NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Default Flipping Rules:Queens, NYC ca. 1953

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I wonder how yours differed.

Here is the complexity I had to get straight: Flipping was conducted by scaling a card targeted to end up close to a wall or other upright surface. The closest card won all flipped.

1 - A leaner won over any card flipped, independent of that card's proximity to the base of the stoop. But leaners only paid single. Winner took all of the cards flipped.
2 - The way you beat a leaner is:
2a = knock it down with your flipped card
2b = get a leaner which partially covers the existing one
2c = if the second leaner does not partially cover the initial one, it is a leaner tie and both split the take of losing cards
But there is an exception to 2a. as follows: if the knocked down leaner lands partially on top of your card, your card is instantly declared a loser, and play proceeds until everyone has flipped the amount of cards previously specified. At the conclusion of flipping, the card closest to the base of the stoop takes all cards. There is no status to being a former leaner. The only thing that counts is the proximity to the stoop.
But there is an exception to this exception. Specifically
e - The stoop proximity winner is trumped by any card which partially covers it. If several cards cover it, they all split the winnings if none can be determined to be on top of the others.
If one can be established as on top, the on top card wins (but this would be on top of the cards which are on top of the card closest to the stoop base).
Of course the opposite to this exception is also true. That is if you knock down a leaner and your card winds up on the top of it, you take possession of the closest point either card has to the stoop base (unless a subsequently flipped card knocks you off of your "on top" position (much like shuffleboard).

Any questions?

Old 08-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

We mostly flipped "colors" on long island in the early 70's but some flipping was conducted scaling cards and dealing with leaners. In Hicksville, LI you had to knock down a leaner from the wall in order to claim superiority. Sometimes stacks of cards and side bets were happening. You might put 4-5 cards in astack and bet them on the outcome of a flip, either scaled or playing colors.

Colors means you had to match the color of the team name to win a stack. You held a deck and flipped one card each in order. A number of kids could play at one time. Spent hours/days/weeks/summers doing this in 70-71.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i never did this as a kid in chicago growing up in the 50's/60's and never saw it played. is this an east coast thing?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Humphrey: All right, settle down. Settle down... Now, before I begin the lesson, will those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut, unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you. Now...
Wymer: Sir?
Humphrey: Yes, Wymer?
Wymer: My younger brother's going out with Dibble this weekend, sir, but I'm not having my hair cut today, sir.
Pupils: [chuckling]
Wymer: So, do I move my clothes down, or...
Humphrey: I do wish you'd listen, Wymer. It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Adam: this the third forum you have impressed me on with your wit regarding my posts. Please do not stop now, you are on a roll. And as always, you are hilarious!
Gil