NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Alex

Default Trout $144 mil/ 6 years

What a deal for the angels. This shows how ridiculous the Cabrera deal really is.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

10 year deals always work out great....

-Arod

God the Tigers better hope MC doesn't start breaking down soon.....it's not like he's in the best shape physically, he's already starting to get the injury bug
Old 03-29-2014, 06:49 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGuyTy View Post
10 year deals always work out great....

-Arod

God the Tigers better hope MC doesn't start breaking down soon.....it's not like he's in the best shape physically, he's already starting to get the injury bug

I thought the same thing on both accounts.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The SoCal teams made two good bets for long-term deals this season. Between Trout and Kershaw two of the best young [22 and 26, respectively] players in the game are committed for some time. Now granted, Kershaw has a strained muscle in his back right now, probably from that stupid friggin' trip to Australia. Being on a plane that long is not good] but I still think that the signing was a good bet to make given the last few seasons of work. The Trout deal was fantastic. He is so young that he will be in his prime throughout the deal that the Angels can build around him for a championship caliber team in 3-4 years.

As for the Cabrera signing, I agree w/the other sentiments above--he is all but certain to decline and break down well before the end of the deal.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-29-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Barry Sloate

The Angels will be getting six years of Trout in his prime, can't do better than that.

Tigers will get 3-4 really good years from Cabrera, then 6-7 years of headaches as his body starts to break down. If they simply offered him an eight year contract they could have avoided years nine and ten, two that are likely to be worthless.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:03 AM
Mike C@.v3

I think the Angels got off somewhat cheap with the signing of Trout. Arguably the best all around player in the game and at a very young age...could have asked for $30 mill a year and most likely got it. But I'm sure he'll get even more than that when his next contract is due.

As for Cabrera...the ten year deal is stupid and there's no doubt that they rarely ever work out for the team. However, you see some of these stars signing this sort of deal and I believe that what they are doing in this scenario is paying him for what he has already accomplished the past few years...something very rare with the two triple crowns. Maybe this sort of deal was what Miggy wanted and nothing less. What are the Tigers gonna do? Say no thanks and let him walk? We know that's not gonna happen. These teams make way too much money and can waste some, especially on the best hitter in all of baseball. Worth it if you ask me

The Hamilton and Pujols deals...yeah, the Angels look pretty dumb for those two signings.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
I think the Angels got off somewhat cheap with the signing of Trout. Arguably the best all around player in the game and at a very young age...could have asked for $30 mill a year and most likely got it. But I'm sure he'll get even more than that when his next contract is due.

As for Cabrera...the ten year deal is stupid and there's no doubt that they rarely ever work out for the team. However, you see some of these stars signing this sort of deal and I believe that what they are doing in this scenario is paying him for what he has already accomplished the past few years...something very rare with the two triple crowns. Maybe this sort of deal was what Miggy wanted and nothing less. What are the Tigers gonna do? Say no thanks and let him walk? We know that's not gonna happen. These teams make way too much money and can waste some, especially on the best hitter in all of baseball. Worth it if you ask me

The Hamilton and Pujols deals...yeah, the Angels look pretty dumb for those two signings.
I think more teams should let players walk. I think over the course of that deal you could make your team better by using the money to sign multiple players.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 03-31-2014, 07:31 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I think more teams should let players walk. I think over the course of that deal you could make your team better by using the money to sign multiple players.
Yes, this is very true. Full disclosure, I am a lifelong Yankee fan (no apologies when it comes to money, that just comes with the territory) and as surprised as anyone when the Yanks let Cano take a walk to Seattle. The Yanks have since plugged in some very credible players. I am looking forward to a promising season; no more, no less.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:31 AM

Just look at how the cardinals have managed since they let Pujols walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2014, 12:11 PM
octavio ranzola

goo Oakland as
Old 04-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Yes, this is very true. Full disclosure, I am a lifelong Yankee fan (no apologies when it comes to money, that just comes with the territory) and as surprised as anyone when the Yanks let Cano take a walk to Seattle. The Yanks have since plugged in some very credible players. I am looking forward to a promising season; no more, no less.
Smart move on the Yankees part. Cano's numbers were inflated by the stadium. Remember that Damon hit 20+ HRs there.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan44 View Post
Just look at how the cardinals have managed since they let Pujols walk

Look at Pujols has done since they let him walk.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Smart move on the Yankees part. Cano's numbers were inflated by the stadium. Remember that Damon hit 20+ HRs there.
Yes, and I could talk Brady going yard 50+ at Camden.

Paul
Old 04-02-2014, 12:16 AM
Alan U

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
The Angels will be getting six years of Trout in his prime, can't do better than that.

Tigers will get 3-4 really good years from Cabrera, then 6-7 years of headaches as his body starts to break down. If they simply offered him an eight year contract they could have avoided years nine and ten, two that are likely to be worthless.
The Tigers won't have to worry about years 6-10, the Yankees will have him for those years.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:11 AM
Mike C@.v3

I agree that teams need to let these "almost done with their prime players", walk. I'm very surprised some of these teams sign these huge, long term deals when they know these players only have probably 3-5 years left in the tank of serious baseball.

One thing to think about though is the amount of revenue these teams will generate because of these superstars joining their team. I'm sure when pujols joined the Angels, their merchandise profit blew up quite a bit. It's easy to think in just baseball terms, but if you really think about it, it's not all about winning, but making money on and off the field.

1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 04-02-2014, 06:47 AM
Alex

Mike - That's a good point. Still, I wonder if the Angels end up in the black after that deal is over. Maybe they do but maybe they don't.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6