NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Roy Zalameda

Default Delays in Authentication from JSA

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced long delays in getting authentication services from James Spence. I took some items to him at the Chantilly show back in March. I dropped them off at the start of the show, then returned at the end of the show to pick up by LOAs. Everything was done except for the Snoopy drawing. They said that they needed more time to examine it. well, it's getting near June and I have not received anything. emails sent to JSA were replied with, " We're still examining it ". I can't believe this is normal ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snoopy.jpg (67.3 KB, 269 views)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 PM
David Linardy

Default jsa delays

I have used JSA for authentication on several occasions.. I have found their customer service to be excellent and turnaround times to be excellent... The only occasion which I experience a delay was when they needed additional time evaluating a signature (which I totally undderstand and appreciate). The outcome was that they couldn't render an opinion on the piece & my money was refunded...
Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

That is such an awesome Snoopy drawing!! What is the history on that? Usually they are pretty quick, could be tough getting the comparables certifying that he drew that IMO
Old 05-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Wayne Walker

Do they cert the drawing itself, or just the auto?

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 05-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Roy Zalameda

I picked up the Snoopy drawing years ago. Anyhow, I am not putting it up sale. I just wanted something for my files verifying it's authenticity. As to whether JSA will verify the drawing, signature, or both is a good question. I just filled in a standard submission form and paid $75 ? Hopefully, I will find out something very soon. In the mean time, I was going to send in another Snoopy drawing. It's a 3 X 5 card that has a drawing on one side and a signature on the other side. Enclosed are the scans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snoopy1.jpg (60.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Snoopy2.jpg (43.7 KB, 215 views)
Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

There are a number of schulz fakes out there, snoopy drawings and others, with a signature of schulz, and schulz himself has even been fooled by them. he recognized them as his work when it wasn't.

jsa authenticates autographs, so i would think they wouldn't try to authenticate the drawing, however if the drawing is fake, the signature certainly is too.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I know autograph alert did a bit piece on how many fake Peanuts drawings are out there a while back. It scared me off, that's for sure.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 PM

IMHO, those two items were not drawn and signed by the same person. The 3x5 is good; the larger drawing is not.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Steve Zarelli

Unless the provenance was impeccable, I'd be very wary of the Shulz (or Jimmy Stewart Harvey) drawings. Very simple drawings that would be way too easy to light board.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:46 PM

I used JSA last month for a Mantle ball that I knew was legit but needed a COA for selling purposes and they had it back to me a week after it reached them...I was pleasantly surprised
Old 05-16-2012, 09:01 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Maybe the inclusion of the drawing in the piece is what's causing a delay? I may be wrong here, but I would think most signature authenticators would be comparing the signature to their signature exemplars that they have on file. Otherwise, you're talking "art" authentication (though with a simple line drawing, that might be closer to comparing signatures than, say, a painting).

Just my 2 cents, with the caveat that I have no idea how JSA handles such pieces.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 AM

I would assume JSA authenticates the signature only, thought the quality of the sketch would aid in making judgment.

I had two Schultz signed peanuts artworks sent to a newspaper for publication. The provenance was strong as they came from an editor at the newspaper and the signatures were personalized to the editor.

Last edited by drc; 05-17-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Roy Zalameda

I appreciate everyone's opinions. I think that JSA is probably looking at the signature more than the sketch. If they are also examining the sketch, then I think I got my $75 worth. Anyhow, I am still waiting for their results.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 PM
FredYoung

I agree 100% w/ David---I do not think the same person did the drawing or the sig.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Roy Zalameda

I just received the submission results today. Results were positive on the signature. No mention on the drawing (JSA #X44518).

Roy Z.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 AM

I should note that my earlier post was meant to mean that I assume JSA doesn't authenticate sketches in general. I wasn't offering an opinion on if this particular sketch.

Last edited by drc; 06-12-2012 at 11:13 AM.