NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default 1963 mickey mantle mask plaque

its in REA auction
1st one to make appearance
no tab but nice frame
Old 04-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
its in REA auction
1st one to make appearance
no tab but nice frame
I have a scan of another one with tab, so at least two out there but no evidence it is a Topps product other than say-so. Perhaps a Bazooka premium; if it appeared on a comic of the era that would be neat.

http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/se...0Mantle%20Mask
Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default mask

dave
i meant 1st to make appearance in major auction
the scan you have is my mask
larry
Old 04-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Larry:

If you don't mind, can you share how you obtained this piece? I would love to be able to get the Topps provenance on it as it's a bit of a mystery to this day. I have no idea where I got that scan from at this point.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:38 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default mantle mask

hi dave
in the last 20 years i have seen 5 masks now including the one coming up in REA..One had the entire wood looking frame cut off, the 2nd the wood looking frame was extremely poor and the mantle face was damaged...one i saw at the 500 hr show in ac in the 80s the other at the national in atlanta 1999 or 2000 i forget....neither had any remnant of the hanging tab... the 4th appeared on ebay in the last year and is the 2nd nicest ive seen and i purchased.. amazingly located 5 minutes from where i live it has 1/2 of the hanging tab...the 5th is in REAs auction and has the nicest frame ive seen except where the hanging tab is supposed to be..if it had the tab it would be the nicest...
the 3rd one is the one i own...B&E had it in an auction in 2001.. a few minor breaks on the underside of frame at the corners...and the only fully intact hanging tab ive ever seen
As for wheer they actually came from its hard to say as Ive never seen the ad...Lemke says he mustve been shown the wrapper as thats how it got in the book..Mile High actully told me that he had a bunch of those wrappers about 20 years ago..if his memory serves him right...REA is now saying they were told it was actually a cereal premium...send-a-way..
The fact that it was put in the book with the date of origin being 1963 tells me that whatever the evidence was at the time must have been solid enough for it to be included in the book...therefore either a wrapper or a comic book or magazine must have been shown otherwise how could the year have been ascertained

Last edited by sflayank; 04-10-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Thanks Larry. I would not think a wrapper ad exists in '63 but maybe one of those inserts they used to insert into the packs with premiums? I could see the cereal angle being legit though. Didn't he sell Maypo?