NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-09-2017, 12:42 PM

Default Question about 1935 National Chicle Clarke Hinkle #24

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Net54. Seems like an awesome site!

I've got a question about the 1935 National Chicle Clarke Hinkle #24. I noticed this card doesn't have the following on the bottom of the back of the card:

"one of 240 players with playing tips
1935 National Chicle Co. Cambridge, Mass. U.S.A."

I've checked out several separate auctions/pictures of the card and they are all missing that. Any idea why that is?

Thanks!

Last edited by jiovine22; 12-09-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:28 PM

Good question. I believe John Spano (MSB Sportscards) wrote an article for the Gridiron Greats magazine about back variations in the Chicle set - I will try and find that and see if he addresses your question. Here's pics of one with and one without the "one of 240 players with playing tips
1935 National Chicle Co. Cambridge, Mass. U.S.A."

Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 PM

Thank you!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Jeff P

I believe there are four back variations for the National Chicle set. One of these variations is missing the last two lines of text on the back. Others are variations on the Eddie Casey signature (position and/or size).

I think every cards from 1-24 has two different backs. Every card from 25-36 has only one back.

jeff
Old 12-10-2017, 05:32 PM

Interesting. I bought one that was already SGC graded. I noticed that it was missing that wording on the bottom back of the card, and thought it may have been a reprint that slipped through SGCs grading process. I’m glad to hear there are multiple variations. Appreciate the help!

Jerry
Old 12-11-2017, 06:43 PM
John

Great question! Doug Spanning's article in Gridiron Greats, Vol. 8, Issue No. 25, 2009 talks about back variations and the 60 (24x2 + 12) card master set. John didn't write this article, but he mentioned to me another difference that no one discusses much - pm me if interested. John also wrote (coauthored?) an article on the players from the set similar to what Jeff did in one of my favorite net54 threads.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 12-11-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Tags
1935, clarke hinkle, national chicle, rookie card