Wondowski

Really? I bid with less than ten eBay dealers. What do my stats look like besides the fact I have zero retractions in 18 years. As much as I want to stop fraud and shilling, crying wolf anestitises the problem.

And, yes, I consign to PWCC ......and Probstein, REA, Mile High, brockelman, etc.

Last edited by wondo; 05-08-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default shill bidding

I think its dumb to spend big money on baseball cards
Old 05-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Another one...
Old 05-08-2017, 09:24 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

I have been trying to understand for a couple years why so many folks defend them no matter what. Consignors? Shill bidders? Employees? Family members??? They do have their defenders.

For full disclosure I have never consigned anything with them, but I do bid a couple times a year. I always feel like I did something wrong when I win something and like I need a shower. I am going to try not to win anything anymore, but I am addicted to stuff
Old 05-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
crying wolf anestitises the problem.
I don't know what that is but it sounds kinky...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-08-2017, 10:17 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Beaten to death would be putting it mildly.

The %s mean nothing to me. They sell way more cards than anyone else. And some people like to bid $2 at a time. Whatever. It's the rampant bid retractions that are the telltale sign of shenanigans.
This ++. I think I may be over 80%, but they have the best auctions for my specific want list. And, I don't have all day to spend searching the crap on ebay that is listed wrong so it can hit my search, or the overpriced BINS that clog up the internet.

Percentage of bid means nothing in terms of shilling. Get over it. Go after the retractors, they are the enemy.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:43 PM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I don't know what that is but it sounds kinky...
Adam,
If I could only learn how to spell or hit the F7 key the world would be my oyster. 😁
Old 05-09-2017, 12:54 AM
je.sse @rnot

Many collectors, myself included, bid almost exclusively on pwcc auctions on ebay because most other sellers list high end cards for BIN or obo. This has been discussed many times, and in most cases is not evidence of shill bidding.

I recently sent them a couple of cards and ended up getting more than I would have selling privately, after consignment fees, without the hassle, and without placing any shill bids.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:21 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
I think its dumb to spend big money on baseball cards
I think it's dumb to criticize others for what they spend their money on.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:31 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I agree with the previous posters who commented that percentage of bids with PWCC is not necessarily evidence of shill bidding. I posted on here a few weeks that there were dozens of PWCC auctions that had bidders with many retractions; bidders with many retractions is much more damning, IMO, than bidding mostly with just PWCC.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
I have been trying to understand for a couple years why so many folks defend them no matter what. Consignors? Shill bidders? Employees? Family members??? They do have their defenders.

For full disclosure I have never consigned anything with them, but I do bid a couple times a year. I always feel like I did something wrong when I win something and like I need a shower. I am going to try not to win anything anymore, but I am addicted to stuff
The vast majority of people just want their stuff and dont care if it is shilled or doctored. This is the perfect market for fraud. As for pwcc defenders certainly some of it imo is self interest.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I agree with the previous posters who commented that percentage of bids with PWCC is not necessarily evidence of shill bidding. I posted on here a few weeks that there were dozens of PWCC auctions that had bidders with many retractions; bidders with many retractions is much more damning, IMO, than bidding mostly with just PWCC.
I agree that bid percentage is not 100% evidence anymore. A few years ago I was bored and starting watching the bidding patterns of 3 big eBay sellers. They are also known acquaintances. They started sharing the shilling accounts to drop the %. Shill accounts are not only used to directly bump the price they are also used to get items more views. Notice all those small bids at the beginnings of auctions, most of those are shill bids also.

One of the main things I look for is a very high amount of bids and very low feedback. When you have someone that is placing 100's or 1000's of bids per month and has low feedback #s that is your shill accounts. If you watch certain eBay accounts they stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:29 AM
Sam Lemoine

I don't know if I agree with that. I place a lot of bids every month. Sometimes I will place a lowball bid on an item instead of putting it in my watch list. I do it that way because every now and then I end up winning a $20 item for $3 or something like that. I might only win 10% of what I bid on. But I shill nothing. I've been on ebay for 20 years, so I have feedback near 3000, but I've probably bid on 30,000 items over that time.

Last edited by PowderedH2O; 05-09-2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. I place a lot of bids every month. Sometimes I will place a lowball bid on an item instead of putting it in my watch list. I do it that way because every now and then I end up winning a $20 item for $3 or something like that. I might only win 10% of what I bid on. But I shill nothing. I've been on ebay for 20 years, so I have feedback near 3000, but I've probably bid on 30,000 items over that time.
There are exceptions to almost anything but how is your 3000 feedback considered low?

One shilling account I have watched off and on for a couple years places 1000's of bids per month on a few 100 items and has a feedback of 67.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:03 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Me too. I probably bid on 20 or more items a week that I'd take at the minimum but won't chase. I win them occasionally but mostly don't.

Or not...
Old 05-09-2017, 07:04 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
This ++. I think I may be over 80%, but they have the best auctions for my specific want list. And, I don't have all day to spend searching the crap on ebay that is listed wrong so it can hit my search, or the overpriced BINS that clog up the internet.

Percentage of bid means nothing in terms of shilling. Get over it. Go after the retractors, they are the enemy.
Trying to complete my Gehrig run (should I live long enough) they regularly have cards I am looking in vain for elsewhere on eBay.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
There are 2 opinions on this subject. 1) The people that stick up for them. They are paid for their opinion and/or consign to them. 2) Everyone else and they agree with you.
As with criticism of Mastro too.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Let's please don't forget the lawyers who defend the criminals and fraudsters in our hobby while championing against fraud, LMAO. They should get their accolades too.

Quote:
There are exceptions to almost anything but how is your 3000 feedback considered low?

One shilling account I have watched off and on for a couple years places 1000's of bids per month on a few 100 items and has a feedback of 67.

Last edited by Leon; 05-09-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:56 AM
Jeff Lowe

Default It's ridiculous

To think that sellers shill just for attention or publicity .
Old 05-09-2017, 09:12 AM
Sam Lemoine

If you were to look at someone like Rick Probstein, we know that he starts auctions at 99 cents. To be honest, ANY graded card is worth 99 cents. So, I could see someone bidding on virtually every Probstein auction. If you were the opening bidder at 99 cents, you could bid on thousands of items a year and only win one out of every 200. But, it would be worth your while probably. Hence, high percentage of bids with one seller, with very low feedback.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:20 AM
C@rl P@rk

It's possible my bid percentage is through the roof with them, simply because I haven't participated in many auctions recently and then went after 15-20 cards on Sunday, placing multiple bids on each.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Let's please don't forget the lawyers who defend the criminals and fraudsters in our hobby while championing against fraud, LMAO. They should get their accolades too.
I represented people who were either involved or witnessed fraud in the hobby. Most if not all cooperated with the government in their cases brought against larger fraudsters in the hobby. All of this is in the public record. As you know, the FBI and US Attorney's Office would agree that my clients' cooperation helped them convict miscreants in the hobby. No one paid me to look the other way.

Edited to add: Leon, I just called you on your cell so as to avoid yet another public pissing contest on the page. I'm in my office if you'd like to talk.

Last edited by calvindog; 05-09-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:45 AM

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
It's possible my bid percentage is through the roof with them, simply because I haven't participated in many auctions recently and then went after 15-20 cards on Sunday, placing multiple bids on each.

..up until last night I'd bid on less than a dozen cards , including "make offer" BINS, since January 1st.....then last night I bid on 39 PWCC auctions ; I imagine that skewed my percentage.......but they were 39 snipes , so would that be a factor in the investigation ?

..do "shill" bidders ever make snipe bids ? What if they win ? Isn't it too late to retract if you're the winner ??

Old 05-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..up until last night I'd bid on less than a dozen cards , including "make offer" BINS, since January 1st.....then last night I bid on 39 PWCC auctions ; I imagine that skewed my percentage.......but they were 39 snipes , so would that be a factor in the investigation ?

..do "shill" bidders ever make snipe bids ? What if they win ? Isn't it too late to retract if you're the winner ??

You'll find cards sometimes being relisted by a seller in his next slate of auctions. If that answers your question. Which it does.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
If you were to look at someone like Rick Probstein, we know that he starts auctions at 99 cents. To be honest, ANY graded card is worth 99 cents. So, I could see someone bidding on virtually every Probstein auction. If you were the opening bidder at 99 cents, you could bid on thousands of items a year and only win one out of every 200. But, it would be worth your while probably. Hence, high percentage of bids with one seller, with very low feedback.
Not true. I had a 1970 Topps football common PSA 7 that would not get a .99 cent bid to save my life. I think I dropped it to a penny, and someone bit. It sold for that penny too.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Pwcc

I have won a few items with PWCC. I have lost more. Most of the ones I lose are to legitimate buyers that I recognize by their feedback number or name. I once was bidding on a card that I had seen sell via PWCC 2 weeks prior. The person who won the item the first time was shilling it up. I called PWCC out on it and they retracted all of that bidders activity. I know this happens as I know consigners to Brent who bid on their items. Difficult to police but certainly happens until called out.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Rob

Quote:
Another mystery of eBay...Starts his auctions at $0.99, yet still manages to sell nearly every item for higher price than everyone else. We should all be that good.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
As with criticism of Mastro too.
LOL, like PWCC there are 2 types with Bill also. Those that received "gift" baskets from him and those that did not.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Another mystery of eBay...Starts his auctions at $0.99, yet still manages to sell nearly every item for higher price than everyone else. We should all be that good.
Agreed...sometimes my .99 cent auctions end at .99 cents. Not the case with those guys.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I listed about 40 items last year with PWCC, didn't shill them, and about 39 of them went for weak prices. Go figure. It's crazy . . .when you look at VCP for my sale cards it was like the prior sale was $496 and mine sold for $183. Go figure.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I listed about 40 items last year with PWCC, didn't shill them, and about 39 of them went for weak prices. Go figure. It's crazy . . .when you look at VCP for my sale cards it was like the prior sale was $496 and mine sold for $183. Go figure.
And I am guessing yours did not have 27 bids after two hours either...

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Was reading one set of auction rules recently and it stated that shilling an auction is a violation of a federal crime. I don't know what that law would be. If true, maybe someone should be asking Brent whether he is forwarding on disclosed fraud to his local US Attorneys office.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Thats crazy.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Marc Powers

Default Pwcc shill!!

I bid on a card from PWCC just for the heck of it. Within an hour it was bid up just past my bid and now it is just sitting there with the same bid. Do you think I am going to bid on it again? HA HA!! So what does that tell you???
Old 05-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Crazy. ^^^
I just had my 1st experience with PWCC...won't no more.
I was expecting to fetch more than I could on my own. Might of as gave the T206 Cobb away.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Thats crazy.
My PWCC auction closed at 1130pm on 11/4, the night of the last presidential election. I've bored everyone on the board with my bitching. When I complained to Brent he said me an inane response about I should be happy, everyone was at home. Yep, sure dude. Whatever. Maybe I will be lucky enough to have my next one with you close when there is a nuclear attack underway. Don't insult my intelligence. Since then I've listed six figures of items since with LOTG, Brockelman, and others. Live and learn.

Bottom line: If you are not going to commit fraud or have others do it their auctions get sub par results.

What are they doing that you can't do yourself? They do some 20 second write up and mail it.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-09-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I think we've mostly all figured it out...

Or not...
Old 05-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I think we've mostly all figured it out...
Yes, he shilled that last lot!
Old 05-09-2017, 01:30 PM
pete ullman

there were a few 51 mantle rookies in the 3-4 range ended last night w/pwcc...and I was surprised how low they sold for...definitely not shilled so it would seem!
Old 05-09-2017, 02:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
there were a few 51 mantle rookies in the 3-4 range ended last night w/pwcc...and I was surprised how low they sold for...definitely not shilled so it would seem!
The psa 3 and 5 were both well centered, and sold above the highest reported sale on vcp. The other two were way off center and sold below averages. This should not come as much of a surprise.