NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Frank Wakefield

Default Pacific Coast Biscuit Company magazine

I recently acquired a January 1925 issue of The Swas Tika. It was the company paper, company magazine for the Pacific Coast Biscuit Company.

Below are a few scans, the front page, part of the masthead, a column about the 6 locations they had at the time, and an image that shows Miss Emma Kemp wearing a work hat that has the Swastika on it. I have to imagine that by the late 30's the company had changed their company logo and the name of their 'paper'. There are 12 pages inside the cover. It has an image of inside a merchant's store showing a PCB display case, and a PCB delivery van.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 07-16-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Frank

I love that kind of stuff...Thanks for sharing!!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Steve Murray

Pacific Coast Biscuit Store Tins:

Top one in my collection. Bottom one offered on eBay year or so ago. Until I saw this post I was under the impression that the symbol was a Native America symbol for "Good Luck".

Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Steve Murray

Little Wiki research.

Referring to the symbol:

"By the early 20th century, it was widely used worldwide and was regarded as a symbol of good luck and success."
Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Bradley Holt

Default Native America symbol ??

It's just to bad that some groups of poeple used the Swastika for there own
personal agenda, truly a shame! For this reason I find this thread somewhat offensive.

A more detailed LOOK!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Nazi Party 1919 - 1945
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Party

Last edited by V117collector; 07-16-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Frank Wakefield

I detest what the swastika came to symbolize. And I apologize to anyone offended by my posting of the images of this company newsletter.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Frank- There is no need to apologize. Every time a person with a conscience sees that symbol he is reminded of man's inhumanity towards his fellow man and I believe will recall the words on the front gates of the Holocaust memorial I saw in France, "We will forgive but let us never forget."
Adolph Hitler was once asked if the world's perception of the Holocaust when it was in its earliest stages would cause dire fallout for Germany and Hitler said, "Who remembers the Armenians?" Today most Americans have little knowledge if any at all about the first mass genocide, the Turkish slaughter of hundreds of thousands of Armenian men, women and children during World War 1. Hitler foolheartedly thought the Holocaust would be as easily forgotten.
When I see that symbol I don't think of "good luck," I think of the horror and the tragedy and the utter inhumanity. It is good we remember. Let us never forget.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Rhett Yeakley

It is pretty sad when a symbol that meant something good for so long has been destroyed.

Anyways, here is a pretty cool postcard from 1907 I have and it's description on back...

-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Jon Canfield

And Troppicana thought it had problems when it had to rework its artwork earlier this year.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Frank Wakefield

In that 3rd image that is a close up of text mentioning the location of the 6 Pacific Coast Biscuit facilities, it mentions that president Moritz Thomsen is also president of Centennial Flour Mills. Centennial Flour distributed those PCL cards about 1943 - 1947. Before that I never perceived a connection between Pacific Coast Biscuit cards and Centennial Flour cards.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:47 PM

To tbob

Thanks for your words.

Right now, I am in the middle of reading a book called THE BOY WHO DARED, based on the true story of a Hitler Youth who hated what it meant to be part of the Third Reich and how he tried to stop them. If you get to read it, it is a great read. It was actually written for older children, my daughter had to read it for her private and school and gave it to me.

Sorry to get off topic, but I am afraid that we may revisit what occured at World War II, based on the way parts of our world are acting.

Frank L.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:07 PM

My memory may be faulty,but wasnt the swastika also an ancient Hindu religious symbol?

Personally, I am offended when I see an American citizen dressed in a Nazi uniform,but I'm never offended by talk of History. To be easily offended by words is to empower them.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Bradley Holt

Default propaganda tool

Words and symbols can be extremely powerful if you use them wisely. It is the unwise how try to manipulate “thought” for there own personal gain.. This concept has been repeated through world history which continues today. Why? People fear the unknown and would rather be controlled by the unwise.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:47 PM

cool, I love profound statements.
I think for the word unwise, you could substitute evil.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Chris Stufflestreet

Frank, I have been reading about both World Wars since I was 8 years old and never lost the sense that there can always be another global conflict because of the simple fact that we are human beings and don't always understand the power we wield. As long as there are at least two people on this planet, there is the possibility of conflict.

Those who came home from France after fighting what they called "The Great War" in 1919 told enough horror stories about what went on "Over There" that they were sure nothing like that could ever happen again...and look what happened just 20 years later. It is similarly naive (or hubristic) to assume that it won't happen again. Especially when those who remember those lessons from personal experienceare beginning to die off from old age.

Switching gears and returning to the thread topic...what a neat newsletter. I never knew that PCB used a swastika in its corporate identity. And viewed through the prism from 80 years later, it looks odd but is nonetheless a piece of history. And I'm guessing that a lot of the PCB stuff with swastikas on it were quickly discarded and destroyed because of the later events of history; it's neat to see something from a time where the symbol had an entirely different meaning.